    Certified Computer Equipment.

    --
    Jim Hansen

    Guest, Mar 22, 2007

  2. Usually a symptom of Explorer crashing & restarting...any clues in the Event
    Log?

    --
    Good Luck,

    Keith
    Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

    Keith Miller MVP, Mar 22, 2007

  3. I don't have a solution to the problem itself, but "Icon Restore" is a
    great, free app for periodically saving your desktop icon layout and
    then restoring it again whenever it gets messed up. I've been using it
    since Win98 and it works just as well in Vista. It sure saves a lot of
    time otherwise spent rearranging icons. It can be found here:

    http://users.rcn.com/taylotr/icon_restore.html

    Daze

    -------------------

    Daze N. Knights, Mar 22, 2007

    Yes there are a some Explorer 1000 errrors in the Event log:

    Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp
    0x4549b091, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp
    0x4549bdc9, exception code 0xc0000374, fault offset 0x000af1c9, process id
    0x15cc, application start time 0x01c76c34dcc925a5.
    The description for Event ID 1000 from source Application Error cannot be
    found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your
    local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair
    the component on the local computer.

    If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to
    be saved with the event.

    The following information was included with the event:

    explorer.exe
    6.0.6000.16386
    4549b091
    SHELL32.dll
    6.0.6000.16386
    4549bdb4
    c0000005
    0010346d

    The substitution string for insert index (%1) could not be found

    --
    Jim Hansen

    Guest, Mar 22, 2007

    I installed Icon Restor and get some interesting results. Restore Icons has
    the same problem as reboot. But, that helps to identify the problem. It
    appears the Inter Explorer Link wants to be on the left edge of the desktop.
    If it is not there, it puts it self there when the desktop is restored
    pushing down other links which in turn scrambles all links after that to make
    room.

    --
    Jim Hansen

    Guest, Mar 22, 2007

    There have not been any crashes or errors between the last 10 reboots and
    still everytime my icons get rearranged. Vista is too expensive and took too
    many years in development for these types of issues to be occuring. These
    are the BASICS. Come on!

    Come on Microsoft I have been a fan and huge supporter of yours for decades.
    This is just not acceptable. I am ready to dump Vista.

    These is just not enough pluses for all the negatives. Vista is slower than
    XP, it may be more stable, but that is only the OC. Programs crash much more
    than with XP. I am just SOOOOO disappointed with vista right now.

    --
    Jim Hansen

    Guest, Mar 22, 2007

    Daze,

    Even Icon Restore does not restore the Icons 100% after a reboot. Vista
    really was not ready for release.

    --
    Jim Hansen

    Guest, Mar 22, 2007
  8. On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 07:33:03 -0700, Jim Hansen
    <> wrote:

    >There have not been any crashes or errors between the last 10 reboots and
    >still everytime my icons get rearranged. Vista is too expensive and took too
    >many years in development for these types of issues to be occuring. These
    >are the BASICS. Come on!
    >
    >Come on Microsoft I have been a fan and huge supporter of yours for decades.
    > This is just not acceptable. I am ready to dump Vista.

    Windows resorting the Desktop icons for no apparant rhyme or reason is
    a long running issue that's been in XP and prior versions and is one
    of the things I'm referring to when I say Microsoft never seems to get
    around to fixing what's broke in older versions before releasing new
    versions which only adds to the number of bugs.

    Adam Albright, Mar 22, 2007
  9. I'm sorry to hear that Icon Restore didn't help deal with the problem.
    But as I said, I didn't expect it to solve the underlying problem
    itself, whatever that may be. *My* Vista has none of the issues that you
    say you are experiencing, so I know that your issues are not given
    features of Vista, but something wrong with your particular
    installation. So, if I were in *your* shoes, my choice would be to do a
    complete reinstall of Vista, but then again, someone else more
    Windows-savvy than myself may yet come by with a diagnosis offering a
    simpler solution.

    Daze N. Knights, Mar 22, 2007

    This was NEW CLEAN All new hardware install just three weeks ago. If I have
    to do re-installs that often, I will start a class action lawsuit first.

