MSN Messenger Two System Tray Icons

K

Karine Rivet

Since upgrading first to MSN Messenger 6 and now MSN Messenger 6.1 every time I reboot my computer I get two MSN Messenger icons in
my system try and one of them is just a black square. Neither of the icons auto-logs itself in. If I exit out of one of them both
of them exit it out and then if I manually start MSN Messenger again I get just the one normal icon in the system tray and it
auto-logs itself in and works fine. If I uninstall MSN Messenger and go back to using just Windows Messenger 5 the mysterious
double icon/square icon problem goes away, but as soon as I reinstall MSN Messenger the double icon/square icon problem returns.
It's easy enough to work around by simply closing and reopening MSN Messenger once my computer if fully up, but it would be nice if
I could make it go away.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

J

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Greetings Karine,

This won't solve your square icon problem (which is with MSN Messenger 6.x), but you can stop
Windows Messenger from starting (and therefore only have one icon). To do so, double-click
the Windows Messenger icon, choose the Tools menu, then Options, then Preferences tab,
uncheck 'Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts' and click OK. You can then shut down
Windows Messenger once again, and it shouldn't load again.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com

Karine Rivet said:
Since upgrading first to MSN Messenger 6 and now MSN Messenger 6.1 every time I reboot my
computer I get two MSN Messenger icons in
my system try and one of them is just a black square. Neither of the icons auto-logs
itself in. If I exit out of one of them both
of them exit it out and then if I manually start MSN Messenger again I get just the one
normal icon in the system tray and it
auto-logs itself in and works fine. If I uninstall MSN Messenger and go back to using just
Windows Messenger 5 the mysterious
double icon/square icon problem goes away, but as soon as I reinstall MSN Messenger the
double icon/square icon problem returns.
It's easy enough to work around by simply closing and reopening MSN Messenger once my
computer if fully up, but it would be nice if

Ask a Question