MS System Backup = BIG JOKE

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000' started by Raymond, Jun 6, 2004.

  1. Raymond

    Raymond Guest

    My recent experience in attempting to restore
    a system hard-drive using a system backup made with
    Win2k's backup software has been something of a nightmare.

    Mind you I'm a programmer, so I finally figured out
    workarounds, after 10 hours and several unsuccessful
    attempts trying to restore system state from MS backup.
    Though I still have one small problem with the dual
    booting.

    MS Backup may be fine for simple folders and files, but
    if you are relying on MS Backup to restore system
    state then I strongly advise you not to!!!

    Here is a short summary of my experience:

    I have a dual boot system with win98 & win2k,
    several partitions (FAT,FAT32, NTFS) on 3
    hard-drives. I had a hard-drive crash on the
    drive containing the system and win2k boot partitions.

    1) Created the same partition/file system structure on the
    new drive, and reinstalled win2k in a different folder.

    2) Tried many times, using various suggestions
    and tips, to restore the system state and
    couldn't. Each time I would solve one problem,
    I would bang into anther one.

    3) Thankfully I had made separate backups
    of the win2k registry files (using copy/paste from
    <windir>\repair\regback). That's what saved me!
    I went into the recovery console and copied the files to
    <windir>\system32\config. That fixed win2k, but
    the win98 still would not work. It was getting stuck
    trying to find the OS boot files. I guess because the boot
    sector had changed.

    4) In trying to fix win98:

    i)Booted with win98 floppy, and ran SYS C:

    ii) That fixed win98, but now win2k would
    not boot, again because the boot sector had
    changed.

    iii) Back into the win2k recovery console
    and ran FIXBOOT C:

    5) Now my Win2k works but again my
    Win98 does not.

    So my problem now is how to fix this
    booting to work in dual mode. Given
    the above I can make it work with
    Win98 or Win2k, but not both. If
    I fix it with FIXBOOT, once the Boot.ini
    loads, and I choose the Win98 option,
    then I get an "Invalid System Disk" error.

    Here's my Boot.ini

    [boot loader]
    timeout=4
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNTBAK
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNTBAK="Microsoft Windows 2000
    Professional" /fastdetect
    c:\="Win98"

    The Bootsect.DOS is there too on C:\, as well as IO.SYS

    thanks in advance

    Raymond, Jun 6, 2004

  2. Raymond

    I'm Dan Guest

    "Raymond" <> wrote:
    > My recent experience in attempting to restore a
    > system hard-drive using a system backup made with
    > Win2k's backup software has been something of a nightmare.
    >
    > Mind you I'm a programmer, so I finally figured out
    > workarounds, after 10 hours and several unsuccessful
    > attempts trying to restore system state from MS backup.
    >
    > MS Backup may be fine for simple folders and files, but
    > if you are relying on MS Backup to restore system
    > state then I strongly advise you not to!!!

    You musta been programming mainframes, 'cause everyone knows MS backup has
    been useless for backing up systems since at least Win95! That's what
    guaranteed the success of DriveImage way back then, and all the subsequent
    DriveImage followers since.

    > I have a dual boot system with win98 & win2k,
    > several partitions (FAT,FAT32, NTFS) on 3
    > hard-drives. I had a hard-drive crash on the drive
    > containing the system and win2k boot partitions.
    >
    > ...(snipped)...
    >
    > 4) In trying to fix win98:
    >
    > i)Booted with win98 floppy, and ran SYS C:
    >
    > ii) That fixed win98, but now win2k would
    > not boot, again because the boot sector had
    > changed.
    >
    > iii) Back into the win2k recovery console
    > and ran FIXBOOT C:
    >
    > 5) Now my Win2k works but again my
    > Win98 does not.
    >
    > So my problem now is how to fix this
    > booting to work in dual mode. Given
    > the above I can make it work with
    > Win98 or Win2k, but not both. If
    > I fix it with FIXBOOT, once the Boot.ini
    > loads, and I choose the Win98 option,
    > then I get an "Invalid System Disk" error.
    > ...(snipped)...
    > The Bootsect.DOS is there too on C:\, as
    > well as IO.SYS

    You're on the right track in focusing on the boot sector, but the secret is
    in understanding how Microsoft's lame dualboot scheme operates. When 2K was
    installed over the existing 98 system, the 98 boot sector was saved in a
    file (bootsect.dos) and then replaced by a 2K boot sector. Thus, you're
    supposed to have a 2K boot sector and a bootsect.dos with the saved contents
    of the 98 boot sector. When you choose 98 from your boot menu, ntldr
    resurrects the 98 boot sector from the bootsect.dos file, steps out of the
    way, and lets 98 boot up just as though it had started from a 98 boot sector
    in the first place.