    Quite frankly, the reintall is a solution for ignoring what is causing the
    problem to begin with. Microsoft needs to step up to the plate. They have
    more than enough money and there is no excuse for all these problems.

    --
    Jim Hansen

    Guest, Mar 22, 2007
  11. OK. Sorry for suggesting it. I can appreciate your frustrations. But all
    I said was, "If I was in your shoes . . ." Yet, you're not me, and
    maybe, for you, starting "a class action lawsuit" or waiting for
    Microsoft to "step up to the plate" might, indeed, be preferable courses
    of action for seeking a resolution to your Vista issues. Did you try
    phoning Microsoft technical support to let them know about your problems
    and give them a chance to offer a non-reinstall solution?

    Daze
    -------------

    Daze N. Knights, Mar 22, 2007

    Daze,

    I understand your suggestion and appreciate your help. If I had been
    running Vista for several months I might consider it. It is just poor that
    all too often that is the only solution to correct the OS issues. It should
    NOT be that way.

    This is MICROSOFT'S site. It was my understanding that they are
    administering this site and are monitoring it. I get here from Vista help.
    So, I hope Microsoft is paying attention to what is being said here and will
    put effort into fixing the problems as quickly as possible.

    My point about the Class Action Suite is maybe it is time for Microsoft's
    users to speak up. Unlike other versions of Windows OS, the User was forced
    not only spend much higher price for the new OS, but also considerable
    dollars in new hardward. Upgrading to XP from Windows 2000 Pro was about
    $150 and other than possibly adding more memory, that was it. Upgrading from
    XP to Vista I spend over $1,400 by the time I upgraded all my hardware.
    Going from 2000 to XP was a HUGE improvement in performance, stability,
    features... So far, Vista is just a mountain of annoyances (to protect
    Microsoft), incompatibilities like crazy, programs crashing all the time but
    you get some cool graphics. And OS is SLOWER than XP in almost every way.
    Unfortuneately the recent Apple commercial about the Vista upgrades are just
    to true.

    Step back and think about the differances in the upgrade between Vista and
    other versions of windows and you will see why I even mention Class Action
    Suit could be coming. This is NOT the same as previous upgrades. Microsoft
    needs to step up to the plate.

    THANK GOD I decided against installing the 64 bit version of Vista!

    --
    Jim Hansen

    Guest, Mar 23, 2007
  13. Have you looked into the possibility that your Vista troubles are
    related to your video card? I imagine you already have installed the
    latest drivers for it. Do you have another video card available that you
    could swap with it to see if the problems persist or go away?

    Daze

    ------------------

    Daze N. Knights, Mar 23, 2007

    Daze,

    One of the things I did is make sure all my components were Vista Certified.
    My video card is an ATI X1950 Pro with the latest Vista Drivers. I was very
    anal about everyting being totally Vista compliant. This is another reason I
    am less than please with my results so far. I spent the money to based on
    what Microsoft said wast best. My Windows Experiance Index is 5.8 with the
    only item pulling it down is my Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 getting a 5.8. My
    video card got a 5.9.

    So if it is my video card then Microsoft should not have certified it.

    --
    Jim Hansen

    Guest, Mar 23, 2007
  15. OK. Just a possibility to check out if you're into troubleshooting
    potential hardware problems. If you're not, you're not. Did your issues
    arise immediately after installing Vista, or only after installing other
    software?

    Daze

    ---------------

    Daze N. Knights, Mar 23, 2007

    No my problem came out of no where like others. If it were any of my
    hardware I would have seen the symptons right away. Vista is the problem.
    --
    Jim Hansen

    Guest, Mar 23, 2007
  17. So the problems were there in your clean install of Vista before you
    installed any other software at all?

    Daze

    Daze N. Knights, Mar 24, 2007

    In addition to Windows "rearranging" my desktop icons, it appears that it
    also forgets the pixellation of the desktop, and reverts back to the default
    setting of 1028 x 720. I am trying Icon Restore, and will let you know what
    the outcome is.

    Larry

    Guest, Apr 7, 2007