Movie Maker wont start

Geoff

Hello all:

When I open Movie Maker I get a message that
says, "Windows Movie Maker has encountered a problem and
needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." The
program appears behind the message but as soon as I send
(or dont send) the report the program closes. I also cant
find any way to remove it from my system.

Any help out there??

Kristen Miller [MS]

Hi Geoff --

Can you post the Watson bucket number for your report?

To get the Watson bucket number:
1. Use Movie Maker to generate the crash. When you are prompted to send
the data to MS, do so!
2. Immediately after sending the data, go to "Control Panel" |
"Administrative tools" | "Event viewer". This will launch the event viewer
for your system.
3. In Event viewer, choose "Application" node of the tree.
4. Sort the data by "Date", and scroll to the most recent entries.
5. Look for entries whose "Type" is "Error" and have red "X" icons.
Double click on them to "open" them.
6. One of the last (most recent) red entries should have a "bucket
number" in the description field.

useful in the mini-dump to help figure out the problem you're experiencing.

Cheers!
-Kristen Miller [MS]

Geoffrey Ely

Hello Kristen:

This is the information I got after following your
instructions regarding the "Watson Bucket" number.

Fault bucket 127353417.

I hope you can decipher this.

Thanks very much for your help.

Geoff said:
Hello all:

When I open Movie Maker I get a message that
says, "Windows Movie Maker has encountered a problem and
needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." The
program appears behind the message but as soon as I send
(or dont send) the report the program closes. I also cant
find any way to remove it from my system.

Any help out there??

.

Kristen Miller [MS]

Hi Geoffrey --

Thanks for posting the bucket number -- I was able to find the bucket
information.

Well, MOST of the hits on this issue looks like a case of 3rd party dshow
issues. From the callstack, it looks like the problem resides in qedit.dll;
something is dying when dshow goes to enumerate the transitions/effects
installed on your PC. Dshow transitions and effects can be
installed/redistributed just like codecs; For example, MM ships a variety of
trans/effects, and has at least two "add-on" packs that add trans/effects to
your PC. Other software manufacturers also release Dshow trans/effects in
their video editing software. While a given software program may not expose
them (MM doesn't show any trans/effects that aren't explicitly authored for
MM), Dshow will still try to enumerate all the existing ones :(

Perhaps removing some effects and transitions would help? Nearly all the
reports of this issue have one of the following installed; Uninstalling
some/all might resolve the problem, or at least provide a temporary
workaround:

1. WinDVD Creator 2 Trial Download (This installs ivitrans.dll and
chinaeffects.dll)
2. Filters redist pack (This installs Internet explorer filters
(DXTMSFT.dll) and MetaCreation filters (DXMeta2.dll).
3. FXLibrary (This installs FXLibrary.dll)
4. Any MM2.0 Add-on pack (Either the "Winter fun Pack" or "SpiceFX"
varieties.)
5. Plus! Digital Media Edition 1.1 (Plus!_TransFX.dll)
6. sfpagepeel.dll (I'm not able to find any info on this dll, so it may be a
red-herring)

Or, you could try just searching for the Dlls mentioned above and renaming
them one at a time to see if it resolves the problem.

Post back if you don't have ANY of these installed, and we'll try to figure
out what you've got installed that's hitting this error. I do see a few hits
that have other "suspicious" files loaded, so let me know if none of the
above apply.

Wish I had better news....
-Kristen Miller [MS]

Geoff said:
Hello all:

When I open Movie Maker I get a message that
says, "Windows Movie Maker has encountered a problem and
needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." The
program appears behind the message but as soon as I send
(or dont send) the report the program closes. I also cant
find any way to remove it from my system.

Any help out there??

.

Geoffrey Ely

Kristen:

thank you for your help!

I renamed all of the dll files you suggested and then
rebooted the machine and Movie Maker worked just fine.
Most of the files seemed to come from a program called
WinProducer, which I installed some months ago.
Paradoxically, when I renamed them back to their original
names and opened WinProducer for a few minutes Movie
Maker continued to work properly.

I dont get it but it works nonetheless.

If you have any thoughts about that I would be curious.
Otherwise, thanks very much.

Geoff

Geoffrey Ely said:
[...]

see
if there's anything
useful in the mini-dump to help figure out the problem you're experiencing.

Cheers!
-Kristen Miller [MS]
and
confers no rights.
Hello all:

When I open Movie Maker I get a message that
says, "Windows Movie Maker has encountered a problem and
needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." The
program appears behind the message but as soon as I send
(or dont send) the report the program closes. I also cant
find any way to remove it from my system.

Any help out there??

.

.

Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Movie Maker crashes upon starting

I am having the same problem that is described earlier in this thread. I have tried renaming the dll files listed, but the problem still persists. I am getting the same Watson Bucket number Fault bucket 127353417.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Randy

Joined
Feb 12, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Kristen Miller [MS] said:
[...]

"Geoff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello all:
>
> When I open Movie Maker I get a message that
> says, "Windows Movie Maker has encountered a problem and
> needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." The
> program appears behind the message but as soon as I send
> (or dont send) the report the program closes. I also cant
> find any way to remove it from my system.
>
> Any help out there??
umm can you please help me i've got a diff. bucket number 2 to be exact and i've been trying for weeks to fix my WMM and it's really starting to annoy me >_< all i wanna do is make a vid :'( but if you could help me out i would be really happy ^-^ my bucket number is Fault bucket 10544845. and Fault bucket 32112779 it would be very appricated if you would help(you don't have to) but all the other ppl's addvice gets me no where >_< i also downloaded a codex pack and it worked for a day now video's play but the error message comes up all the time now...please help!

Joined
Aug 6, 2008
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Buket Number 874675652

I am also having the problem, but my Fault Bucket number is: 874675652. It is strange, and i dont know what to do with it..... PLZ HELP!!!
wallbash.gif

Joined
Aug 6, 2008
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Geoffrey Ely said:
Kristen:

thank you for your help!

I renamed all of the dll files you suggested and then
rebooted the machine and Movie Maker worked just fine.
Most of the files seemed to come from a program called
WinProducer, which I installed some months ago.
Paradoxically, when I renamed them back to their original
names and opened WinProducer for a few minutes Movie
Maker continued to work properly.

I dont get it but it works nonetheless.

If you have any thoughts about that I would be curious.
Otherwise, thanks very much.

Geoff

confers no rights.

>"Geoffrey Ely" wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Hello Kristen:
>>
>> This is the information I got after following your
>> instructions regarding the "Watson Bucket" number.
>>

>> Fault bucket 127353417.

>> I hope you can decipher this.
>>
>> Thanks very much for your help.
>>
>> Geoff

and
>> confers no rights.
>>>

>>>"Geoff" wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>> and

>> The

>> send

>> cant

>>>.
>>>

>.

I am also having the problem, but my Fault Bucket number is: 874675652. It is strange, and i dont know what to do with it..... PLZ HELP!!!:wall:

Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I came across your post and was wondering if anyone can help me with my issue.

When I try to import video into Movie Maker...I get to 72% and it sends this error I ent the report and got

"Faulting application moviemk.exe, version 2.1.4026.0, faulting module msvidc32.dll, version 5.1.2600.0, fault address 0x00002f98."

Any ideas would be appreciated

Wulvyn