My First Thread With Linux!!

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Just installed Suse10 - took around 3 hours, but seems to be working OK at the moment - at least I've got internet access!!:thumb:

I'm off to bed now and will configure it further tomorrow, must get it up and crunching ASAP :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well done mate. Mucks will be proud, more so when its crunching!! :p

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Vanilla Radio said:
Well done mate. Mucks will be proud, more so when its crunching!! :p
Sorry, not my doing ... Suse does make it easy.

The reason it takes so long is it looks for your internet connection during install, if that fails, give up there and fix it, but then proceeds to get updates and fixes before finishing the install.

Well done Ady. :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Good going mate! Is that on your main machine?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
No I'm just trying it out first on my old 950 Duron at the moment - depending on how I get on, I may put it on a few others:thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
kingnathski88 said:
Congrats :thumb: whats it like compared to windows?

Very weird - its just a case of getting used to it, I suppose I felt like that when I first used Windows.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Thanks Flops, I will give them a good peruse - one thing you might be able to help me with is how to turn off the screensaver and power options so the moniter stays on full time? :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Thanks Flops, I will give them a good peruse - one thing you might be able to help me with is how to turn off the screensaver and power options so the moniter stays on full time? :)
You'll laugh ...

Right-click the desktop ... Configure Desktop / Disply / Power Control

There is other way ... The little green Gecko "start button" ... System / Desktop Applet / Kpowersave

... want another? :p

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
You'll laugh ...

Right-click the desktop ... Configure Desktop / Disply / Power Control

There is other way ... The little green Gecko "start button" ... System / Desktop Applet / Kpowersave

... want another? :p
I've unchecked the enable display power management there already Mucks - and also under Screen Saver / Settings I have unchecked Start Automatically - but the monitor is still going into standby after a few minutes:confused:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Do you have Kpowersave down on the right (in the kicker) ... if so, edit its General Settings, Autostart and Quit the program NOT to start again ... it is for Laptops, why we have it on a PC is, well I don't know.

:thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
I actually keep standby for the monitor turned on ... as everything is left on 24/7 I like to put the monitor on stanby ... I set it for 13mins, even my printer goes into stanby :D

I never turn anything off at the power switch ... well, only when I go inside. :thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
I moved your thread Ady.

Need to know how far you have got with the 'reposotories' before we look at CPU/Temp monitor ... it will be easier to install once you have them set.

If you use the "Konsole" and this link http://susewiki.apanela.com/goodlinks:yast_sources it is easier than the GUI

:thumb:
No problem Mucks - will be easier to help from here!:thumb:

I have been using Installation Source within YaST to add repositories so far as I can't seem to work out how to input it within Konsole - that link says 'as root in a console type' then gives a command string, but it has an round green icon just before the http bit - how do I get that in there?

I presume you then start adding the string in Konsole after the 'adywebb@linux:^>' bit and then press enter?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Ok I've now added all those repositories in that link via YaST - plus a couple more I got from another guide - is that OK, or can they duplicate/conflict?

Now what do you want me to do with them?:)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Ok I've now added all those repositories in that link via YaST - plus a couple more I got from another guide - is that OK, or can they duplicate/conflict?

Now what do you want me to do with them?:)
Yes that globe can be a little anoying but then I used copy-n-paste ... :p

Not a worry as long as you have them. Oh, and I have extra as well. :thumb:

Go to YaST Control Center / Installation Source ... insure that the 'Satus & Refresh' is both ON ... even for the CD. I learned that to have the CD, sorry DVD, in the drive before looking for anything to install or update ... amazing how much is on the DVD. :thumb:

Do that before doing the following ...

Now having added those sources, we can proceed to looking for updated packages.

1. Open YaST
  2. Click ‘Software Management
  3. Change the filter from ‘Search’ to ‘Packge Groups
  4. Select ‘zzz All’ at the bottom of the list of ‘Package Groups
  5. In the top right window, listing all of the packages, Right Click any of the packages
  6. Choose ‘All in this List’ → ‘Update if Newer Version Available
  7. Now change the filter to ‘Installation Summary’ to see what packages will be updated
Tick the "Autocheck" box and press accept ... if there are no dependency issues all will proceed

LEAVE THE COMPUTER ALONE UNTILL FINISHED! ;)

http://susewiki.apanela.com/tutorials:update_all_installed_packages

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Okey Dokey - will give it a go shortly:thumb:

I had to use the 5 CD setup as this rig only has a CDRW, so its gonna be a problem selecting the right CD. However one of the repositories points to the complete install package, so I assume it will find it there?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Okey Dokey - will give it a go shortly:thumb:

I had to use the 5 CD setup as this rig only has a CDRW, so its gonna be a problem selecting the right CD. However one of the repositories points to the complete install package, so I assume it will find it there?
OK, you may have to change CDs, maybe not.

But be sure to leave it running as sometimes it may look as though it has hung. Your fast cable may help out here.

Are you sure we can see that Linux Registration badge. hahaha :D

Ask a Question