Microstaff installation chaos!

Wolf

I recently installed Sony digital camera software on W2k.
In the process, it asked if I wanted burning capability.
So, I said yes. It then installed a Microstaff ap, which,
as the installation dialog flashed by, deleted a *.inf or
*.ini file and something about "...LOCAL_MACHINE..."
flashed by.

Since then, I have no internet connection or modem
recognition. W2k cannot find COM3, which is what it knew
about before Microstaff. Also, the device manager lists
nothing!? My spy and virus searches have said these are
not a problem.

Any specific help would ameliorate my perplexed state.
Thanks, Wolf

Feng Mao

Hi Wolf,

Thank you for posting!

Let us try the below steps to see if it can restore your Internet
Connection.

1. Make sure that your modem has been connected to the computer and it is
powered on.
2. Start your computer
3. Click Start, point to Programs -> Accesories -> Communications ->
Internet Connection Wizard
4. In Internet Connection Wizard, choose the option "I want to setup my
Internet connection manually, or I want to connect through a local area
network (LAN).", then click Next
5. Choose "I connect through a phone line and a modem", then click Next
6. Specify the location information, including area code and so on
7. Now it will launch the wizard toinstall Modem. Follow the wizard to
install your modem
8. Follow the wizard to complete your Internet connection configuration

I hope that it can help you to solve the problem.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Wolf" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Wolf" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Microstaff installation chaos!
| Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 11:23:24 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.applications
|
| I recently installed Sony digital camera software on W2k.
| In the process, it asked if I wanted burning capability.
| So, I said yes. It then installed a Microstaff ap, which,
| as the installation dialog flashed by, deleted a *.inf or
| *.ini file and something about "...LOCAL_MACHINE..."
| flashed by.
|
| Since then, I have no internet connection or modem
| recognition. W2k cannot find COM3, which is what it knew
| about before Microstaff. Also, the device manager lists
| nothing!? My spy and virus searches have said these are
| not a problem.
|
| Any specific help would ameliorate my perplexed state.
| Thanks, Wolf

Wolf

Thanks for the response! I will go back to my computer
and try it, though it looks like something I have tried.
I will post the results tomorrow morning.

Should it not work, I still believe the Microstaff
deletion of winaspi or whatever *.inf or *ini file is
what makes the os incapable of recognizing COM3.

Thanks again, and I will be back here tomorrow morning!

Wolf

Let us try the below steps to see if it can restore your Internet
Connection.

1. Make sure that your modem has been connected to the computer and it is
powered on.
2. Start your computer
3. Click Start, point to Programs -> Accesories -> Communications ->
Internet Connection Wizard
4. In Internet Connection Wizard, choose the option "I want to setup my
Internet connection manually, or I want to connect through a local area
network (LAN).", then click Next
5. Choose "I connect through a phone line and a modem", then click Next
6. Specify the location information, including area code and so on
7. Now it will launch the wizard toinstall Modem. Follow the wizard to
install your modem
8. Follow the wizard to complete your Internet connection configuration

I hope that it can help you to solve the problem.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Wolf" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Wolf" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Microstaff installation chaos!
| Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 11:23:24 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.applications
|
| I recently installed Sony digital camera software on W2k.
| In the process, it asked if I wanted burning capability.
| So, I said yes. It then installed a Microstaff ap, which,
| as the installation dialog flashed by, deleted a *.inf or
| *.ini file and something about "...LOCAL_MACHINE..."
| flashed by.
|
| Since then, I have no internet connection or modem
| recognition. W2k cannot find COM3, which is what it knew
| about before Microstaff. Also, the device manager lists
| nothing!? My spy and virus searches have said these are
| not a problem.
|
| Any specific help would ameliorate my perplexed state.
| Thanks, Wolf

.

