Windows XP need info re: 3rd party search tools for XP

Reaction score
I have tried Copernic. It has many good features. However, it hogs memory. Using Process Explorer from www.sysinternals.com, I note that Copernic uses 100% of available memory when indexing even when it is set to run in the background, etc. As a result, it slows down my machine. The only alternative is manually to start it's indexing when I go to bed and remember to turn it off in the morning. A fairly crude workaround.

Does someone know how to make Copernic behave - i.e., stop its indexing when you start to work. I was unable to achieve that with any setting I tried.

Are there other programs, either free or commercial that allow efficient searches, both by file name and by contents for Windows XP platform?

Agent Ransack, located at:
http://WWW.MYTHICSOFT.COM/agentransack/download.aspxhas been suggested on this forum in the past. I have not had time to check it out.
[mucks edit: not on this site, unless you have a link to the thread]

Feel free to Cc: me at my personal email:

(e-mail address removed)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ted Dushane

Reaction score
idea from colleague - Google Desktop

Google desktop has been suggested for its search engine.

Any comments here?

tdushane

Reaction score
I think you should delete you email address:thumb:
I use google as do most people & find it OK.

Ask a Question