Windows Vista MyComputer problem

Reaction score
Vista 64bit pre-installed on an HP Pavillion PC, Model a6750Y

When I insert a mass storage device (USB Hard Disk, USB Thumb Drive, CompactFlash or SD Card), I hear the "beep-beep tone that a new device has been found, but it never shows up in MyComputer. I can only open it by going to Computer Managment/Disk Managment and opening the drive in explore from there.

Has anyone else seen this or have any tips for me to loook at?

(HP support was no help, but they did send 20-minutes online with me).

Thanks,
Steve Mann

Reaction score
SteveMann said:
Vista 64bit pre-installed on an HP Pavillion PC, Model a6750Y

When I insert a mass storage device (USB Hard Disk, USB Thumb Drive, CompactFlash or SD Card), I hear the "beep-beep tone that a new device has been found, but it never shows up in MyComputer. I can only open it by going to Computer Managment/Disk Managment and opening the drive in explore from there.

Has anyone else seen this or have any tips for me to loook at?

(HP support was no help, but they did send 20-minutes online with me).

Thanks,
Steve Mann

First off welcome to the forum...
happywave.gif

Does the device come wit a driver CD..? When plugging the device in does it ask you to install any drivers..? Does it show messages like " Your Device is ready to use"..The last but least is your USB device Vista 64 bit compatible.?Can you give names and spec of the USB Hdd, etc..? More info we have the better your chances we have of helpng you...And again welcome........................
happywave.gif
happywave.gif
happywave.gif

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:

1) Does the device come wit a driver CD..?
2) When plugging the device in does it ask you to install any drivers..?
3) Does it show messages like " Your Device is ready to use"
4) The last but least is your USB device Vista 64 bit compatible.?
5) Can you give names and spec of the USB Hdd, etc..?

Thanks for the interest in my problem....

1) No, see #5
2) No
3) Yes
4) see #5
5) The problem happens with any external storage device - a USB "thumb drive" or an HDD on a USB-IDE adapter.

In my 20-min online chat with HP tech support, we replaced the HP-supplied drivers.

It isn't a problem that the devices are not recognized because I can open them in explorer, and when done, I can click on the "safely remove" icon and it's in the list. The problem also presents when I plug in a Cardfile or SD card from one of my cameras. (The card readers are internal to the HP-PC and I suspect that they are plugged into a USB header on the MotherBoard). Also, there are no inop devices in the Control Panel/Device Drivers.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
As I said before an you give us the names and spec opf the USB deivices you are using...Yuo'd be supprised how much help that will be to us.....:thumb:

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
As I said before an you give us the names and spec opf the USB deivices you are using...Yuo'd be supprised how much help that will be to us.....:thumb:

And you would be surprised with the size of the list.

We have four workstations here, one running Vista and the rest running XP. Since two of the PC's are off the net, we use thumbdrives to exchange data files. They are everywhere from 256Mb to 16Gb, including SanDisk, Imation, Cruzer, Memorex, HP and no-name store branded drives from Micro Center. We also use various external hard-disks, both SATA and PATA through various USB adapters, from Memorex to no-name adapters. further, we also use some external PATA drives in FireWire enclosures by Buslink, ADS and some unbranded enclosures.

They all work on all computers. We can move files to or from any other PC in the shop. The only problem is that when I plug any of the above mentioned drives into the Vista PC, and I do get the "beep-beep" tone indicating that a new device is connected, I do not see the drive in "MyComputer".

I go to Control Panel/Computer Management/Device Management and open the drive in explorer from there, and it reads and writes just fine.

Since the problem presents using the Firewire interface, I don't think it's a USB problem.

Thanks for the help.
Steve Mann

Ask a Question