Feng Mao

Hi Wolf,

I am looking forward to your result. If it is still failed, please post the
error message to the newsgroup if it has.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Wolf" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Wolf" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Microstaff installation chaos!
| Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 18:10:02 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.applications
|
| Thanks for the response! I will go back to my computer
| and try it, though it looks like something I have tried.
| I will post the results tomorrow morning.
|
| Should it not work, I still believe the Microstaff
| deletion of winaspi or whatever *.inf or *ini file is
| what makes the os incapable of recognizing COM3.
|
| Thanks again, and I will be back here tomorrow morning!
|
| Wolf

| >|
| >| I recently installed Sony digital camera software on
| W2k.
| >| In the process, it asked if I wanted burning
| capability.
| >| So, I said yes. It then installed a Microstaff ap,
| which,
| >| as the installation dialog flashed by, deleted a *.inf
| or
| >| *.ini file and something about "...LOCAL_MACHINE..."
| >| flashed by.
| >|
| >| Since then, I have no internet connection or modem
| >| recognition. W2k cannot find COM3, which is what it
| knew
| >| about before Microstaff. Also, the device manager
| lists
| >| nothing!? My spy and virus searches have said these
| are
| >| not a problem.
| >|
| >| Any specific help would ameliorate my perplexed state.
| >| Thanks, Wolf
| >|

| >.

Wolf

Thanks for the additional response. Your procedure did
not produce results. I believe the problem is connected
to at least one of the symptoms I discovered while
searching system events, etc. When I open the Device
Manager, it shows nothing! I believe solving the internet
connection will be easy once I know what critical file is
missing in the os. If the Device Manager mystery doesn't
turn on a light bulb in your head, I will provide
additional info. The graphics aps, e.g., Freehand,
Illustrator, work ok. The problem seems to reside in the
communications area. All had worked fine, including aol,
for several months until I installed the Sony digital
camera software.

Thanks,
Wolf

I am looking forward to your result. If it is still failed, please post the
error message to the newsgroup if it has.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Wolf" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Wolf" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Microstaff installation chaos!
| Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 18:10:02 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.applications
|
| Thanks for the response! I will go back to my computer
| and try it, though it looks like something I have tried.
| I will post the results tomorrow morning.
|
| Should it not work, I still believe the Microstaff
| deletion of winaspi or whatever *.inf or *ini file is
| what makes the os incapable of recognizing COM3.
|
| Thanks again, and I will be back here tomorrow morning!
|
| Wolf

| >|
| >| Since then, I have no internet connection or modem
| >| recognition. W2k cannot find COM3, which is what it
| knew
| >| about before Microstaff. Also, the device manager
| lists
| >| nothing!? My spy and virus searches have said these
| are
| >| not a problem.
| >|
| >| Any specific help would ameliorate my perplexed state.
| >| Thanks, Wolf
| >|

| >.

.

Feng Mao

Hi Wolf,

Thank you for posting back!

I would like to double check that Device Manager shows nothing or you
cannot find the modem in the Device Manager?

If nothing appears in Device Manager, please boot your computer to Safe
Mode. You can get into Safe Mode by pressing F8 key just befoer the Windows
2000 logo appears, it will show you a text mode based menu, choose Safe
Mode in the list.

In addition, I would like to reconfirm if there is any error message
occured when you followed the instruction in Internet Connection Wizard.
Such information will be useful for troubleshooting.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Wolf" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Wolf" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Microstaff installation chaos!
| Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 17:00:35 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.applications
|
| Thanks for the additional response. Your procedure did
| not produce results. I believe the problem is connected
| to at least one of the symptoms I discovered while
| searching system events, etc. When I open the Device
| Manager, it shows nothing! I believe solving the internet
| connection will be easy once I know what critical file is
| missing in the os. If the Device Manager mystery doesn't
| turn on a light bulb in your head, I will provide
| additional info. The graphics aps, e.g., Freehand,
| Illustrator, work ok. The problem seems to reside in the
| communications area. All had worked fine, including aol,
| for several months until I installed the Sony digital
| camera software.
|
| Thanks,
| Wolf

| >|
| >|

| >| >|
| on
| >| W2k.
| >| capability.
| >| which,
| *.inf
| >| or
| about "...LOCAL_MACHINE..."
| >| >|
| >| knew
| >| lists
| >| are
| >| >|
| state.
| >| >|

| >|

| >.

