Multiple access databases

In our department we have around 10 databases that users use. Each one DB
perform different jobs. Most of the employee are now confused as there are so
many databases

I was thinking to have like one main menu that leads into opening these
different databases.

something like have a main menu with command buttons, when the use clicks on
the button it should open that database and when when they close it should
take them to the main menu again.

Is this possible?? and is this a good idea?If this is possible, please
advice how i need to do this!!

I have never done something like this before and do not know how to do it. I
need all the information i can get from you.

Thanks a lot!!!

dimpie,
This is the situation that is the very reason that some IS departments will
not allow Access Databases to be created in their company. Think of this, 10
databases in just your department, and how many departments in your company?
This is also the situation that exists that has kept many of us employed ;)

I was involved in a situation like this a few years ago. A company with
some rather smart and creative people had over the years created some rather
powerful and complicated Access databases. However, because each of the
databases was created independently, sometimes there would be conflicts in
the data, either input issues or calculation issues. They could not
determine which was the correct data.

So the hammer came down, NO MORE ACCESS DATABASES! You can imagine the
screams from the users who had always had the ability to edit code and manage
the data as they saw fit! Being as it was a large corporation, it became
very political very quickly. It took some YEARS of doing (about 3??) , but
the company database issue is no longer a headache maker.

With a few exceptions, here is what they did: ONE Database for the whole
company. While users may have different avenues of approach to that data, one
database for even a large company is usually sufficient. The users front
ends are written in Access and Java, with the goal to move entirelly to Java.
What this did is forced the company to create some business rules for the
data. Also data integrity was vastly improved and double (or sometimes
triple, quadruple...) data entry was reduced dramatically. Most of the
exceptions involve either purchased products or those that actually made
sense to be in Access.

It wasn't easy, and there are still people in that company that don't like
me (and I'm a heck of a likable guy!), but in the end the company has data
that gives them much more usuable and accurate information, which is what all
this database stuff is about anyway.

As a first step, I would begin with documenting what you have now. Start
figuring out if there is replicated data and double entry. Perhaps it might
be of value to bring in outside help that doesn't have a vested interest in
any one solution to give you guidance.

The idea of putting a panel for access to the databases is interesting, and
it might help you to help your users have handier access to the data, but
it's not your real issue.

Hope I didn't discourage you too much!

Rich

Andy

I have developed a SwitchBoard database which does what I think you
desire. It's sole purpose is to open another database. It uses two list
boxes on the main form for selecting the database, and will download it
to the users machine if requested (this is the preferred option as
downloaded databases will run faster from the local hard drive versus
the file server). The switchboard database usually resides on the
server, and will open the selected database from wherever it resides,
either server or client.

I will send it to you if you like. It is free.

It was originally developed in A97, and recently converted to A2000 and
A2003.

Andy

Joined
Nov 18, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

dimpie wrote:
> In our department we have around 10 databases that users use. Each one DB
> perform different jobs. Most of the employee are now confused as there are so
> many databases
>
> I was thinking to have like one main menu that leads into opening these
> different databases.
>
> something like have a main menu with command buttons, when the use clicks on
> the button it should open that database and when when they close it should
> take them to the main menu again.
>
> Is this possible?? and is this a good idea?If this is possible, please
> advice how i need to do this!!
>
> I have never done something like this before and do not know how to do it. I
> need all the information i can get from you.
>
> Thanks a lot!!!

Andy, this sounds great - could you please send me a copy of the database - 2003 if possible