Need Linux Notepad replacement

Dos-Man

Well, windows has been getting on my nerves lately, too many crashes. I
need a break so I installed Red Hat 6.

Where are all the quality "Free" programs? It doesn't appear to come
with any.

Here is what I need:

1) Visual programming IDE
I need a vb or delphi clone for linux. The sooner I can start creating
Linux versions of my own software the better the chances I will stick
with it.

2) Notepad Replacement
Wasn't there a linux version of either Editpad or Metapad? I can't
remember which one, but I desperately need a half-decent text editor.

3) Program Launcher
Not having access to my ShellExec launch pad is a real punch in the
gut. Hopefully someone can recommend something similar.

4) Calendar Program
There is probably one somewhere but the OS comes with so many files it
makes it hard to find anything.

5) File Search utility.

6) DOS and/or Windows emulator.
Maybe I can run some of my programs on Linux if I'm lucky.

I need programs that are small enough to fit on floppy disks because
the OS does not appear to like my CD burner :(

dos-man

Wald

Dos-Man said:
Well, windows has been getting on my nerves lately, too many crashes. I
need a break so I installed Red Hat 6.

Red Hat 6?

If that is not a typo: why install such an outdated OS? Since version 6,
Red Hat progressed to version 9, and now the OS is continued in Fedora
Core, which is almost at version 3.
Where are all the quality "Free" programs? It doesn't appear to come
with any.

Install a modern distribution and things will become clearer.

Gambas would be the closest thing, I think: http://gambas.sourceforge.net/
2) Notepad Replacement
Wasn't there a linux version of either Editpad or Metapad? I can't
remember which one, but I desperately need a half-decent text editor.

nedit would be a standard choice on Linux.
3) Program Launcher
Not having access to my ShellExec launch pad is a real punch in the
gut. Hopefully someone can recommend something similar.

I don't know ShellExec, so can't say much.
4) Calendar Program
There is probably one somewhere but the OS comes with so many files it
makes it hard to find anything.

Try gnome-calendar, or Kalendar.
5) File Search utility.

Learn to work with the command line, that will give you the most powerful
tools for file searching.
6) DOS and/or Windows emulator.
Maybe I can run some of my programs on Linux if I'm lucky.

Windows emulator: wine is the standard, AFAIK.
I need programs that are small enough to fit on floppy disks because
the OS does not appear to like my CD burner :(

Then you still got some configuring to do. It might not work out of the
box, but you'll get it to work with some tweaking.

Regards,
Wald

news-server.sport.rr.com