Mixing Sata & IDE drives

Sam

Hi,
I have a 250MB EIDE and 500MB Sata-2. This is my first Sata drive and I
don't know much about them. I would like to setup a dual-boot with XP and
Vista on the Sata. I'm planning on installing XP Pro SP2 first. I was
wondering if the Sata drivers are already integrated in the OS or if I will
need to install them from a floppy with the F6 command when prompt? And, how
do you get the MB to boot from the Sata when master\slave doesn't exist? Are
there any other things I should be aware of? (I won't have access to the net
when I start) Thanks for any help.

DL

It may depend on the sata controler as to whether it requires F6
There are often bios settings to enable boot from sata
You should check your mobo manual, or online, for any specific gotchas when
using sata boot drive.

The process varies depending on mobo & controler, and may require bios
setting, a specific sata controler port, or F6, or even configuring the
drive as raid JBOD

Sam

I have a ASRock - 4CoreDual-Sata2 (ASUS owned). Southbridge - VIA VT8237S.
The manual says to either select RAID or Non-RAID in the BIOS. RAID does
need the floppy drivers and the Non-RAID does not. But it doesn't mention
how to boot to this drive. What about the Boot option settings? I'm assuming
that the Sata would display here - would that ensure that it boots to the
correct drive?

in message