motherboard replacement

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Hardware' started by Annie Johnson, Jun 16, 2004.

  1. I have an ASUS P4S533-MX motherboard--built in video,
    audio and LAN. Back in late April I suddenly got no video
    on post. ASUS replaced the motherboard with another
    equivalent (same model) motherboard. The first time I
    booted with the new motherboard I got the following error:

    "The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and
    unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:."

    WinLogon then proceeded to run Chkdsk and Chkdsk found the
    following errors:

    Cleaning up 22 unused index entries from index $SII of
    file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 22 unused index entries from index $SDH of
    file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 22 unused security descriptors.

    Everytime I boot I get the "structure on the disk is
    corrupt and unusable" error, and after chkdsk runs it
    either finds no errors or a set of the index and security
    descriptor errors.

    In between it seems to run fine, including over a month
    without a reboot and with no disk errors. But then I do
    sometimes get other strange errors on boot, like every now
    and then a service won't start (like "The SAVScan service
    failed to start due to the following error: The system
    cannot find the file specified." which makes me nervous
    since this is the application that Norton Antivirus uses
    to watch files being opened for viruses) , but the next
    time it will start without an error.

    Anybody got any ideas as to what might be going on?

    Microsoft has a couple of references to errors like this
    in the knowledge base--one related to copying large
    amounts of data, and the other to an early Win2K version
    of Chkdsk, but these were supposedly fixed in SP1 and I
    have SP4. But according to KB article 255008 four files
    should be dated 1/25/2000, but mine are all dated
    12/7/1999. How can I be running service pack 4 but not
    have these files updated?

    I am have considered that maybe there is a hardware
    problem--timing would point to that, but can't figure how
    a hardware error would consistently give me errors with
    security descriptors.

    I'm not ready to spend bucks on Microsoft support for
    this, so I'm hoping that someone here can help me out and
    at least give me a clue.

    Thanks!

    Annie Johnson

    Annie Johnson, Jun 16, 2004

  2. Annie Johnson

    DL Guest

    After changing mobo you need to do a repair install of win2K
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824125
    You may also want to check yr hd manu site for a hd checking utility

    DL, Jun 16, 2004