MSN Messenger vs. Windows Messenger

K

keith

I am using Windows XP.

What are the differences between MSN Messenger vs.
Windows Messenger?

Do I need both? If not, then which one should I
install/use?

In addition, do I need to disable my "Internet Connection
Firewall" in my Wireless Network Connection Properties to
have a audio/video conversation with my friend who is
using Windows Me and MSN Messenger 6.0?

Thanks for your assistance.

J

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Greetings Keith,

Which one you use is entirely up to you -- however, here are some of the differences.

Most notably, MSN Messenger 6 has support for display pictures, custom emoticons, has a
different interface, etc. whereas Windows Messenger supports SIP-based communications
services, Exchange IM Server, etc. Which one you use is up to you, and a matter of personal
choice (and based upon your needs and likes), however one thing to keep in mind, Windows
Messenger must still be installed on Windows XP in order for MSN Messenger to retain full
functionality (Remote Assistance, Whiteboard, Application Sharing, etc.).

MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member Profiles, MSN
Mobile, etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies (Exchange
Server, Office Live Communications Server/Greenwich, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).

Both clients however can make use of Microsoft technologies, like the .NET Messenger service
and .NET Passport.

You shouldn't need to disable the ICF (it should open the required ports automatically), but
if you encounter problems, you may want to try turning it off.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com

Ask a Question