Monitor keeps turning off.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Hello yall!

Been having a rather interesting problem as of late. My Acer HN247N has a seemingly random tendency of losing power.

I am unable to turn the monitor back on after this happens, requiring me to unplug the power supply from the monitor and replugging it back in after a few seconds.

As far as I can tell I have set the power setting to never turn off the monitor. Some times it will work just fine for days then all of a sudden ill have power loss every so often. Doesn't seem to matter what I do, playing games or just browsing the web.

Any advice would sure be appreciated!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi there Alf, good to see you :)

I hope you'll not be offended by this simplistic suggestion... but it has happened to me a few times. First time it died I couldn't figure out why, because connections, etc., all looked ok.

But instead of un-plugging the power supply, as I believe you did, I tried pressing it home more firmly (I mean the plug which is directly attached to the rear, underside of the monitor.) Hey presto - it worked! Turns out that this plug can work a little loose (on my monitor anyway...) even though it actually looks perfectly fine. (Mine is a new BenQ btw, only had it a few months.)

Hoping it's nothing more serious with your monitor, but might be worth pushing instead of pulling.... unless you already tried that, of course. :)

Best wishes for the New Year.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Hoping it's nothing more serious with your monitor, but might be worth pushing instead of pulling.... unless you already tried that, of course. :)

More time then you can shake a stick at. :)

But ill give it another go. It seems to turn off every 10-15 mins too. Made sure the (oh, just happened again) screen saver was turn off.

Monitor PSU perhaps? Maybe I need to spend less time on the computer. :fool:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Aww... :(

It would be good if you could try a different monitor, which you've probably also thought of. :nod:

You've turned off the screen-saver... but how about checking the Power Options? (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options) Do you also have those set to "never" turn off the monitor?

Just wondering if it could be graphics-card related, because looking around, I spotted this:
I also have this problem. GTX 470, latest drivers, this causes my display drivers to crash and my screen turn black.
HERE

Yeah... I'm looking at the simple stuff first,:blush: but I'm sure the "heavy guns" here at PCR will be around soon, to help you with the more techie stuff lol.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Just wondering if it could be graphics-card related, because looking around, I spotted this:
HERE

Yeah... I'm looking at the simple stuff first,:blush: but I'm sure the "heavy guns" here at PCR will be around soon, to help you with the more techie stuff lol.

Yea I checked the power options. :D

Now that you mention it, I think this did start happening after I updated my drivers. Gonna try a roll back and see if that helps. Thank taffy!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Just thinking from the top of my head and carefully considering all that has been posted on this thread.

Another option to try out is the power cord itself - change it.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Im now wondering if its not the PSU itself.

Perhaps its getting a bit too warm?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Since im pretty sure that its the adapter that the culprit in this...

I am going to try something a bit crazy... From what I hear you can get a misbehavin adapter to function "properly" by freezing it.

Yea. Freezing it.

Well, here goes nothing!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
We, as a 'tech', are used to freezing computer equipment, especially hard drives. The "fix" is, however only a temporary measure that allowed one, if lucky, to retrieve the data.

The freezing may indeed work, replacement is a better option. :)

:user:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Oddly enough It has worked so far. Of course a new day will tell.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Update: On second freezing it seems to have fixed what ever problem I had.

If I ever have another problem with a piece of electronics, ill just chuck it in the freezer! :thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Now I'm intrigued. It would be really interesting to know why that technique works.... so I'm going to go and grill Mr Google for some answers, lol.

Glad to hear your monitor is now working ok. Hope it continues to be trouble-free :nod:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I am not sure why it works, I'm sure you will find some technical mumbo jumbo out there.

But hey, It worked so I am not complaining. :D

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Well... hell..

Looks like it is the monitor itself that is causing issues.

Ended up buying a new power adapter last month so I didn't have to deal with it anymore. But it seems that the issue is back for some reason.

My guess is bad capacitors (aint it always), gonna see what I can do about that.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
You might as get a new monitor and be done with it. Since you say its capacitors may be bad so I reckon it is not something you bought recently but could be 5 years old.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Now that I think of it, it has been a while since I got it.

Heard that setting a potentially bad Acer monitor to 'Eco' and help fix some problem. As of now it seems to be working.

Its only a short term fix, but hopefully it lasts long enough for me to get the funds for a new monitor. :blush:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
The life cycle of a typical monitor is 5 years, after which it starts to degrade without the user knowing about it. The calibration to correct original specification cannot be obtained in most cases. Those who use monitors for critical work, an excellent example is photo editing know that the ageing process will render their monitors useless as the work they perform will be less than desirable in quality particularly colour rendition.

As far as using the monitor for every day general purpose use, it may not really matter but certainly the components do tend to age and failure is inevitable.

Being a photographer, I rely heavily on the quality of monitor to obtain precise results and that is why the reason for my post here.

Ask a Question