Modem 56K only get 14.4K connection?

Robert A. Matern

Here's a weird one... when dialing ISP-A, we get 14,4k only using a V.90
or V.92 modem... but we get 48k dialing other ISPs. A Win95 machine
using a V.90 modem plugged into the same phone line dials the same ISP-A and
gets 48k connection.

What is going on? All settings are the same
(username/password/encryption/etc.)... we cannot find a difference to
explain what's going on. Only XP has the problem; is there a setting
somewhere that's causing this?

Thanks for any info...

Chris Holden

Robert A. Matern said:
Here's a weird one... when dialing ISP-A, we get 14,4k only using a V.90
or V.92 modem... but we get 48k dialing other ISPs. A Win95 machine
using a V.90 modem plugged into the same phone line dials the same ISP-A and
gets 48k connection.

What is going on? All settings are the same
(username/password/encryption/etc.)... we cannot find a difference to
explain what's going on. Only XP has the problem; is there a setting
somewhere that's causing this?

Thanks for any info...
Assuming it is serial or a Winmodem, go to the control panel> sytem>
hardware> device manager> expand ports, choose the COM port the modem is on
and ensure that the baud rate is set to 57600 or 115200.
Chris

Chris Holden

Robert A. Matern said:
Here's a weird one... when dialing ISP-A, we get 14,4k only using a V.90
or V.92 modem... but we get 48k dialing other ISPs. A Win95 machine
using a V.90 modem plugged into the same phone line dials the same ISP-A and
gets 48k connection.

What is going on? All settings are the same
(username/password/encryption/etc.)... we cannot find a difference to
explain what's going on. Only XP has the problem; is there a setting
somewhere that's causing this?

Thanks for any info...
Inore my previous reply - I did not read your post properly.
Sorry,
Chris

Robert A. Matern

USELESS... that site is USELESS (not to mention outdated)

I've done everything they have there... no good. And no XP-specific
modem-speed help, which is what I need. ONLY XP has the problem... even
Win2K works with the SAME HARDWARE!

It's an XP issue... who can help?

At first we thought it was V.92 ... or HSP... but NOooo, it fails even
with a good old V.90 modem with default or manufacturer's drivers. Same
hardware works just fine in any other version of Windows, running on the
same machine. Even a clean install of XP on a blank disk didn't help at
all.

So what the hell is wrong with XP?

Robert A. Matern

Well, I guess this problem has no resolution... ditching XP

Works fine under Win2K. Go figure...

Robert A. Matern

STILL no answers? I guess nobody even cares about making it work anymore.

Those of us who have no choice but dialup really feel like orphans these
days...

Jim Macklin

Why not ask ISP-A, since they seem to have a problem and
their modem is defaulting back to 14.4...it probably isn't
your modem, it is theirs.

wrote in message
outdated)

| > > I've done everything they have there... no good.
And no XP-specific
| > > modem-speed help, which is what I need. ONLY XP has
the problem...
| even
| > > Win2K works with the SAME HARDWARE!
| > >
| > > It's an XP issue... who can help?
| > >
| > > At first we thought it was V.92 ... or HSP... but
NOooo, it fails
| even
| > > with a good old V.90 modem with default or
manufacturer's drivers. Same
| > > hardware works just fine in any other version of
Windows, running on the
| > > same machine. Even a clean install of XP on a blank
disk didn't help at
| > > all.
| > >
| > > So what the hell is wrong with XP?

| message
| > > V.90
ISPs. A Win95
| > machine
line dials the same
| > ISP-A

find a difference
problem; is there a
| setting

Steve C. Ray

Robert, I understand your frustration, but I don't think the problem is just
XP. I used dialup before I went broadband. I have three machines, one with
XP, one with 98SE, and one with ME (at that time). I didn't see any
difference in connection speeds between the three. I then upgraded the ME
machine to XP; no difference in speed. In all cases my maximum speed was
26.4, due to the fact that my phone lines are multiplexed. I had no other
connection option at that time, then a local ISP installed a wireless
broadband system which allowed me to get broadband.
I haven't seen all the posts, but have you tried System Mechanic? You can
download a 30 day trial version which has a connection optimizer, and you
might try, Dr. TCP from DSL reports.