Moving Printer Shares to New Server

Scott Townsend

We have a new Server that we want to move all of the Printer shares to. I
have a Few Questions...

Both Servers are Win2003 R2, Same Network/AD Domain

1) What is the best way to Move the Printers, Drivers, Shares, etc from one
server to another.
2) Is there a way I can have these printers installed on Everyone's machine
when they log in?
3) Is there a way I can remove the reverences to the other installed
printers that are from the old server on each of the workstations when the
user logs in?

Thank you,
Scott<=

Bill Stewart

Scott said:
We have a new Server that we want to move all of the Printer shares to. I
have a Few Questions...

Both Servers are Win2003 R2, Same Network/AD Domain

1) What is the best way to Move the Printers, Drivers, Shares, etc from one
server to another.
2) Is there a way I can have these printers installed on Everyone's machine
when they log in?
3) Is there a way I can remove the reverences to the other installed
printers that are from the old server on each of the workstations when the
user logs in?

1) Microsoft provides Print Migrator 3.1. URL:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9B9F2925-CBC9-44DA-B2C9-FFDBC46B0B17

2) I recommend using per-machine printers. I wrote a recent article that
consists of a script component and a command-line script to manage them
for you. URL: http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/49741/

3) You could write a script that enumerates the current user's printers,
looks for the old server's path in the UNC name, and deletes each old
printer. The per-machine printer solution solves the rest of this, since
per-machine printers show up for everyone that logs onto the machine.

Scott Townsend

1) Sweet, I should have asked this Ages ago!!! Already Moved!!!

2) Have yet to read your article, but I agree Per Machine.

3) I guess I could write a Script. Though I'd have to know the Syntax of the
Scripting lingo. (-; I'm good at VB, VB.Net, C, C#, HTML, ASP, and others,
though have not veen fully versed on my command scripting and the associated
objects. )-;

Thanks again!

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi All,

Seems the problem was resolved. Right? Glad to see the knowledge sharing
here.

Scotter, If you still have concerns, in this issue, please feel free to
post back.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.