Wolf

Hi,

I have not tried safe mode yet, as I just read your most
recent response. The Device Manager shows no devices. The
Internet Connection Wizard showed no error; it just could
not proceed when it could find no modem.

System Info: W2k Pro, v 5.0.2195, Service Pack 4 Build
2195.
Dell OptiPlex G1 400L+
System Directory: C:\WINNT\system 32

Problem Devices report:
error code 10, Sound Blaster (WDM) ROOT\MEDIA\0000
error code 31, WAN Miniport (ATW) ROOT\NET\0000
error code 22, NT Apm/Legacy Interface Node
ROOT\NTAPM\0000
error code 10, IMG VP1 LPTENUM\IMGVP1\1&197F416F&0&LPT1.0
error code 31, Zoom V.92 PCI Voice Fazmodem
PCI\VEN_14F1&DEV_10B4&SUBSYS_9300141D&REV_89
\2&EBB567F&0&70
error code 10, Communications Port (COM4) ROOT\PORTS\0000

The printer works fine. Sound card and modem are there,
hard and soft (drivers), but they are invisible, and do
not work.

I will go try safe mode, and I will look for a response
this evening or tomorrow morning when I can get back to
this computer.

I appreciate your efforts, and if you request additional
information from, e.g., system reports, I will supply
that as well.

Thanks, again.
Wolf
I would like to double check that Device Manager shows nothing or you
cannot find the modem in the Device Manager?

If nothing appears in Device Manager, please boot your computer to Safe
Mode. You can get into Safe Mode by pressing F8 key just befoer the Windows
2000 logo appears, it will show you a text mode based menu, choose Safe
Mode in the list.

In addition, I would like to reconfirm if there is any error message
occured when you followed the instruction in Internet Connection Wizard.
Such information will be useful for troubleshooting.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Wolf" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Wolf" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Microstaff installation chaos!
| Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 17:00:35 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.applications
|
| Thanks for the additional response. Your procedure did
| not produce results. I believe the problem is connected
| to at least one of the symptoms I discovered while
| searching system events, etc. When I open the Device
| Manager, it shows nothing! I believe solving the internet
| connection will be easy once I know what critical file is
| missing in the os. If the Device Manager mystery doesn't
| turn on a light bulb in your head, I will provide
| additional info. The graphics aps, e.g., Freehand,
| Illustrator, work ok. The problem seems to reside in the
| communications area. All had worked fine, including aol,
| for several months until I installed the Sony digital
| camera software.
|
| Thanks,
| Wolf

| >|
| >|

| >| >|
| >| knew
| >| lists
| >| are
| >| >|
| state.
| >| >|

| >|

| >.

.

Feng Mao

Hi Wolf,

Thank you for the supplemental information which is quite useful.

In the Problem Devices report, it lists your modem, that is Zoom V.92 PCI
Voice Fazmodem. However, it got "Error code 31".

This error message can occur for either of the following reasons:

- If the operating system calls the driver's AddDevice routine and is
unsuccessful, or if the operating system fails to load a dependent device
or filter driver.

- After unloading a driver, Windows 2000 did not close its handles, delete
its device names, and so on. From Object Manager's perspective, this
indicates that the old object/device never went away, so the system does
not create a device object for a device that reappears because of a
possible object name collision.

Troubleshooting

This behavior is usually caused by an issue in the device driver. Verify
that the driver you are using is digitally signed for Windows 2000. In the
second situation described above, the error message is resolved after you
restart the computer. To prevent this behavior from occurring again, obtain
a Windows 2000 signed driver from the device manufacturer.

