msconfig missing,

G

It was working ok yesterday and shut down as usual. Now when I on the pc, and
try to go to msconfig, normally the System Configuration Utility dialogue
will appear but now it appears for a split second and gone.

I also cannot see any icon on the system tray except 'volume'.

When I press Alt/Control/Delete, the task manager appear for a second and
gone and nothing seen on the botton right corner.

Also now, when I trry to launch the NAV, it just would not launch.

On start/run/ "services.msc' and on the Services(Local) under Automatic
Updates, the startup type-its always 'disabled' upon boot up, even after I
turn ot to 'automatic and the status as 'started'

((fyi, The pc was virus infected and I got it scan with NAV when it was
attached as a secondary slave to another working pc. The virus as
instructed to delete by NAV))

can anyone assist, thanhks

D

Doug Knox MS-MVP

You're still infected. This behavior is symptomatic of a viral infection. They watch for the processes/programs that can be used to remove them, then kill them when they're found running.

For additional help see www.dougknox.com, Win XP Utilities, Create Emergency Copies of Critical XP System Utilities. This small VB Program will create backup, usable copies of Task Manger, Regedit and MSConfig (named Copy_of_Taskmgr.exe, Copy_of_Regedit.com and Copy_of_MSConfig.exe) in a new folder C:\EmergencyUtil. Many virus programs will intercept these programs, based on their original file name. The modified file names, allow them to be run. Open Windows Explorer to C:\EmergencyUtil and double click the application you need. The next revision will allow you to browse for the folder you want to place the backups in.

It may be necessary to rename even the copies to something that does not have TASKMGR, MSCONFIG or REGEDIT in the name.

Additionally, see the Win XP Utilities section for Startup Programs Tracker. This small utility scans your system for startup programs and running processes. It also allows you to create a log file that can be copied and pasted into a newsgroup post. The contents of the program window are also copied to the Windows Clipboard, automatically. For replies to newsgroup posts, do NOT include the Running Services, unless its absolutely necessary.

Ask a Question