Move shares from 2000 server to server 2003 while retaining permissions

Matt

Hello,

I have an old File/Print server runing Server 2000 and it is going to be
replaced by a new machine running Server 2003.

On the old server I have some rather large shares with tens of thousands of
files in them. Some of these folders and files have various access
permissions.

I need to know how I can move these shares from the old machine to the new
machine while retaining all existing permissions.

I cant just copy/move them as they would inherit the permissions of the
destination folder. That is NOT acceptable. It would be horrendous to have
to manually go through each file/folder and recreate the permissions.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks and please respond to the group.

Matt

patrick

Do a backup and then restore.... you can use the NTbackup.
when you use backup software to backup, it will retain all
permissions

cheeers

Jack Wang [MSFT]

Hi Matt,

Thank you for posting!

You may also use robocopy to copy the folders with the ACLs.

ROBOCOPY source destination /COPY:DATS

For more information about the command, please refer to the following:

Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
(C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\jackwa>robocopy /?

---
ROBOCOPY :: Robust File Copy for Windows :: Version XP010
---

Started : Fri Apr 30 21:12:58 2004

Usage :: ROBOCOPY source destination [file [file]...]
[options]

source :: Source Directory (drive:\path or
\\server\share\path).
destination :: Destination Dir (drive:\path or
\\server\share\path).
file :: File(s) to copy (names/wildcards: default is "*.*").

::
:: Copy options :
::
/S :: copy Subdirectories, but not empty ones.
/E :: copy subdirectories, including Empty ones.
/LEV:n :: only copy the top n LEVels of the source directory
tree.

/Z :: copy files in restartable mode.
/B :: copy files in Backup mode.
/ZB :: use restartable mode; if access denied use Backup
mode.

/COPY:copyflag :: what to COPY (default is /COPY:DAT).
(copyflags : D=Data, A=Attributes, T=Timestamps).
(S=Security=NTFS ACLs, O=Owner info, U=aUditing
info).

/SEC :: copy files with SECurity (equivalent to /COPY:DATS).
/COPYALL :: COPY ALL file info (equivalent to /COPY:DATSOU).
/NOCOPY :: COPY NO file info (useful with /PURGE).

/PURGE :: delete dest files/dirs that no longer exist in
source.
/MIR :: MIRror a directory tree (equivalent to /E plus
/PURGE).

/MOV :: MOVe files (delete from source after copying).
/MOVE :: MOVE files AND dirs (delete from source after
copying).

/A+:[RASHNT] :: add the given Attributes to copied files.
/A-:[RASHNT] :: remove the given Attributes from copied files.

/CREATE :: CREATE directory tree and zero-length files only.
/FAT :: create destination files using 8.3 FAT file names
only.
/FFT :: assume FAT File Times (2-second granularity).
/256 :: turn off very long path (> 256 characters) support.

/MON:n :: MONitor source; run again when more than n changes
seen.
/MOT:m :: MOnitor source; run again in m minutes Time, if
changed.

/RH:hhmm-hhmm :: Run Hours - times when new copies may be started.
/PF :: check run hours on a Per File (not per pass) basis.

/IPG:n :: Inter-Packet Gap (ms), to free bandwidth on slow
lines.

::
:: File Selection Options :
::
/A :: copy only files with the Archive attribute set.
/M :: copy only files with the Archive attribute and reset
it.
/IA:[RASHCNETO] :: Include only files with any of the given Attributes
set.
/XA:[RASHCNETO] :: eXclude files with any of the given Attributes set.

/XF file [file]... :: eXclude Files matching given names/paths/wildcards.
/XD dirs [dirs]... :: eXclude Directories matching given names/paths.

/XC :: eXclude Changed files.
/XN :: eXclude Newer files.
/XO :: eXclude Older files.
/XX :: eXclude eXtra files and directories.
/XL :: eXclude Lonely files and directories.
/IS :: Include Same files.
/IT :: Include Tweaked files.

/MAX:n :: MAXimum file size - exclude files bigger than n
bytes.
/MIN:n :: MINimum file size - exclude files smaller than n
bytes.

/MAXAGE:n :: MAXimum file AGE - exclude files older than n
days/date.
/MINAGE:n :: MINimum file AGE - exclude files newer than n
days/date.
/MAXLAD:n :: MAXimum Last Access Date - exclude files unused
since n.
/MINLAD:n :: MINimum Last Access Date - exclude files used since
n.
(If n < 1900 then n = n days, else n = YYYYMMDD
date).

/XJ :: eXclude Junction points. (normally included by
default).

::
:: Retry Options :
::
/R:n :: number of Retries on failed copies: default 1
million.
/W:n :: Wait time between retries: default is 30 seconds.

/REG :: Save /R:n and /W:n in the Registry as default
settings.

/TBD :: wait for sharenames To Be Defined (retry error 67).

::
:: Logging Options :
::
/L :: List only - don't copy, timestamp or delete any
files.
/X :: report all eXtra files, not just those selected.
/V :: produce Verbose output, showing skipped files.
/TS :: include source file Time Stamps in the output.
/FP :: include Full Pathname of files in the output.

/NS :: No Size - don't log file sizes.
/NC :: No Class - don't log file classes.
/NFL :: No File List - don't log file names.
/NDL :: No Directory List - don't log directory names.

/NP :: No Progress - don't display % copied.
/ETA :: show Estimated Time of Arrival of copied files.

/LOG:file :: output status to LOG file (overwrite existing log).
/LOG+:file :: output status to LOG file (append to existing log).

/TEE :: output to console window, as well as the log file.

/NJH :: No Job Header.
/NJS :: No Job Summary.

::
:: Job Options :
::
/JOB:jobname :: take parameters from the named JOB file.
/SAVE:jobname :: SAVE parameters to the named job file
/QUIT :: QUIT after processing command line (to view
parameters).

/NOSD :: NO Source Directory is specified.
/NODD :: NO Destination Directory is specified.
/IF :: Include the following Files.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Jack Wang, MCSE 2000, MCSA, MCDBA, MCSD