If a depedent filter driver is not able to start, you can view the device
class key in the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class

Locate the device type that is reporting the error 31, and the view the
upper filter or lower filter entries. Make sure associated service entries
are located in the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services

You can either troubleshoot the dependent service or remove the offending
upper filter or lower filter entry from the class registry entry. For
example, the mouse reports an error 31, therefore, this is the mouse class
entry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96F-E325-11C
E-BFC1-08002BE10318}

upperfilters:RegMultiSz:mouclass <OffendingDriver>

You can either troubleshoot why the <OffendingDriver> does not start, or
remove the <OffendingDriver> entry from the upper filters, and then restart
the system.

I hope that the above information is helpful for you.

Have a good day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Wolf" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Wolf" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Microstaff installation chaos!
| Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 11:24:04 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.applications
|
| Hi,
|
| I have not tried safe mode yet, as I just read your most
| recent response. The Device Manager shows no devices. The
| Internet Connection Wizard showed no error; it just could
| not proceed when it could find no modem.
|
| System Info: W2k Pro, v 5.0.2195, Service Pack 4 Build
| 2195.
| Dell OptiPlex G1 400L+
| System Directory: C:\WINNT\system 32
|
| Problem Devices report:
| error code 10, Sound Blaster (WDM) ROOT\MEDIA\0000
| error code 31, WAN Miniport (ATW) ROOT\NET\0000
| error code 22, NT Apm/Legacy Interface Node
| ROOT\NTAPM\0000
| error code 10, IMG VP1 LPTENUM\IMGVP1\1&197F416F&0&LPT1.0
| error code 31, Zoom V.92 PCI Voice Fazmodem
| PCI\VEN_14F1&DEV_10B4&SUBSYS_9300141D&REV_89
| \2&EBB567F&0&70
| error code 10, Communications Port (COM4) ROOT\PORTS\0000
|
| The printer works fine. Sound card and modem are there,
| hard and soft (drivers), but they are invisible, and do
| not work.
|
| I will go try safe mode, and I will look for a response
| this evening or tomorrow morning when I can get back to
| this computer.
|
| I appreciate your efforts, and if you request additional
| information from, e.g., system reports, I will supply
| that as well.
|
| Thanks, again.
| Wolf

| >|
| >| Thanks,
| >| Wolf
| >|
| >|

| >| >|
| >| >|
| >| >|

| >| >| >|
| software
| >| on
| ap,
| >| *.inf
| >| about "...LOCAL_MACHINE..."
| >| >| >|
| modem
| it
| manager
| these
| >| >| >|
| >| state.
| >| >| >|

| >| >|

| >|

| >.

Wolf

Hi,

I'm still sifting through the registry information from
your last post. I believe the solution is in the
registry; however, having made corrections in registry
previously, I proceed with extreme caution. I will post
good news, or post additional info to help narrow it down.
Please stand by.

> [...]

| Problem Devices report:
| error code 10, Sound Blaster (WDM) ROOT\MEDIA\0000
| error code 31, WAN Miniport (ATW) ROOT\NET\0000
| error code 22, NT Apm/Legacy Interface Node
| ROOT\NTAPM\0000
| error code 10, IMG VP1 LPTENUM\IMGVP1 \1&197F416F&0&LPT1.0
| error code 31, Zoom V.92 PCI Voice Fazmodem
| PCI\VEN_14F1&DEV_10B4&SUBSYS_9300141D&REV_89
| \2&EBB567F&0&70
| error code 10, Communications Port (COM4) ROOT\PORTS\0000
|
| The printer works fine. Sound card and modem are there,
| hard and soft (drivers), but they are invisible, and do
| not work.
|
| I will go try safe mode, and I will look for a response
| this evening or tomorrow morning when I can get back to
| this computer.
|
| I appreciate your efforts, and if you request additional
| information from, e.g., system reports, I will supply

| >|
| >| Thanks,
| >| Wolf
| >|
| >|

| >| >|
| >| >|
| >| >|

| >| >| >|
| modem
| it
| manager
| these
| >| >| >|
| >| state.
| >| >| >|

| >| >|

| >|

| >.

