Mousekeys Issue

G

I,ve posted this post on another board and a couple months ago. Still due to the lack of responce i see there may not be a fix, but I am trying here to get any help I can. A friend of mine is disabled. He uses Mousekeys to do Most anything on the computer. In the last few months he bought a new PC with WIN XP. The mousekeys on XP do not let you "Click" right or left in Games. Some of the games are brand new just came out in the last 40 days some of them are older

We have rann all off the games on 6 different machines to try and figure out what the issue was. The Win 98 and Win ME both of them worked fine. All 4 of the Win XP machines did the same problem as his did.

Short of Installing a second hard drive with Win 98 on his new computer, we have tried everything from Macros, mouse Emulators, Etc.. We have also talked to MS coustomer service and recived the responce "The games must not be written for XP". So we contaced 3 of the game Mfgs and they gave the line "It must be an interface problem in Win XP. You should contact MS to resolve this issue"

I am just looking for ideas or any help if anyone can. I would really like to keep XP on his machine and not Need to buy A new hard drive and install 98

Thanks for an help
Jef

M

Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\)

Is he using the same mouse he used previously, if yes and it isn't working,
perhaps he should try a different mouse. If the mouse requires special
drivers as opposed to the default drivers in XP, you should visit the mouse
manufacturer's website for the latest drivers. You also might want to
contact the mouse manufacturer about this issue.

G

Well Its the accessibility options mousekeys on XP that is the problem weather we ust a logitec mouse, intelipoint mouse has made no difference, because its the virtual mouse driver for the accessibility options. we have even tried unpluging the mouse and putting the generic windows mouse drivers/ plus tried both the other mice in the machine while trying to use the mousekeys on the keyboard with the same issue. I have tried the items on 4 XP machines with different hardware configs all with the same result. But i9f we run ME or (* on any machine that I have dual boot on it works fine. Just like his old 98 machine does.

Thanks Jef

M

While the drivers supplied with Windows come from the device manufacturers,
they are generally rather basic and usually don't support more advanced
functions. Both mice that you mention usually have more robust and fully
functional drivers at their websites.

It's possible the basic drivers on XP don't support the necessary functions
or that those functions require more robust drivers than those supplied with
XP. I'm not generally fond of installing special software or drivers from
manufacturer's for keyboards and mice but in this case, it may be necessary
to enable the desired function.

You can't really compare it to 9x operating systems as they enable and
access hardware in a different manner from XP, hence, things that may have
worked with no special software drivers previously might require something
more robust in XP.

If that doesn't resolve it, I'd contact their tech support to see if they
can help get those features working for you.

G

Well thanks for trying to help me It seems that we are going in the same places I have tried before. Im still not sure how the mousedrivers or even keyboard drivers are the issue in mousekeys since the the "mousekeys" feature in windows works out of games correctly in XP. myself I have tried it on this machine im using now and it has a microsoft keyboard and intellimouse with all the up to date drivers from microsoft.l and still the same issue. It appears to me to be the way XP interacts with Games. I guess he will just have to buy another hard drive and install 98 on it.

M

It's possible the games are shutting down the mousekeys function in XP.
Games interact with the hardware differently as well and while those
features may have been available in previous versions of Windows while
playing games, as I mentioned the hardware is accessed differently in XP.
In any event, it's quite possible the games themselves are simply not
compatible with the feature in XP. It's also possible as more XP compatible
games are released that those might work with the feature.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

M

You're welcome.

Jeff, if you have not already done so, you might want to try this question
on the games board as they may have had some experience with this issue.

Go to the following link, scroll the list on the left to games, select it
and try your question there:
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp

Ask a Question