Windows XP my ethernet port is broken

Reaction score
i just noticed that my ethernet port, while plugged in will not read the cord. It says: Network connection unplugged, when clearly it is plugged in. I don't know what to do. I asked the IT department at my school, but they are students... i was just wondering what you thought. I suppose i'll have to send it back.. it s actually an IBuddie4 computer, so there is lifetime repair. so that's good i guess, but what else could it be.?

Reaction score
Diebel02,

Afternoon

It will say connection unplugged if there is no connection at the other end of the cable eg, server, check that side of things before reporting any fault. also check that the NIC (Network Interace Card) is installed correctly.

whats this about lifetime repair???

there must be a catch somewhere in the small print!!!

Regards

J

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
First, try a substitute cable, making sure both ends are pushed firmly home.

If the fault's still there, as Techy says, make sure Network card is installed correctly and take a look at software settings.

What does the other end of the cable connect to, btw?

I'm assuming it is a NIC card you have, and not onboard LAN, btw.

If substitute cable and all other checks fail, suspect LAN card or on board LAN failure and make use of that rather unusual guarantee :)

Ask a Question