motherboard set up disc

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
lakinbrian said:
help i cannot start my motherboard do i need a startup disc
No, you need a Tech ... and we need a hell of lot more infomation on what your PC is etc.

:user:

oh, welcome to the forums. :wave:

Reaction score
my motherboard is a PM12TC and i am running windows xp my machine was working fine untill i changed the battery and now i only get the make of the computer which is i friend

muckshifter

Reaction score
That is a very old MB ... You changed the battery ? why ?

Changing the battery is the same as resetting the MB to a min default setting for the BIOS ... something I would never recommend doing unless the battery needs changing.

You did use the correct size battery, right side up, and pulled the power cable out before doing any work ?

muckshifter

Reaction score
lakinbrian said:
clock running slow advised to change battery correct battery in correct yes lead out
A PCs clock is the worst timekeeper in the world, even a blind man can keep better time.

OK, chastisement over ... however, what you have done is re-set the BIOS ... you need to go in there, the BIOS, and re-set it back up. Now, having said that, me and you are going to need to know what else is in your PC.

I don't have the manual to hand, do you ? can you give me more info on who made the PC, that MB was used by a few PC manufactures. If I can find the manual I can help more.

Reaction score
there is the problem i can't get into the bios all that happens is when i switch the machine on the screen has a picture of i friend i have taken it to a repairer and they dont know what to do to fix it

muckshifter

Reaction score
You know, I sometimes think I would be better off just banging my head against a brick wall, no really ... :rolleyes:

Your first question/post gave no indication of what PC you have, how the problem may have materialized, what you had done, if anything to fix it, yet you think we can help.

Sorry, I realize that your PC knowledge is somewhat lacking but I'm not sure if I can help further.

I am intrigued as to what an ... i friend ... is in reference to ?

muckshifter

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
It would appear to be a brand of computer Mr Mucks :) i Friend
... well I'll go to the top of our stairs, so it is. :thumb:

Well done Mr Flopps ... :D

Reaction score
i apprieate your help and youhave a wonderfull way with words I don't have a lot of exspierence with computers pc's and being 65 the brain is fading. the pc is called a( i Friend) 2.8 intel 4 cpu and its 4 years old i have been told that there appears to be nothing wrong other than it wont start up other than showing the i Friend logo. i took the advice of the repair man and changed the battery the correct one he sold me. it appears no one knows what to do sorry i seemed to agited you.

muckshifter

Reaction score
No, it is I who should be apologizing, but I'm afraid we see so many people that do not know how to post basic information we need to assist, I just get frustrated and am a bit flippant ... I know I am, hence the warning in my sig. ;)

Your "problem" is not unique, I know nothing about repairing a car, it goes to a relative who does, and then usually on to a garage. :D

If you can bear with me and answer some more questions, I'll try and not be so condescending. :thumb:

Do you hear any Beeps when you try to start the PC ?

Is there any other text on the monitor, usually along the bottom of the screen ?

When you turn on, and as the PC is starting, try pressing the Del key, not the one on the number pad, the other one ... keep "tapping" it ... sometimes it may be the F1 or F2 and even the F12 key ... this is how we enter the BIOS, if your PC is booting that far.

Your Tech guy should have tried all this too.

Reaction score
thank you I think a new motherboard is required will it come with instructions. I want to repair the computer for my own satisfaction and to give to my daughter

I have tried all your surgestions and it does pleep when i switch it on and no there is nothing on the screen but the logo

muckshifter

Reaction score
Yes, a new MB will come with a manual, it may be in the form of a digital manual on a CD, but there will be one. However, the PC you have is old by todays technology and while you should still be able to find a compatible MB, it may be less troublesome to actually buy a new PC ... yes, I know there is a big price difference.

Working on something that is considered broken is a lot less stressful than working on a working item. Just ask some of our members. :thumb:

OK, if the PC beeps then there is a chance it can be resurrected, a small one.

Is it just one single Beep ?

Did you try "tapping" any of the keys I mentioned, tap just after the beep ... any joy ?

Diagnosing PC hardware problems is simply a matter of swapping out the bad / faulty component & replacing with a known good alternative. Yes, a little hard for a home user to do.

Me, I would first open the case, remove any non-essential PCI cards, like modems, and also un-plug any cables to the hard drive & CDRom drive ... in essence, try and have the minimum required in the PC to just get it to boot up.

I have no idea what your "Tech" tried or suggested, unless you can tell me.

Reaction score
Thanks I have seem motherboard and cpu bundle from novatec it says it come complete and tested, but it seems that new pc's without monitors ect are about twise the price of this bundle so I will think on this and forgo the delights of of rebiulding the old one

Can I ask you an other question relating to the pc im am using now

sometimes when i switch it on it loads up evrthing as normal but the start menu does not come up on the screen so i have to press ctrl. alt and del to bring up the task manager and type in start menu in the run window to get the start menu on the screen can you help

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the mbr's corrupted.

It's possible the PC is ok.

To verify that, booting from a Live Linux CD would tell us a lot.

Or perhaps even loading (presumably) XP and formatting disk during installation.

Of course the latter option would mean losing any data stored on the current hard disk.

Reaction score
lakinbrian said:
sometimes when i switch it on it loads up evrthing as normal but the start menu does not come up on the screen so i have to press ctrl. alt and del to bring up the task manager and type in start menu in the run window to get the start menu on the screen can you help

there could be a program that is running on start up that is causing your pc to load up very slowly.

muckshifter

Reaction score
lakinbrian said:
Thyank you, but the start menu does not come on the screen would a programme cause this
A whole host of things can cause this ... from bad driver, corrupted windows file to bad hard drive.

This information would have been very helpful if you posted that in the first place.

Ask a Question