    You've rebuilt your system on a new HDD and your step 4iii makes sure you've
    got a new, validated 2K boot sector, but you've done nothing to fix your 98
    boot sector. Remember, your step 4i does not fix the 98 boot sector because
    it's tucked away, dormant, in bootsect.dos. IOW, you're 98 boot option is
    resurrecting a boot sector image that no longer matches the new partition
    parameters. You need to regenerate a new bootsect.dos based on your new
    HDD. Basically, you need to redo step 4i to get a valid 98 boot sector, use
    it to generate a new bootsect.dos, then do 4iii again to put the 2K boot
    sector back. You'll find details at http://thpc.info/dual/bootsectdos.html.

    FWIW, you would have avoided these problems if Win2K had been installed in a
    true dualboot in the first place instead of Microsoft's pseudo-dualboot that
    tangles up the OS's. At this stage, that would require you to reinstall
    your 2K, so no sense belaboring the point because things are (nearly)
    working again. But if you ever decide to reinstall or rebuild anew, see my
    www.goodells.net/multiboot for more about a proper dualboot using a
    third-party boot manager.

    I'm Dan, Jun 6, 2004

  3. Raymond

    Raymond Guest

    Much thanks, that worked!

    I did it a bit differently though:

    1) Booted 98 from floppy, renamed Bootsect.dos,
    ran Sys C: ;
    2) Rebooted 98 from floppy, ran Debug commands
    to create new Bootsect.dos ;
    3) Rebooted into Win2k recovery console and
    ran Fixboot C: ;

    Now dual-booting is restored!

    I still can't believe Microsoft has pulled such
    a stunt with their worthless System State backup.
    This is actually the first time I've had to use it to
    restore a system. Oh well, now I know that the
    separate registry file backups I've been making
    are absolutely critical, and thanks for the nifty
    info for recovering dual-booting.

    Raymond, Jun 6, 2004
  4. On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 04:18:21 GMT, "Raymond" <> wrote:

    >My recent experience in attempting to restore
    >a system hard-drive using a system backup made with
    >Win2k's backup software has been something of a nightmare.
    >
    >Mind you I'm a programmer, so I finally figured out
    >workarounds, after 10 hours and several unsuccessful
    >attempts trying to restore system state from MS backup.
    >Though I still have one small problem with the dual
    >booting.
    >
    >MS Backup may be fine for simple folders and files, but
    >if you are relying on MS Backup to restore system
    >state then I strongly advise you not to!!!
    >
    >Here is a short summary of my experience:
    >
    >I have a dual boot system with win98 & win2k,
    >several partitions (FAT,FAT32, NTFS) on 3
    >hard-drives. I had a hard-drive crash on the
    >drive containing the system and win2k boot partitions.
    >
    >1) Created the same partition/file system structure on the
    >new drive, and reinstalled win2k in a different folder.
    >
    >2) Tried many times, using various suggestions
    >and tips, to restore the system state and
    >couldn't. Each time I would solve one problem,
    >I would bang into anther one.
    >
    >3) Thankfully I had made separate backups
    >of the win2k registry files (using copy/paste from
    ><windir>\repair\regback). That's what saved me!
    >I went into the recovery console and copied the files to
    ><windir>\system32\config. That fixed win2k, but
    >the win98 still would not work. It was getting stuck
    >trying to find the OS boot files. I guess because the boot
    >sector had changed.
    >
    >4) In trying to fix win98:
    >
    >i)Booted with win98 floppy, and ran SYS C:
    >
    >ii) That fixed win98, but now win2k would
    >not boot, again because the boot sector had
    >changed.
    >
    >iii) Back into the win2k recovery console
    >and ran FIXBOOT C:
    >
    >5) Now my Win2k works but again my
    >Win98 does not.
    >
    >So my problem now is how to fix this
    >booting to work in dual mode. Given
    >the above I can make it work with
    >Win98 or Win2k, but not both. If
    >I fix it with FIXBOOT, once the Boot.ini
    >loads, and I choose the Win98 option,
    >then I get an "Invalid System Disk" error.
    >

    >Here's my Boot.ini
    >
    >[boot loader]
    >timeout=4
    >default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNTBAK
    >[operating systems]
    >multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNTBAK="Microsoft Windows 2000
    >Professional" /fastdetect
    >c:\="Win98"
    >

    >The Bootsect.DOS is there too on C:\, as well as IO.SYS
    >

    >thanks in advance

    For the life of me I do not see what the reason is for the dual mode -
    if it were Linux, well maybe then I have been guilty, otherwise I
    think it potty to put it in the most polite mode.

    B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
    If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp

    nesredep egrob, Jun 6, 2004
  5. Raymond

    Raymond Guest

    "nesredep egrob" <Long. -31,48.21 Lat. 115,47.40> wrote in message > For the
    life of me I do not see what the reason is for the dual mode -
    > if it were Linux, well maybe then I have been guilty, otherwise I
    > think it potty to put it in the most polite mode.
    >
    > B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
    > If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp

    If the OSs are not too far apart, then I believe it's
    very useful. OTOH, if the OSs are very different,
    then there will most likely exist problems with the
    hardware/driver support, in which case I believe it's
    best to run them on separate systems and link
    them with a KVM switch. That's what I've done for DOS
    and Win95. Though 98SE was released just a year or so
    before 2k, so my hardware is generally very inter-compatible
    on that system.

