Mobile Radeon 9000 - S-VHS -> Scart - TV only in graycolor!

Thomas Barth

Hi!
I ve connected my Mobile Radeon 9000 with its S-VHS-Output
to the Scart-Input of my TV. I simply get a graycolored
desktop screen on TV and there is no picture when playing
video-files, only a black area of the video frame!

My settings for TV are:
PAL - G (Germany)
800x600
60Hz
S-Video-Sharpness = Standard
color set to max

Any idea how to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

Vellu

Sure your TV capable of receicing S-Video signal? Because if not, s-video
signal will show in b&w due to missing chrominance.

PB

S-Video is physically wired using a special connector. If the TV has the
connector, it is 'wired' for S-Video and can accept it.

DD

Vellu

He is using SCART, you can connect S-Video through that even if the TV
doesn't have an actual S-Video input (the 4-pin DIN). If this is the case,
you usually have to select a proper AV-channel which supports S-Video (if
such exists). My TV-set has two Scart inputs AV1 and AV2. But it actually
has three AV channels; AV1, AV2 and AV2-S. The AV2-S needs to be selected
when I'm connecting S-Video through Scart. AV2 will only show B&W image
since it's not expecting an S-Video signal. Physically the Scart-input is
exactly the same.

Thomas Barth

Sure your TV capable of receicing S-Video signal? Because if not, s-video
signal will show in b&w due to missing chrominance.

Hi,
I 'll check this out. I suppose TV cant receive s-video signal :-|
but maybe my video-recorder that also has two scart-inputs.
Otherwise I have a brand new s-vhs-scart-Adapter to offer :)

Best regards,
Thomas

Chip

Thomas Barth said:
Hi,
I 'll check this out. I suppose TV cant receive s-video signal :-|
but maybe my video-recorder that also has two scart-inputs.
Otherwise I have a brand new s-vhs-scart-Adapter to offer :)

Forget the video-recorder. If the TV can't do s-video then passing s-vido
into the VCR is a waste of time; you won't get any benefit in terms of
improved picture - in fact it will be worse.

Either the TV will do s-video, or you are going to have to use composite
video.

(By the way, note the term is "s-video", not "s-vhs". s-vhs is a tape
format, not a video signal format.)

ShokWaveRider

I get the same problem! With showing DVDs that is. I think the ATI card
does not allow DVD content to be displayed on a TV. THis is crap if it
is the truth. At least on a laptop anyway.

SWR

Vellu

Heh....what the hell for is it then?! Seriously though, make sure your TV is
set to receive s-video signal (or if it even supports it) since connecting
s-video via scart may not "autodetect" as s-video but composite(rca)
instead....which would then show black&white due to missing chrominance. On
my TV-set there is one specific SCART-port which should be used when using
s-video and also a specific AV-channel needs to selected. (SCART-port 2,
channel AV2-S...if I select only AV2, the image is black&white)

DraguVaso

Hi Thomas,

I'm having the same problem: only black and white colors, and only one input
on my TV (scart). I guess it doesn't support S-video. Did you find a
solution for this problem?

I read in the manual that it should be possible to connect via RF? Did you
try this?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Pieter

DraguVaso

Thanks! I'll give that a try!!

Mike Corlett said:
The black + white problem is a common issue with ati radeon cards.

I saw this solution in another thread, you need one of these colour
fixers ;

http://av-connection.com/Default.asp?GroupID=24&ClassID=54

I ordered one, they shipped one out to the UK in a matter of days, and
it worked a treat. Seems to give me a much better picture than I had
before too !

Mike