.

Feng Mao

Hi Wolf,

Yes, please backup your current registry key and proceed with caution. I
hope that your problem can be solved.

Feel free to post the result back, Wolf.

Have a good day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Wolf" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Wolf" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Microstaff installation chaos!
| Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:23:48 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.applications
|
| Hi,
|
| I'm still sifting through the registry information from
| your last post. I believe the solution is in the
| registry; however, having made corrections in registry
| previously, I proceed with extreme caution. I will post
| good news, or post additional info to help narrow it down.
| Please stand by.
|
| Thanks,
| Wolf

| >|
| >| I have not tried safe mode yet, as I just read your
| most
| >| recent response. The Device Manager shows no devices.
| The
| >| Internet Connection Wizard showed no error; it just
| could
| >| not proceed when it could find no modem.
| >|
| >| System Info: W2k Pro, v 5.0.2195, Service Pack 4 Build
| >| 2195.
| >| Dell OptiPlex G1 400L+
| >| System Directory: C:\WINNT\system 32
| >|
| >| Problem Devices report:
| >| error code 10, Sound Blaster (WDM) ROOT\MEDIA\0000
| >| error code 31, WAN Miniport (ATW) ROOT\NET\0000
| >| error code 22, NT Apm/Legacy Interface Node
| >| ROOT\NTAPM\0000
| >| error code 10, IMG VP1 LPTENUM\IMGVP1
| \1&197F416F&0&LPT1.0
| >| error code 31, Zoom V.92 PCI Voice Fazmodem
| >| PCI\VEN_14F1&DEV_10B4&SUBSYS_9300141D&REV_89
| >| \2&EBB567F&0&70
| >| error code 10, Communications Port (COM4)
| ROOT\PORTS\0000
| >|
| >| The printer works fine. Sound card and modem are
| there,
| >| hard and soft (drivers), but they are invisible, and
| do
| >| not work.
| >|
| >| I will go try safe mode, and I will look for a
| response
| >| this evening or tomorrow morning when I can get back
| >| this computer.
| >|
| >| I appreciate your efforts, and if you request
| additional
| >| information from, e.g., system reports, I will supply
| >| that as well.
| >|
| >| Thanks, again.
| >| Wolf
| >|

| >| >|
| >| >|
| >| >|

| >| >| >|
| >| >| >|
| >| >| >|

| >| >| >|
| >| warranties,

| microsoft.public.win2000.applications
| >| >| >| >|
| >| software
| Microstaff
| >| ap,
| deleted a
| >| >| >| >|
| >| modem
| what
| >| it
| >| manager
| >| these
| >| >| >| >|
| perplexed
| >| >| >| >|

| >| >| >|

| >| >|

| >|

| >.

Wolf

Hello,

I backed up the registry, and have not yet solved the
problem. I have 2 events from the System Log, as follows:

Event type: Error
Event source: Serial
Event category: none
Event ID: 36
Date: 8/16/2004 (and every startup since The Problem}

While validating that \Device\Serial0 was really a serial
port, the contents of the divisor latch register was
identical to the interrupt enable and the receive
registers. The device is assumed not to be a serial port
and will be deleted.

Data:
0000: 00 00 08 00 02 00 56 00 ......V.
0008: 00 00 00 00 24 00 06 c0 ....$..A(' diacritical over
the A)
0010: 3e 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 >.......
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: e8 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 e.......(' diacritical over
the e)

Event type: error
Event source: server
Event category: none
Event ID: 2506
Date: (same as above)

The value named IRPStackSize in the server's Registry key
LanmanServer/Parameters was invalid. The was ignored, and
processing continued.

Data:
0000: 57 00 00 00 W...

Additionally, 5 Events from Application Log:

Event type: error
Event source: PerfDisk
Event ID: 1000

Unable to open the Disk performance object. Status code
returned is data DWORD 0.

