Windows XP minimizing icon

Reaction score
ive deleted the minimizing icon by the START button, how do i get it back

many thanks

Reaction score
This is what i needed. i'll just post it incase anyone does this stuiped mistake, and deletes the icon :)

How to Re-create the Show Desktop Icon on Quick Launch Toolbar
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 190355
Last Review : June 23, 2005
Revision : 4.2
This article was previously published under Q190355
Note: The information in this article applies to Internet Explorer 5 only if the Windows Desktop Update component is installed. This component is installed with Windows 98 or can be installed with Internet Explorer 4. For additional information about adding or removing the Windows Desktop Update component, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
165695 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/165695/EN-US/) How to Add or Remove Windows Desktop Update
SUMMARY
This article describes how to re-create the Show Desktop icon on the Quick Launch toolbar. You may want to use this method if the Show Desktop icon has been deleted.
MORE INFORMATION
To re-create the Show Desktop icon on the Quick Launch toolbar, follow these steps: 1. Use any text editor (such as Notepad) to create a file with the following lines:
[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop
2. Save the new file as a file named Show Desktop.scf in the Windows\System or Winnt\System32 folder. Note that Notepad may automatically append a .txt extension to the file name. Remove this extension if Notepad adds it. These steps do not work if the file is named Show Desktop.scf.txt.
3. Quit Notepad.
4. Using Windows Explorer or My Computer, right-click the Show Desktop .scf file, and then click Create Shortcut.
5. Copy the new shortcut to the appropriate folder. In Microsoft Windows 95 or Windows 98, copy the shortcut to this folder:
Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
In Microsoft Windows NT or Microsoft Windows 2000, copy the shortcut to this folder:
Winnt\System32
In Microsoft Windows XP, copy the shortcut to the following folder:
WINDOWS\System32\Config\Systemprofile\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
6. Rename the shortcut to Desktop.
The Show Desktop icon automatically appears on the Quick Launch toolbar.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i managed to drag mine on to the desktop a while back and used that exact fix

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
RyDan said:
ive deleted the minimizing icon by the START button, how do i get it back

many thanks
We do like "self help" ... AND, the how I did it.

Glad you got it sorted, well done. :thumb:

Ask a Question