Modify IE Registry Settings

Reaction score
Hi Guy's

I needed to modify some registry settings for around 3000 PC's running Windows 2000 which are not on an active directory network. They are small networks dotted around the country, only access to them is via PCAnywhere, I have some software that can modify the registry remotely however This is the issue....

I have tested on 3 PC's only so far as I am reculctant to mass modify until I am sure that all of the correct DWords/Strings & Values have been modified.

I had to enable access to a Proxy Server back here at work on their Internet settings and also add some exceptions, I also needed to change their Home page.

I have managed to do this on the 3 PC's and it works their end fine, however I need to know if I have done it correctly and modified all of the correct keys, in the correct Hives

The keys I had to Modify were in HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-XXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXX-1001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

When I modified the Keys in HKEY_CURRENT_USER as expected the keys in HKEY_USERS were updated but only under the .Default account and not the S-1-5-21-XXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXX-1001 account.

So I have written directly to the HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-XXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXX-1001 Hive.

These are the Dwords/Strings Values I have modified/Added :-
(The <%USER_SID_1> is a variable for S-1-5-21-XXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXX-1001 )

HKEY_USERS\<%USER_SID_1>\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\AutoConfigProxy

HKEY_USERS\<%USER_SID_1>\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\EmailName\IEUser@

HKEY_USERS\<%USER_SID_1>\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\EnableAutodial\0

HKEY_USERS\<%USER_SID_1>\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\EnableHttp1_1\1

HKEY_USERS\<%USER_SID_1>\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\MimeExclusionListForCache\multipart/mixed multipart/x-mixed-replace multipart/x-byteranges

HKEY_USERS\<%USER_SID_1>\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\PrivacyAdvanced\0

HKEY_USERS\<%USER_SID_1>\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ProxyEnable\1

HKEY_USERS\<%USER_SID_1>\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ProxyOverride\XX.11.*;XX.11.*;XXX.XXX.22.2;<local>

HKEY_USERS\<%USER_SID_1>\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ProxyServer\XX.XX.X.XX:8080

Thnaks

Jason

Ask a Question