Data:
0000: 70 10 00 00 p...

Event type: error
Event source: PerfNet
Event ID: 2004

Unable to open the Server service. Server performance
data will not be returned. Error code returned is in data
DWORD 0.

Data:
0000: 34 00 00 c0 4..A(' diacritical over the A)

Event type: error
Event source: PerfNet
Event ID: 2002

Unable to open the Redirector service. Redirector
performance data will not be returned. Error code
returned is in data DWORD 0.

Data:
0000: 34 00 00 c0 4..A(' diacritical over the A)

Event type: error
Event source: rasctrs
Event ID: 2001

The description for Event ID (2001) in Source (rasctrs)
cannot be found. The local computer may not have the
necessary registry information or message DLL files to
display messages from a remote computer. The following
information is part of the event: The event log file is
corrupt..

Event type: warning
Event source: WinMgmt
Event ID: 36

WMI ADAP was unable to load the Spooler performance
library because it returned an invalid return code:
0x80041001.

So . . . that is the info I have today. I seriously hope
something in there will trigger a SPECIFIC cure for the
invisible COM3 and related problems. I realize some of
the info above is not related to the COM3 problem, and as
long as the computer works in all areas which I use, in a
reasonable manner, the others do not matter at this time.

I am now at the point, where, if all the info I have
provided does not produce actual results, I will trash
w2kPro and install XP Pro. I would rather actually solve
the problem, but, I am WAY out of time. I need the
immediacy of the internet on my computer for work
applications, which = $. My need to resolve this now. I
appreciate your interest and suggestions.

Please let me know what you can, as soon as you can.

Thanks, again,
Wolf

Yes, please backup your current registry key and proceed with caution. I
hope that your problem can be solved.

Feel free to post the result back, Wolf.

Have a good day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Wolf" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Wolf" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Microstaff installation chaos!
| Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:23:48 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.applications
|
| Hi,
|
| I'm still sifting through the registry information from
| your last post. I believe the solution is in the
| registry; however, having made corrections in registry
| previously, I proceed with extreme caution. I will post
| good news, or post additional info to help narrow it down.
| Please stand by.
|
| Thanks,
| Wolf

| >|
| >| I have not tried safe mode yet, as I just read your
| most
| >| recent response. The Device Manager shows no devices.
| The
| >| Internet Connection Wizard showed no error; it just
| could
| >| not proceed when it could find no modem.
| >|
| >| System Info: W2k Pro, v 5.0.2195, Service Pack 4 Build
| >| 2195.
| >| Dell OptiPlex G1 400L+
| >| System Directory: C:\WINNT\system 32
| >|
| >| Problem Devices report:
| >| error code 10, Sound Blaster (WDM) ROOT\MEDIA\0000
| >| error code 31, WAN Miniport (ATW) ROOT\NET\0000
| >| error code 22, NT Apm/Legacy Interface Node
| >| ROOT\NTAPM\0000
| >| error code 10, IMG VP1 LPTENUM\IMGVP1
| \1&197F416F&0&LPT1.0
| >| error code 31, Zoom V.92 PCI Voice Fazmodem
| >| PCI\VEN_14F1&DEV_10B4&SUBSYS_9300141D&REV_89
| >| \2&EBB567F&0&70
| >| error code 10, Communications Port (COM4)
| ROOT\PORTS\0000
| >|
| >| The printer works fine. Sound card and modem are
| there,
| >| hard and soft (drivers), but they are invisible, and
| do
| >| not work.
| >|
| >| I will go try safe mode, and I will look for a
| response
| >| this evening or tomorrow morning when I can get back
| >| this computer.
| >|
| >| I appreciate your efforts, and if you request
| additional
| >| information from, e.g., system reports, I will supply
| >| that as well.
| >|
| >| Thanks, again.
| >| Wolf
| >|

| >| >|
| >| >|
| >| >|

| >| >| >|
| >| >| >|
| >| >| >|

| >| >| >|
| >|
| >| warranties,

| microsoft.public.win2000.applications
| >| >| >| >|
| >| software
| Microstaff
| >| ap,
| deleted a
| >| >| >| >|
| >| modem
| what
| >| it
| >| manager
| >| these
| >| >| >| >|
| perplexed
| >| >| >| >|

| >| >| >|

| >| >|

| >|

.

