mixing classic ASP with .Net

Dica

we've got a large site that was built using classic ASP. i've read that
session state info can't be shared between classic and .Net, but, as the
client continues to add new functionality to the site, i'd like to move the
development to .Net. is it possible to share info like my login/permission
session cookies between the two frameworks? what other issues am i going to
run into with trying to add .Net pages into classic ASP?

tks

Remy

Yes, you can reuse cookies, in my ASP.NET I use the new authentication
mechanism, but also check and set the old cookie separate.
You can still add develop classic ASP page in a ASP.NET project. There
is no "New Item" option for it, but you can just choose text file and
give it a .asp ending.

Remy Blaettler
www.collaboral.com

Juan T. Llibre

Check this out :
http://weblogs.asp.net/bleroy/archive/2004/10/21/245826.aspx

Essentially :

All solutions incur a performance cost as the data has to be marshaled
between the COM world of ASP and the .NET world of ASP.NET.

First, there’s a solution in MSDN:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/converttoaspnet.aspbut it necessitates modifications on both sides and needs a database,which could degrade the application’s performance.There are also a few commercial products, all in the $200 to $300 range: http://www.consonica.com/solutions/statestitch/which just requires one include on top of each ASP page that uses the session.One drawback is that it doesn’t support COM objects in the session,except for Dictionary. http://www.sessionbridge.com/which requires more code changes to all places where the ASP session is used.Then, there's http://www.dotnetguru.org/articles/us/ASP2ASPNET/ASP2ASPNET.htmland : http://www.dotnetguru.org/articles/us/ASP2ASPNET/ASP2ASPNET.htmlBy the time you have read through these, you'll probablyhave enough information to select a method to do what youwant to do, and implement it.Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVPASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/Foros de ASP.NET en Español : http://asp.net.do/foros/======================================"Dica" <[email protected]> wrote in message we've got a large site that was built using classic ASP. i've read that> session state info can't be shared between classic and .Net, but, as the> client continues to add new functionality to the site, i'd like to move the> development to .Net. is it possible to share info like my login/permission> session cookies between the two frameworks? what other issues am i going to> run into with trying to add .Net pages into classic ASP?>> tks

Juan T. Llibre

Hmmm...

OE flubbed up some links.

Here they are again :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/converttoaspnet.asp http://www.consonica.com/solutions/statestitch/ http://www.sessionbridge.com/ http://www.dotnetguru.org/articles/us/ASP2ASPNET/ASP2ASPNET.htmlJuan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVPASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/Foros de ASP.NET en Español : http://asp.net.do/foros/======================================"Juan T. Llibre" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...> Check this out :> http://weblogs.asp.net/bleroy/archive/2004/10/21/245826.aspx>> Essentially :>> All solutions incur a performance cost as the data has to be marshaled> between the COM world of ASP and the .NET world of ASP.NET.>> First, there’s a solution in MSDN:>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/converttoaspnet.aspbut it necessitates modifications on both sides and needs a database,which coulddegrade the application’s performance.There are also a few commercial products, all in the$200 to $300 range: http://www.consonica.com/solutions/statestitch/which just requires oneinclude on top of each ASP page that uses the session.One drawback is that it doesn’tsupport COM objects in the session,except for Dictionary.http://www.sessionbridge.com/which requires more code changes to all places where the ASPsession is used.Then, there'shttp://www.dotnetguru.org/articles/us/ASP2ASPNET/ASP2ASPNET.htmland :http://www.dotnetguru.org/articles/us/ASP2ASPNET/ASP2ASPNET.htmlBy the time you have readthrough these, you'll probablyhave enough information to select a method to do whatyouwant to do, and implement it.Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVPASP.NET FAQ :http://asp.net.do/faq/Foros de ASP.NET en Español :http://asp.net.do/foros/======================================"Dica" <[email protected]>wrote in message we've got a large site thatwas built using classic ASP. i've read that> session state info can't be shared betweenclassic and .Net, but, as the> client continues to add new functionality to the site, i'dlike to move the> development to .Net. is it possible to share info like mylogin/permission> session cookies between the two frameworks? what other issues am igoing to> run into with trying to add .Net pages into classic ASP?>> tks>