MS Access 2003

Mikael M. Hansen

Hi

I have a problem with subj. I cannot create a report. If I
open an existing mdb file that works perfectly in Access
2000 I cannot run reports. It just stats that the
OpenReport command was cancelled. To test it further I have
tried to start Access 2003 and create a table with simple
data. I choose the create a report, using the wizard,
displaying the contents of the table. But after the final
step it just states "The wizard is unable to create your
report".

I have tried to open the Northwind sample database, but
none of the report from that can be show either.

It appears to be something more general that is wrong. I
have thied both with and without the KB832483 update
installed. I have also tried to install the Office 2003
service pack. I run it on a XP box, completely updated
according to Windows Update. But none of the above has had
any effect on the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best regards
Mikael

prabha

Hi Mikael,

Check your printer driver. For testing purposes add a new printer and
choose "Generic Text/Only" and set it as the default printer.

Should it work with the default printer set to "Generic Text/Only" then
it's a matter with your printer driver. Either you need to delete the
existing one (possibly corrupted driver) and reinstall it OR you need an
updated driver from your printer manufacturer.

I hope this helps! If you have additional questions on this topic, please
respond back to this posting.

Regards,

Eric Butts
Microsoft Access Support

"Microsoft Security Announcement: Have you installed the patch for
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026? If not Microsoft strongly advises
you to review the information at the following link regarding Microsoft
Security Bulletin MS03-026
<http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp> and/or
to visit Windows Update at <http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/> to install
the patch. Running the SCAN program from the Windows Update site will help
to insure you are current with all security patches, not just MS03-026."

| From: "Mikael M. Hansen" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Mikael M. Hansen" <[email protected]>
| Subject: MS Access 2003
| Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 02:20:53 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access.reports
|
| Hi
|
| I have a problem with subj. I cannot create a report. If I
| open an existing mdb file that works perfectly in Access
| 2000 I cannot run reports. It just stats that the
| OpenReport command was cancelled. To test it further I have
| tried to start Access 2003 and create a table with simple
| data. I choose the create a report, using the wizard,
| displaying the contents of the table. But after the final
| step it just states "The wizard is unable to create your
| report".
|
| I have tried to open the Northwind sample database, but
| none of the report from that can be show either.
|
| It appears to be something more general that is wrong. I
| have thied both with and without the KB832483 update
| installed. I have also tried to install the Office 2003
| service pack. I run it on a XP box, completely updated
| according to Windows Update. But none of the above has had
| any effect on the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?
|
| Any help is greatly appreciated.
|
| Best regards
| Mikael

Mikael M. Hansen

Hi

It works. But is it is strange. I have 7 different network
printers installed and could print to them prior to this test.

I installed a Generic Text/Only printer, set it as the
default. Created a report in Access 2003, it worked.

Then I uninstalled the printer and removed the driver
(printers and faxes-> RightClick-> ServerProperties->
Drivers-> Generic Text/Only and clicked remove).

Then I restarted the XP box. After the restart I set the
default printer to the same printer as prior to this little
experiment. And Access still worked.

The only explanation for this is that installing the
Generic Text/Only driver makes a change, somewhere, that
relates to Access. Do You know where and what?

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

[...]

prabha

Hi Mikael,

What you are encountering is probably your printer driver itself is shaky
(e.g., damaged). Access just had a problem communicating with it.
Restarting your computer may have fixed the driver. What I would recommend
is that you uninstall the driver and then reinstall (which replaces the
driver with a new one).

Eric

| From: "Mikael M. Hansen" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Mikael M. Hansen" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: MS Access 2003
| Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 03:04:15 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access.reports
|
| Hi
|
| It works. But is it is strange. I have 7 different network
| printers installed and could print to them prior to this test.
|
| I installed a Generic Text/Only printer, set it as the
| default. Created a report in Access 2003, it worked.
|
| Then I uninstalled the printer and removed the driver
| (printers and faxes-> RightClick-> ServerProperties->
| Drivers-> Generic Text/Only and clicked remove).
|
| Then I restarted the XP box. After the restart I set the
| default printer to the same printer as prior to this little
| experiment. And Access still worked.
|
| The only explanation for this is that installing the
| Generic Text/Only driver makes a change, somewhere, that
| relates to Access. Do You know where and what?
|
| Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

| >|
| >| Hi
| >|
| >| I have a problem with subj. I cannot create a report. If I
| >| open an existing mdb file that works perfectly in Access
| >| 2000 I cannot run reports. It just stats that the
| >| OpenReport command was cancelled. To test it further I have
| >| tried to start Access 2003 and create a table with simple
| >| data. I choose the create a report, using the wizard,
| >| displaying the contents of the table. But after the final
| >| step it just states "The wizard is unable to create your
| >| report".
| >|
| >| I have tried to open the Northwind sample database, but
| >| none of the report from that can be show either.
| >|
| >| It appears to be something more general that is wrong. I
| >| have thied both with and without the KB832483 update
| >| installed. I have also tried to install the Office 2003
| >| service pack. I run it on a XP box, completely updated
| >| according to Windows Update. But none of the above has had
| >| any effect on the problem. Does anyone have any
| suggestions?
| >|
| >| Any help is greatly appreciated.
| >|