Minimized session window causes disconnect

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Terminal Server Clients' started by JJimmy, Jun 12, 2005.

  1. JJimmy

    JJimmy Guest

    I have remote clients (usually up to 5) connecting to a Windows 2000
    Server (SP4) via terminal services. For some reason, whenever a client
    minimizes their session window to the task bar and waits a few minutes
    (it seems to be between 3-5 mins), when they try to bring the window
    back up from the taskbar, it just shows a black screen and then
    eventually displays the message "The connection to the remote computer
    was broken. This may have been caused by a network error. Please try
    connecting to the remote computer again." I have read the posts about
    enabling keep alives and setting the keep alive interval and time-- I
    have done all of this on the server, and yet I still continue to
    experience the issue. I have double and triple checked to make sure the
    settings were set correct in the registry. I also have TS set to never
    disconnect idle sessions. After searching for hours, I've run across
    quite a few people with this issue, but the only solution anyone ever
    seems to have is the keep-alive fix. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem
    to be making any difference. I've also seen a few posts mentioning
    screen savers causing a problem, but there isn't one enabled on the
    client or the server. I also checked the router to see if there was
    anything strange in the settings. It's a Linksys BEFSX41, updated
    firmware, and there is no setting anywhere for killing a connection
    that appears idle (even though keep alive is enabled, I've seen people
    mention this as a possible isssue in other posts). I'm really at a loss
    for why this is happening, since I've done just about everything I can
    think of to keep the connection active, yet it still disconnects if and
    only if the window is minimized to the task bar. I've brought up
    sessions on machines where the remote desktop window stays maximized,
    walked away for two hours and come back with it running just fine (no
    disconnects). I've run ping tests of varying sizes against the router
    without any drops. The terminal server is set up in the DMZ, so port
    forwarding isn't an issue. If anyone has experienced a problem similar
    to this and has any suggestions for something to try, I'd really
    appreciate it, since I'm about out of ideas. Thanks!

    JJimmy, Jun 12, 2005

  2. JJimmy

    eabasolo

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2005
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0

    I just can think the problem is in Routing and Remote Access.

    Go to Administrative Tools in your RRAS server, - open Routing and Remote Access - select Remote Access policies - at the right pane, select and right click each policy - Edit Profile - Dialing Constraints - verify the option "Minutes Server can remain idle before it is disconnected" is not selected. Restart RRAS.

    Luck,

    Ernie

    Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
    eabasolo, Jun 17, 2005

  3. JJimmy

    Guest Guest

    RDP does NOT connect via RRAS (unless you're connecting via VPN or Dial-up).

    --
    Patrick Rouse
    Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

    Guest, Jun 20, 2005
  4. JJimmy

    xsryman

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2005
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    JJimmy,

    I am having the exact same difficulties on two new back up servers.....SP4 - Windows 2000 with the same Linksys routers BEFSX41. However, on my orginal server with a Linksys Router BEFSR11, No Problems. Is the router the issue? I have examined every setting in the router. Nothing! This is driving me nuts and my clients are giving up on me. Does anyone have a suggestion???????? Thanks!

    xsryman, Jul 7, 2005
  5. JJimmy

    Mugs

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I am experiencing the same issue in nearly identical circumstances. Win 2000 Server SP 4 and the same linksys router, I am almost certain that is the issue now. I will swap the router and post the result.

    Thanks folks

    Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
    Mugs, Sep 26, 2007
  6. JJimmy

    jfsully61

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Just came across this identical problem right down to the same linksys router models mentioned by xsryman. Was there a resolution to this?

    jfsully61, Jan 26, 2008