motherboard help

Reaction score
I have just recently joined this forum so forgive my noobiness.

I was just wondering that if I bought an I7 processor motherboard would I be able to just swap it for my old one straight away.

If not could someone please tell me what specific needs I would have to have..

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Does it matter if Im just going to replace it with a new motherboard with an I7 processer

Sorry I miss read your first post. Yes you should be able to swap it out with your old one, using your old power supply and HDD and DvD player, you would need to re install your OS though.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Depends on how powerful your power supply/PSU is. It should be at least 500watt.

Reaction score
Cheers people...I was just going to buy a whole new pc..But this has saved me a bit of money.
Much appreciated:bow::thumb:
Once again Im new to this // What is OS...:blush:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi there OS stands for operating system e.g. Windows 7, XP or Vista. If you are changing your Motherboard for one that will accept a i7 dont forget you will also need new RAM as well as a new good 500 w PSU it will depend how old your existing PC is as well as some of the other items such as hard drive and optical drives may have the wrong conections. May be a good idea to give us a spec of your existing PC so that we can advise you better.

Reaction score
Oh one other thing Stonewall is your existing OS and I am assuming that it is a Microsoft Windows one is because you are changing your Motherboard it is unlikely that the existing OS will not work and you may need to contact Microsoft to give you a new licence key number which they may or may not do. Your other alternative would be to download a Linux OS probably Linux Mint would be the one for you, Otherwise you can purchase a OEM coppy of Windows 7 over the net from someone like Aria.co.uk or Novatech.co.uk and would sugest Windows 7 Home premium 64bit as you want to use a i7 cpu.

Ask a Question