Music Revisited

Let me start by saying two things. First, I'm a newbie to PowerPoint,
so be kind. Secondly, I'm using PP 2000 from MS Office 2000 Pro
installed on a WinXP OS.

I have read all the info from rdpslides and John's link to PP 97 [which,
sadly, does NOT apply to MY version of 2000 as that file is not on the
disk], and while I am doing everything that has been suggested in those
wonderful help pages, I STILL cannot get music to play past the first
slide after I've uploaded my file to the internet. [I have not tried
the .html work around as of yet.] I have uploaded this short
presentation as a .ppt and as a .pps file [my preferences for this,
embedding the music as both a .wav and an .mp3 [not at the same time],
and have tried uploading both of those files as well. I would like the
music to start on the first slide, which is a title slide, but even the
hyperlink option is greyed out. The presentation works fine within the
PP application, but does not work when I upload it; the music stops on
the first slide. I've gone through the Custom Animations, and set the
music to stop after slide 999, even though there are only 24 slides,
including the title page. I have the music set to loop until stopped
under Sound Options/Play Options. Basically, I've done everything I've
seen suggested, to no avail.

At this point, I'm extremely frustrated at trying to make this work.
This isn't a major production for work or anything like that. This is a
small tribute to my wife for our anniversary on the 20th, and was
hopefully only going to be viewed by a small number of people to whom I
sent the link to my website. I thought maybe the problem was on my
computer, so to make sure, I checked from my wife's computer, and yup,
the music does stop after the first slide.

Any suggestions, besides the two articles and John's link to the
microsoft knowledge base article 176565 for PP 97 [it even says at the
bottom it's for 97 and does not include PP 2000 in the list that the
article applies to]?

Thanks

Jason
(e-mail address removed)

Steve Rindsberg

Hi Jason,

Let ME start by saying: We're always kind to everybody, especially
newcomers. Except to Brian. We bash him about a bit, but he's from New
York. He's used to it. If you need to vent, we rent him out at very
reasonable rates.

Now. You mention embedding your sound as wav and as mp3. That leads me to
wonder about how you've done this - see, PPT won't embed mp3s, only WAVs,
and then only if they're smaller than the max size you've set in Tools,
Options, General, "Link sounds with file size greater than XX kb"

I'd try removing the sound, bumping that value up way high, then reinsert
the sound as a WAV using Insert, Movies and Sounds, Sound from File.

That will ensure that the sound is embedded in the presentation. Verify
this by checking the size of the pressie after you save it. The PPT file
should be bigger than the size of the sound file, else the sound file's not
embedded.

I'd then suggest to the people who'll be viewing this that they rightclick
the link, choose Save Target As and download the file to their own PC for
playback. Weird stuff happens when you view PPTs in a browser, and that
might account for what you're seeing.

--
Posted to news://msnews.microsoft.com
Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP

Steve said:
Hi Jason,

Let ME start by saying: We're always kind to everybody, especially
newcomers. Except to Brian. We bash him about a bit, but he's from New
York. He's used to it. If you need to vent, we rent him out at very
reasonable rates.

Yeah, but is HE reasonable when you rent him out? ;)
[...]

I dunno, Steve. Everything you mentioned I had already done and at the
time I posted, just could NOT get that sucker to run. I even downloaded
the correct version of the viewer and installed it on my wife's
computer, and the music just wouldn't go any further than that first
slide. I did rest the file size to 50,000 kb, but it still didn't work.
However, I think when I did that I did not remove the .wav file and
then re-insert it, so I tried doing that again tonight, and re-uploaded
the file and now, from my wife's computer, the presentation works! I
just wasn't going the one logical step further to ensure that it was
embedded. Thanks for the clear instructions! Makes me feel better now,
and now I think I can get some sleep between now and our anniversary. :)

Thanks for your help!

Jason
(e-mail address removed)
--