Mirrored Disk

Liege

I have disk0 and disk1 mirrored. What do I need to put in
the boot.ini file to allow me to boot from disk1

This type of help is not very helpful ;o}

DISK MANAGEMENT
You have mirrored your boot volume. To be able to boot
from the mirrored disk, add the appropriate entry to the
boot.ini file.

Thanks for your input.

Liege

Bjorn Landemoo

Liege

You need to add a row in your boot.ini where the ARC path points to disk1.
What this row looks like depends on your hardware, and what your current
boot.ini looks like.

This MS Knowledge Base article explains more about the ARC path in
boot.ini:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=102873

Best regards

Bjorn

Samantha MacInnes [MSFT]

Hi Liege,

You have two ways to follow through on this, you can either add a second
entry to your boot.ini or create a Windows boot disk (fault tolerant boot
disk), with a separate boot.ini so that it only boots off the second disk.

Here's how to create the boot disk:
How to Create a Bootable Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition WGID:491
ID: 119467.KB.EN-US
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;119467

To edit the boot.ini you will need to review your boot.ini file and
determine your current setup, here's an example:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Standard"
/fastdetect

All you will need to do is add a second entry:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Standard"
/fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Standard"
/fastdetect

This will put a second option in your boot.ini boot up options and you can
choose to boot from the second disk. Please test your second entry before
relying on it.

Samantha MacInnes
Support Professional
Microsoft Setup Support
MCSE

Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may benefit. Thanks!

Liege

Thanks that got it going.