Microsoft VBScript runtime error

Lauren

I am a graphic/web designer for my company and I needed a hit counter for
one of our Intranet websites that I built. Since I'm not much of a
programmer I had our VB programmer create a script for the counter. We
added to the home page, but receive the following error from the site....
Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d'
Type mismatch: 'session'

Our VB programmer seems to think that it something that needs to be set on
the server end, such as access privelages. So I asked our Systems Admin to
give read/write access to that specific web folder, but the error still
occurs. I am at a lose on what to have him do next. My Systems Admin does
not have time to research the error, but said if I can tell him exactly what
to do, he will do it. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks,

Lauren

Thomas A. Rowe

Are you running the intranet via http (server based) or Disk-based (drive letter)?
Do all of the pages in the site have .asp extensions, if server-based which required?

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Lauren

We are running the intranet via http. No all the pages are not .asp, but
majority are.

Lauren

Thomas A. Rowe

Ok, the programmer need to look at the page that generate the error regarding the session.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Thomas A. Rowe

Have the Admin person make sure that the folder holding the counter.txt file has read/write and
delete permissions, as well as the file itself.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Lauren

I have told him to do that to the web folder itself, but i'm not sure about
the file. I have sent him an email and I will let you know if something
comes of it.

Thank you,

Lauren

Thomas A. Rowe

You only need have him do it on a single folder, which is where you would store the txt file.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Lauren

Yes I had him do that. Looks like he has been messing w/ it though since I
emailed him and now the error is this....
ADODB.Field error '800a0cb3'
Current Recordset does not support updating. This may be a limitation of the
provider, or of the selected locktype

Do you know what this means?

Lauren

Thomas A. Rowe

Limitation indicated is regarding the use of a text database driver. Have you/he consider using an
Access database to store the count, with the global.asa file, which would track users and update the
database?

Maybe Kevin Spencer can offer some thoughts, since the code look like his.
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Lauren

Tom,

Can you forward this issue to Kevin. I attempted to email him at ....
Recipient address: (e-mail address removed)
Reason: Remote SMTP server has rejected address

As up can see it was rejected.

Thanks,

Lauren

Thomas A. Rowe

Hopefully, he will read it here and reply, since it is a free script.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Tom,

Can you forward this issue to Kevin. I attempted to email him at ....
Recipient address: (e-mail address removed)
Reason: Remote SMTP server has rejected address

As up can see it was rejected.

Thanks,

Lauren

Lauren

My Systems Admin has updated the file and we are back to the oringinal
error.
Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d'
Type mismatch: 'session'
/WAC/index.asp, line 575

Lauren

Bob Lehmann

What's on line 575 in index.asp?

Bob Lehmann

Lauren said:
My Systems Admin has updated the file and we are back to the oringinal
error.
Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d'
Type mismatch: 'session'
/WAC/index.asp, line 575

Lauren

limitation
of the am ..asp support from needs

Thomas A. Rowe

Lauren,

Is there an included file in index.asp, if so, you have to count those lines as well to get to line
575.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Stefan B Rusynko

I don't see anywhere that the session object (ct) is added to the session contents, so you can't call it

I see
ct = a.ReadLine
'that does not create a session object content item - it just creates a variable named ct
if session("ct")
' that is lookhing for the session that does not exist

To create a session object you need
Session("ct") = a.ReadLine
or
ct = a.ReadLine