Missing Fonts

Michael

I am running Win2k, SP4. Yesterday suddenly when
rebooting office products reported that the tahoma font
was missing. Looking into the fonts directory
c:\winnt\fonts, shows that out of my nomal 470 fonts that
there are only about 10 there, none of them the standard
fonts shipped with windows. If I do a search on the fonts
folder (*.ttf) then all the fonts are found. I can
successfully copy them to another folder. When I copy
them back to the fonts folder, the fonts install as I
expect them to and are visible via file explorer. However
after I reboot, they dissapear again.

In my mind this means some sort of file system
corruption. I have run the scan disk option to scan the
drive and it does not report any errors.

Has anyone seen this before? Is there a better scan
utility that I should use? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance (I do not really want to reformat and
reinstall)

Michael

George Hester

Let's try this.

Reboot. Then go to Start | Run | charmap | OK. You should get the charmap utility. You can use this to determine which fonts are correctly installed and those that are not. You may have too many fonts installed Michael.

The way you determine this is that you click the drop down and bring up a fomt. If the font looks weird (they are chopped lines instead of smooth font lines) then that's your issue. You will need to remove some of these addin fonts. Each system is unique in the number of fonts which can be installed. This is one way that I use to determine if I am at the limit. If the font shows in a way that I know it should not (shows chopped lines for the letters and numbers) then I have put too many fonts in or I have put a font in that Windows does not like. And I go without that font. But I rarely add fonts anymore.

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: "Michael" <[email protected]>
Subject: Missing Fonts
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 01:53:13 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general

--

Michael,

Check the following registry key to see if it has the normal fonts listed.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts

If the font files are still in the Fonts folder, when looking from a Command Prompt, then it is more likely that something is
changing the settings in the above registry key than affecting the Fonts folder itself.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.