Mouse cursor

John

Hi experts,

I am using VS2005 and VB on a Wince 6.0 which has CF 2.0 included. I want to
use different cursors for different situations. Mainly I want to use a larger
cursor because my screen is very small. But my form does not have the cursor
control available. I can use a cursor object. But it only has a few methods
available such as show() and hide(), and it only gives me two cursors
(default and waitCursor). However, VB2005 help shows there are lots more I
can do with a cursor class and Wince is supported. What am I missing?

Many thanks in advance.

Lcubed

Been there, here's what I found out: Since there is no mouse (only the
stylus), the Pocket PC does not have a cursor in the standard sense,
so all it implements is a wait indicator which is of a fixed design
and position. I did not find a way to replace the standard wait
indicator.

We're using WM 5.0 and CF2.0, maybe there will be a better solution
with WM6.

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

If he's using WinCE 6, then there *might* be cursor, real cursor with a
mouse, support in his OS. John, you have a mouse and you move the mouse and
the cursor moves? If so, you should be able to create a cursor resource and
tell Windows CE to show that (SetCursor() in native code). As for the size
of the cursor, that's up to the display driver that you're using.
Generally, I'd guess that most of them support up to a 64x64 cursor,
although I've never used anything but the standard 32x32 that I can recall.

Paul T.

Been there, here's what I found out: Since there is no mouse (only the
stylus), the Pocket PC does not have a cursor in the standard sense,
so all it implements is a wait indicator which is of a fixed design
and position. I did not find a way to replace the standard wait
indicator.

We're using WM 5.0 and CF2.0, maybe there will be a better solution
with WM6.

John

Guys, thank you very much for offering help.

I do have a cursor. I move my mouse and cursor moves. But my screen is small
(5"). I'd like to have a larger mouse pointer for our customers to use. Paul,
you said you have used 64x64 cursor. How do you choose a cursor size? Is this
something has to be built into the OS? The OS I am using was built by me but
from a templet coming with the development board. I am not sure if I can
select the cursor (pointer) size while building the OS.

The best solution will be to use cursor class member DrawStretched(). Is it
supported in Wince 6.0?

John

Chris Tacke, MVP

I've not done it, but the APIs look like you could use LoadImage then
SetCursor to load a custom cursor at run time. That's where I'd start
anyway.

--

Chris Tacke, Embedded MVP
OpenNETCF Consulting

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

As Chris said. The screen is small but high resolution? You might be able
to alter the return size from GetSystemMetrics (SM_CXCURSOR) and
GetSystemMetrics (SM_CYCURSOR) in your build of the OS to control the
default cursor size. As mentioned, if you want some size bigger than 64x64,
you may have to do a lot of work to the display driver, etc.

Paul T.

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

I made an effort at this and it doesn't seem to work. The system is trying
very hard to create cursors only in the size that GetSystemMetrics returns,
32x32, and that's set internally by GWES with no means to change it that I
can see. So, you can create a cursor of a different size and, I would
suppose, draw it yourself, but probably not get the system to draw it for
you.

Paul T.

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" <p space tobey no spam AT no instrument no spam DOT