My New Toy

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Nothing too flash, just a new clock radio.

It's called an iHome, docks my 30Gb I-Pod and really does sound rather superb.

No DAB radio but has FM & MW and I can wake up to buzzer, radio or my I-Pod.

It also charges up the mp3 player and of course I can play the I-Pod on it, currently it's about one third full, 9.5Gb worth of songs on there.

It cost £100.00 from the Apple shop in Bluewater.

Groovy :)

iHome.jpg

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
exmoor said:
£100 does that include the iPod?
Looks very nice in deed:thumb:

Nope, the I-Pod cost £190.00 from Amazon.

It costs £220.00 in most High Street stores.

It plays videos as well, currently have 3 hour concert by Pink Floyd at Earls Court '94 on there, copied over from VHS tape.

Reaction score
Very smart mr flopps:cool: :thumb:
Must upgrade from my tape walkman sometime:blush:
Blimey i must be up on technology seems i have the same mobile phone as you:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
murdoch said:
Very smart mr flopps:cool: :thumb:
Must upgrade from my tape walkman sometime:blush:
Blimey i must be up on technology seems i have the same mobile phone as you:D

Yep, technology moves on.

It's been chronicled elsewhere but basically Apple are overpriced, no doubt about that.

But their stuff looks good, like a fool I was seduced by it. I am happy with the I-Pod & I-Home, I'm just waiting for first invoice for I-Pod battery replacement though.

Why do Apple seal their units I wonder? Simple. To squeeze more money out of gullible idiots like me.

Apple charge £80.00 to replace I-Pod battery, and it's a pretty crap battery. It will last about 15 months.

Go to Kustom PC's, browse for I-Pod batteries, buy replacement kit - with superior battery - for around £20.00.

Yep, I know, I should have bought a Creative Zen.

Still, gotta say I like that i-Home thing, much to my shame, lol

And Murdoch, that ain't my mobile phone, that's a Panasonic landline remote phone, bought it from an online site Itsme recommended. My mobiles actually just behind it though you can't make it out, Samsung D500, half the size of the Panasonic yet still kinda out-dated.

Technology moves on.

It really is about time you considered updating that 8-Track player in your Ford Capri :)

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
Does the Ihome come with a remote control? or do you have to press teh buttons on the console????

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The remote control's laying just to the right of the I-Pod in the photo. It's the light grey thingie.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
And very nice too mr flopp's....;) But £100 ouch...I bet that hurt, but it does look kinda nice, hope it sounds as good as it looks....

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hmm, it does sound good, very very good in fact.

Price? It probably sounds like 80 quids worth of good, not 100 quids worth of good.

Which, as we all know, is par the course for Apple products.

Still, am happy with it, I'd been looking for some time for a replacement for my knackered clock radio (which I think was about ten years old, cost about £12.50 and sounded like *** :D )

I'm wondering what old men and gadgets, the main Apple freak on this forum, makes of my decision?

At least I'm honest :)

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Yep, technology moves on.

Apple charge £80.00 to replace I-Pod battery, and it's a pretty crap battery. It will last about 15 months.

Go to Kustom PC's, browse for I-Pod batteries, buy replacement kit - with superior battery - for around £20.00.

Yep, I know, I should have bought a Creative Zen.

Zens are good but I replaced my battery about 12months after i bought it. Problem being I hardly used it I guess. it just went dead on me. Anyway got one from these guys less than a tenner BARGAIN

The iPod one might be a bit cheaper here m8, dunno tho £20 seems a good deal

http://www.global-batteries.co.uk/

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for comments all :)

Mr Dread, the batteries from Kustom PC's are actually a kit. Besides the battery you get most of the tools you'll need plus a comprehensive set of instructions.

And when it comes to I-Pods, you'll probably need instructions as none of them have any obvious means of disassembly. I believe on my one I have to use a hot air gun to soften glue to prise the two halves apart.

Apple really didn't want you to replace the battery yourself, not when they can make lots of money doing it for you.

Ask a Question