    Anyway, I don't believe this problem was due to my
    dual boot setup. I couldn't even restore the Win2k
    system state without using the separate backups
    of the registry files.

    Raymond, Jun 6, 2004
  6. Raymond

    Mike Guest

    I'm a big fan of Partition Magic w/ it's very good boot manager.
    Very easy to setup and maintain multiple boot systems (up to four) on the
    same HDD.

    Mike

    Mike, Jun 6, 2004
  7. Raymond

    I'm Dan Guest

    "Raymond" <> wrote:
    > Much thanks, that worked!
    >
    > I did it a bit differently though:
    >
    > 1) Booted 98 from floppy, renamed Bootsect.dos,
    > ran Sys C: ;
    > 2) Rebooted 98 from floppy, ran Debug commands
    > to create new Bootsect.dos ;
    > 3) Rebooted into Win2k recovery console and
    > ran Fixboot C: ;
    >
    > Now dual-booting is restored!
    >
    > I still can't believe Microsoft has pulled such
    > a stunt with their worthless System State backup.
    > This is actually the first time I've had to use it to
    > restore a system. Oh well, now I know that the
    > separate registry file backups I've been making
    > are absolutely critical, and thanks for the nifty
    > info for recovering dual-booting.

    You're welcome.

    For system backups you should really take a look at the partition imaging
    solutions (BootIt-NG, Ghost, DriveImage, TrueImage, et al). BootIt-NG
    (www.bootitng.com) is the most versatile, the most bulletproof, and also
    happens to be the least expensive. It's interface is less intuitive than
    the others, but that's because it was designed by a programmer and the
    interface is laid out like a programmer thinks ... so you should have no
    trouble with it. <g>

    An side benefit of imaging is that it enables you to easily clone an OS
    partition. As a programmer, you might find it convenient to replicate your
    2K partition, with one as your stable OS, another to test new software
    (before it's committed to your stable OS), and perhaps a third 2K to use as
    a sandbox for program development. If you trash the second or third one, no
    problem, just delete and recreate from a backup base image and you're back
    up and running in 10 or 15 minutes, all without compromising your stable 2K.
    (Note: a prerequisite for this kind of setup is that your 2K must be
    reinstalled as a self-standing OS, not entangled with your 98 partition as
    it is now.)

    I even dualboot my kids' computers. They each have a 'trusted' bootup,
    firewalled and connected to network drives and printers on the home LAN. Or
    they can boot into a separate stripped-down 'untrusted' system where they
    can do their kazaa and music downloading, etc, with trusted partition hidden
    and no connections to home LAN other than internet access. We ocassionally
    wipe the untrusted partition and restore from a base image ... back to a
    clean, virus-free partition in about 10 minutes, and without touching the
    trusted system.

    I'm Dan, Jun 6, 2004
  8. Raymond

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 12:39:23 GMT, "Raymond" <> wrote:

    >Anyway, I don't believe this problem was due to my
    >dual boot setup. I couldn't even restore the Win2k
    >system state without using the separate backups
    >of the registry files.

    Then you did something wrong. It almost always goes without a hitch.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jun 7, 2004
  9. Raymond

    Raymond Guest

    Yup, I've actually used imaging before to do just
    that, swapping OS images for various testing, just
    didn't get around to doing it with my main system.

    I've used Ghost before too, and liked it. I did some
    research and I think I'll go for Ghost 2002, heard
    some bad things about the 2003 version. 2002
    should be even cheaper than Terabytes'.

    Raymond, Jun 7, 2004
  10. Raymond

    Raymond Guest

    Not really. I had done a normal
    backup of the full system, including
    system state, with default settings,
    can't get more plain vanilla than that.

    I tried various combinations of
    system state restore, after a number
    of different reformat/reinstalls. They all
    failed for one reason or another.
    I tried original location to same drive structure,
    alternate location to a different structure, restoring
    after updating all service paks and security updates,
    from active directory restore boot.....
    Nothing worked, until I manually
    copied over the registry files, after
    the last system state restore failure.
    Each time after finishing the system
    state restore, the OS would ask to
    reboot to finish, and each time I would
    come across a different major problem.
    On my final try, I booted in active directory
    restore mode, updated all service packs,
    and security and software updates, before
    restoring, then I rebooted and got an error that
    the System registry file could not be found.
    That's when I went to the recovery console
    and manually copied my saved registry to
    system32\config, which finally restored
    win2k.

    Raymond, Jun 7, 2004
  11. Raymond

    Enkidu Guest

    I don't know why this is under XP Home, but still:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...g/productdoc/en/ntbackup_restore_sysstate.asp

    Since it was a Domain Controller you should have started the machine
    in Active Directory Restore Mode first. Also, if you restored the SS
    to an alternative location, it would not have restored the registry
    amongst other things.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    {MVP Directory Services}

    Enkidu, Jun 7, 2004
  12. Raymond

    Raymond Guest

    Nothing new there; been there, done that.

    Raymond, Jun 7, 2004