name, file as, display name

Paul

I now have Office 2003. Some of my contacts were imported (mostly from
Outlook Express), others have been added since. The details of Title, First
Name and Surname have been entered separately, not just as a composite
'name'. I have chosen to File As (for example) "Smith, John" and this all
works as expected in Address Card view.

However, the email addresses are displayed in different ways, some as "John
Smith <...>" (where <...> is the actual email address), others as "Mr John
Smith <...>", yet others just as "<...>". Why is this? Inclusion of the
title isn't very helpful as the list (that comes up when you click To in a
new mail window) then has lots of contacts under M ! I have edited some of
the display names manually to remove "Mr ", and they then appear in email
headers as "John Smith <...>", but the list is still sorted by name
(including title) rather than display name, so they are still all grouped
under M.

Furthermore, in Word when I insert a name/address from Contacts, both the
'name' and 'display name' in the list of contacts include the title.

Can anyone help with an explanation of how this all works, or is supposed to
work? Are there settings for any of it? Has it complicated the issue by
importing contacts rather than entering them all afresh? Advice will be much
appreciated.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

As a primer, to get you started:
You can sort the Outlook Address Book 2 ways:
1. First, Last
2. File As

If you see inconsistent sorting or display, examine your File As fields.
Imported Contacts often do not have their File As fields configured the way
you've specified for New Contacts.

Paul

Sorry to be unclear. The "File As" is working fine. I have problems in two
places.

The first is when I open a new mail message window to compose an email and
click the "To" button. A list comes up of all contacts with an email
address. How is this list sorted? (Below I shall call this List 1.)

The second is when I am in Word and press the "Insert Address" button. A
list comes up of all contacts. How is this list sorted? (Below I shall call
this List 2.)

These two lists are similar but not the same. Obviously List 2 contains all
contacts whether or not they have an email address; this is not the
difference I mean. The difference that I don't understand is that a
particular contact may appear in List 1 as (for example) "John Smith" but in
List 2 as "Mr John Smith".

I want to have the title ("Mr", etc) available for contacts so that I can
use it for addressing letters in Word. However, if this is included when
sorting, most records start with M. This wouldn't be so bad if the title
were part of EVERY record, but (as I explained in the previous paragraph)
this is not so. To find John Smith, I may have to look under J for John or M
for Mr. And it may be different in List 1 and List 2.

I hope this clarifies my question.

Russ Valentine said:
Unclear question. Displayed where?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Paul" <none> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[...]

Set the sort order of the Outlook Address Book here:
Tools > E-mail accounts > View or change existing directories or address
books > Outlook Address Book > Change.

To learn about ways to control how an Address is inserted into Word from
Outlook, take a look here:
http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/insword.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q134901

--
[...]