doing anything. The no of CPU time used by ms access was reduced by 2/3 when
both lotus notes & IE explorer is opened and the time needed for processing
also slowed down by 2/3

Does it got to do with MS Access ?
what i can do is simply close ALL applications except ms access to run the
program
kindly advise
More info may help you get an answer.
How much memory in your PC, are you on a network, what is your processor speed, which OS, are you behind a good firewall, do you
have all your OS patches applied?

Lotus Notes is way more than just an email program so maybe it is processing something. You may want to check your settings for how
often it checks your mail - maybe it is trying to do so every 5 seconds or such, try a longer time like every 15 minutes. Also,
check your connection settings for Lotus - you may have extra unneccesary protocols active - typically you will only need TCP. Take
a look at any replication or automated processes that may be set up. Unless you have lotus doing something special outside of
handling mail it really should not use much CPU while it idles.

IE really should not use much CPU unless it is processing something like loading a web page. If you have your IE on the net don't
leave it idling on an untrusted web site - just to be safe.

You should take a look at all your running processes if you can using Task Manager and click on the column that shows the % of the
CPU being used by each process to sort it so the heavy users are at the top. The take a look at the names of the heavy users and
use find to search for unrecognized program names. Keep in mind that XP/2000 is a very server oriented OS and may have processes
running that are used for network connections. Do not be tempted to just kill any running process -because it may be needed by the
OS. It is better to control which processes you want to run by going to Services Administration found in the Control Panel or part
of your PC admin tools. Do not be tempted to change running processes unless you really know if they are needed. It is wise to
write down the names of the ones you may want to set to Manual or Disabled, then search for info about them on the net or on the MS
site. Then you will know if they can be shut off or not.

I can tell you that I have used Lotus Notes and Access and IE and Excel and a variety of other programs at the same time and not had
any problems with lack of CPU even while running intensive VBA code in Access or Excel.

Cheers, matt

Ask a Question