    I want to have both excel 97 and excel 2002 running on the same system
    for testing purposes.

    KenM

    Ken Macksey, Feb 7, 2004

  2. Ken Macksey

    Ken Macksey Guest

    Re: MVP's?? Excel 97 AND Excel 2002???

    Sorry, the subject above should have read 2002.

    KenM

    Ken Macksey, Feb 7, 2004

  3. Ken Macksey

    Chip Pearson Guest

    Ken,

    Yes, you can run Office 97 and Office 2002 on the same machine.
    First, remove Office XP. Then install Office 97. Finally,
    reinstall Office 2002. During the installation process, be sure
    to specify different folders for 97 and 2002, and be sure to
    select the "Keep Existing Versions" option during the 2002
    install process.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    "Ken Macksey" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Does anyone know if it is possible to successfully install and

    run Excel 97
    > on a system that is currently running Win xp pro and Office xp

    2002?

    Chip Pearson, Feb 7, 2004
  4. Ken Macksey

    Ken Macksey Guest

    Thanks for the info Chip.

    KenM

    Ken Macksey, Feb 7, 2004

  5. >-----Original Message-----
    >Hi
    >
    >Does anyone know if it is possible to successfully

    install and run Excel 97

    Ken

    Yes, go ahead and install it.

    Regards
    Peter

    Peter Atherton, Feb 8, 2004
  6. Ken Macksey

    Tom Ogilvy Guest

    Bad advice - see Chip's answer.

    --
    Regards,
    Tom Ogilvy

    Tom Ogilvy, Feb 8, 2004
  7. Hi Ken!

    I'd add to Chip's answer out of caution more than any bad experiences.

    Firstly, after uninstalling Office 2002, run a Registry cleaner to get
    rid of anything that uninstalling has still left behind. Using Norton
    Systemworks I find that there's quite a lot left behind.

    Secondly, I think that after a basic install of Excel 97 you should
    apply all the updates as well before you proceed to Office 2002.

    I adopted this process with installs of 97, 2000, 2002 and 2003 and
    have had no problems.
    --
    Regards
    Norman Harker MVP (Excel)

    available free to good homes.

    Norman Harker, Feb 8, 2004
  8. Ken Macksey

    Ron de Bruin Guest

    >Secondly, I think that after a basic install of Excel 97 you should
    >apply all the updates as well before you proceed to Office 2002.

    See this KB for all the 97 updates
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=232652

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003)

    Ron de Bruin, Feb 8, 2004
  9. Ken Macksey

    Don Guillett Guest

    To add my two cents. Generally I agree with all that was said about best to
    have the oldest first and newest last. BUT, my Dell came with Office sba
    2002 installed. I installed xl95 and then xl97 sr2 and had NO problems. I
    repeat, NO problems. All three work just fine. So, best to uninstall the
    new, install the old re-install the new. BUT, you could try it, as I did,
    and see what happens.

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software

    Don Guillett, Feb 8, 2004
  10. Ken Macksey

    Ken Macksey Guest

    Thanks again to all for the information.

    KenM

    Ken Macksey, Feb 8, 2004
  11. Ken Macksey

    Ken Macksey Guest

    Hi Again

    I decided to take Don's advice and just try a direct install to a new
    folder. The thought was that since I only wanted to install excel 97 it
    would be quick and there was not much to lose. If worse came to worse and it
    did not work, I would uninstall all and start over following the probably
    more sound route advised.

    It did seem to work fine however and so far no problems with either Excel
    97 or Excel 2002.

    Thanks again

    KenM

    Ken Macksey, Feb 8, 2004