Feng Mao

Hi Wolf,

Thank you for the supplemental information.

From 2 system event logs and 5 application event logs, I found that the
below system event log and application logs might be related to your
problem.

Event type: Error
Event source: Serial
Event category: none
Event ID: 36
Date: 8/16/2004 (and every startup since The Problem}

While validating that \Device\Serial0 was really a serial
port, the contents of the divisor latch register was
identical to the interrupt enable and the receive
registers. The device is assumed not to be a serial port
and will be deleted.

Data:
0000: 00 00 08 00 02 00 56 00 ......V.
0008: 00 00 00 00 24 00 06 c0 ....$..A(' diacritical over
the A)
0010: 3e 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 >.......
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: e8 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 e.......(' diacritical over
the e)

Event type: error
Event source: rasctrs
Event ID: 2001

The description for Event ID (2001) in Source (rasctrs)
cannot be found. The local computer may not have the
necessary registry information or message DLL files to
display messages from a remote computer. The following
information is part of the event: The event log file is
corrupt..

The system event log shows that it cannot find the serial port, while the
application event log shows that it cannot find rasctrs.dll or its related
files. Rasctrs.dll is the component for RAS.

As it seems the system files are missing or corrupted and you want to solve
the problem as soon as possible. Please understand time is needed to
further isolate the files caused the problem. An easier way is to repair
Windows 2000. It will reload the system files from the setup CD and inherit
the origional settings and configuration.

To perform a reparation (in-place upgrade) of Windows 2000:

1. Insert the Windows 2000 Setup CD into the CD-ROM drive, start the
computer, and then press a key to start from the CD-ROM.

2. On the Windows 2000 Setup screen, press ENTER to run the "To set up
Windows 2000 now, press Enter" command.

3. Click Accept to accept the License Agreement.

4. Setup should now detect your installation. NOTE: If the Setup program
does not detect a previous installation but just continues to the
partitioning screen, there is a problem. An in-place upgrade may not be
possible.

5. When you are prompted to repair the existing Windows 2000 installation,
press R. Windows 2000 Setup performs an in-place upgrade of the existing
installation. Note that you might lose some of your customized settings for
the system files.

For additional information about the repair processes, click the following
article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

292175 How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=292175

I hope it can solve the problem quickly.

> [...]

| library because it returned an invalid return code:
| 0x80041001.
|
| So . . . that is the info I have today. I seriously hope
| something in there will trigger a SPECIFIC cure for the
| invisible COM3 and related problems. I realize some of
| the info above is not related to the COM3 problem, and as
| long as the computer works in all areas which I use, in a
| reasonable manner, the others do not matter at this time.
|
| I am now at the point, where, if all the info I have
| provided does not produce actual results, I will trash
| w2kPro and install XP Pro. I would rather actually solve
| the problem, but, I am WAY out of time. I need the
| immediacy of the internet on my computer for work
| applications, which = $. My need to resolve this now. I
| appreciate your interest and suggestions.
|
| Please let me know what you can, as soon as you can.

| >|
| >| I'm still sifting through the registry information
| from
| >| your last post. I believe the solution is in the
| >| registry; however, having made corrections in registry
| >| previously, I proceed with extreme caution. I will
| post
| >| good news, or post additional info to help narrow it
| down.
| >| Please stand by.
| >|
| >| Thanks,
| >| Wolf
| >|
| >|

| >|
| >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class
| >| \{4D36E96F-E325-11C

| >| does not start, or
| >| filters, and then restart

| >| your newsreader so