MSCONFIG Missing?

Chuck Davis

On a computer club member's computer:

Start> Run type msconfig and the response is that Windows cannot find
msconfig file...

How can I help him?

Just for your information.

Microsoft Windows 2000 itself does not include MSConfig at all.

Let us know which version of Windows he is using.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Chuck,

Does mentioning the full path help?

%windir%\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\msconfig.exe

"Chuck Davis" <newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com> wrote in message On a computer club member's computer:

Start> Run type msconfig and the response is that Windows cannot find
msconfig file...

How can I help him?

Wesley Vogel

The page cannot be displayed
Use the original url *NOT* a phony tinyurl. Or at least also include the
original url in your replies. Many people will not even click on a tinyurl.
;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In

Smoker

Wesley Vogel said:
The page cannot be displayed
Use the original url *NOT* a phony tinyurl. Or at least also include the
original url in your replies. Many people will not even click on a
tinyurl.
;-)

--
Sorry about that. The Tiny URL just now worked fine for me. I used it
because when a URL is long and wraps many people don't know to copy the

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=227185&messageID=2367994

---

Ken Blake, MVP

Smoker said:
Sorry about that. The Tiny URL just now worked fine for me. I used it
because when a URL is long and wraps many people don't know to copy
the entire thing to paste into their browser in case the length gets
broken.

Yes, we understand why tinyurls are used, and the problem is *not* is that
tinyurls don't work; the problem is that tinyurls can point to malicious web
sites, rather than those they purport to point to. Clicking on a tinyurl
that hasn't been sent to you by someone you know and trust is a dangerous
thing to do. I won't click on a tinyurl posted on a newsgroup by a stranger,
and I recommend that nobody else does either.

I often post tinyurls myself, but I always accompany them with the full url,
so anyone reading my message has the choice of which to click on.

Chuck Davis

I returned to the club members home this afternoon. I drilled down through
the folders and the msconfig file was there. I thought that it may have been
corrupted. I went to his other computer and copied it to my thumb drive. I
copied it to the location (old file was dated 2002, and the one being
installed was dated 2006). Full of anticipation, I went through Start> Run>
type msconfig and the message returned is still: "Window cannot find..."

I was able to double-click on the exe and remove several entries from the
Start Up menu. It was this desire that started this whole thing.

Chuck,

Does mentioning the full path help?

%windir%\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\msconfig.exe

"Chuck Davis" <newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com> wrote in message
On a computer club member's computer:

Start> Run type msconfig and the response is that Windows cannot find
msconfig file...

How can I help him?

Bruce Chambers

Chuck said:
I returned to the club members home this afternoon. I drilled down through
the folders and the msconfig file was there. I thought that it may have been
corrupted. I went to his other computer and copied it to my thumb drive. I
copied it to the location (old file was dated 2002, and the one being
installed was dated 2006). Full of anticipation, I went through Start> Run>
type msconfig and the message returned is still: "Window cannot find..."

I was able to double-click on the exe and remove several entries from the
Start Up menu. It was this desire that started this whole thing.

Something has happened to your workstation's Path variable, so
WinXP doesn't know where to find the executable. There are two fixes:

1) Correct the Path Statement. It should look something like this:

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program
Files

To edit the Path, right-click My Computer > Properties > Advanced >
Environmental Variables. In the System Variables windows, highlight
"Path" and click the <Edit> button.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Chuck,

Open a Command Prompt window and type the following command:

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\MSCONFIG.EXE" /ve /d "C:\Windows\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe" /t REG_SZ /f

Note that it's a single line command.