Need help with XP Remote Desktop

Reaction score
Peanut0715 said:
I have a Dell Inspiron E1405 Dual Core laptop at home and have the same exact problem you describe travis. When I connect to my Vaio 570P laptop at work via a VPN from the Dell laptop at home everything works fine. But when I remote connect to my Dell laptop from work it's hit or miss when I can connect. I get a black screen sometimes. When I can connect its fine but when I get home the screen on my laptop is blank/black and won't function so I have to reboot. Is this a Dell thing?

Crazy!!, It must be a Dell thing... Unless someone else can prove me wrong!! Damn Dell, Man I swear.. I'm slowly but surely regretting buying my Dell. Great support hardware wise.. but man their computer is so CHEAP! Anyway... anyone else having this problem??

MiG

Reaction score
Dell D620 vs. Dell D630?

Hello to everyone,

I have read the whole toppic as I am experiencing in some ways a similar issue in my environment.

Dell D620 with XP SP2, latest patches installed, drivers etc.
Dell D630 with XP SP2, latest patches installed, drivers etc.

These computers use a same "OS build" as I am working in a corporation scenario, they are connected in LAN, same Firewall version and settings. D620 works fine and no complains.

All by sudden, with D630, the RD stopped working. When I try to connect to D630 using RD, I get a black screen for approx. half a sec and then the RD says "Disconnected from server". I have tried to google something but came either to known issues with bitmap caching or to this forum ;)

I know this might be a tough one but if anyone else have encountered similar behaviour, any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

travis2006 said:
Crazy!!, It must be a Dell thing... Unless someone else can prove me wrong!! Damn Dell, Man I swear.. I'm slowly but surely regretting buying my Dell. Great support hardware wise.. but man their computer is so CHEAP! Anyway... anyone else having this problem??

Reaction score
travis2006 said:

Ok i'm having the same problem . My old dell laptop ran at 1024x768 and never had a problem connecting or kicking me off. Now i have 2 new laptops (Dell)widescreen and both have the same problem.

simptoms

Works fine rarely about 20%
can't log on..immediatley kicks me off after logon
When returning to the host computer sometimes the the screen is black and you can't revive it.

Reaction score
Posted fix didnt work for me

My RDP connection was working great... until some unknown event happened. I think it has something to do with a Java update that was performed by FireFox.

I have rolled back my system and removed the update.. but no good.

I am SSL'n through a Fortinet VPN (I had others test the connection, only my system doesn't work).
I didn't change anything but accept the updates that FireFox said I needed. I do any questionable browsing on a virtual machine so there is no chance that I DL'd any mal-ware/spy-ware.

My next step is to reload RDP from micro-soft

Any other ideas?

Reaction score
Black Screen with remote desktop

APIJunkie said:
Hi Guys,

I believe you are experiencing the same problem I had.

The solution to my problem was to disable the Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility and let Windows manage the wireless configuration.

You can read more about the problem and the solution at:
Fix for Remote Desktop Blank Screen Bug when using the Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility

Good luck

This is what sent me down the right path. I updated an Inspiron 1520 to XP Pro in order to log in remotely. I've never had any problems with remote desktop before. Anyway, the above bug fix states to either disable to DELL wireless utility and use windows to manage the connection or uninstall the Dell wireless card (Dell 1390 wireless card). Having windows manage the connection didn't fix it for me and uninstalling the card wasn't an option because it was the only wireless controller. I resolved the problem by using a LAN cable and abandoning WiFi for RDT. It works great. The simplest solution that for some reason I wasn't smart enough to try first.

Ask a Question