    --
    Humans: contact me at ykhan at rogers dot com
    Spambots: just reply to this email address ;-)

    Yousuf Khan, Aug 20, 2004

  2. "Yousuf Khan" <> wrote in message
    news:T4hVc.1825883$...
    | The previously named Windows XP and 2003 "64-bit edition for 64-bit extended
    | systems" has now just been shorted to "for X64". Eg. Windows XP Pro for X64
    | or Windows Server 2003 for X64.
    |
    | Looks like Microsoft has decided on X64 as the universal moniker for all
    | X86-64 marketing names.
    |
    | Yousuf Khan

    How many staff meetings did it take for them to think up 'X64'
    I wonder?

    Stubby Boardman, Aug 21, 2004

  3. Yousuf Khan

    Ed Light Guest

    "Yousuf Khan" <> wrote
    > shorted to "for X64". Eg. Windows XP Pro for X64
    > or Windows Server 2003 for X64.

    Will there be a Home edition?

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Aug 21, 2004
  4. Yousuf Khan

    MyndPhlyp Guest

    "Ed Light" <> wrote in message

    > "Yousuf Khan" <> wrote
    > > shorted to "for X64". Eg. Windows XP Pro for X64
    > > or Windows Server 2003 for X64.

    > Will there be a Home edition?

    The Home edition seems to be somewhat dysfunctional - they're thinking about
    calling it X Spouse. It was going to be finalized in a matter of weeks, but
    attorneys for both parties are dragging matters out and it's getting very
    messy.

    (Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.)

    MyndPhlyp, Aug 21, 2004
  5. Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Stubby Boardman wrote:
    >> Looks like Microsoft has decided on X64 as the universal moniker for
    >> all X86-64 marketing names.
    >>
    >> Yousuf Khan
    >>

    > How many staff meetings did it take for them to think up 'X64'
    > I wonder?

    Probably one more than the one that came up with "64-bit Edition for 64-bit
    Extended Systems". :)

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Aug 21, 2004
  6. Yousuf Khan

    Tony Hill Guest

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:02:37 -0700, "Stubby Boardman" <>
    wrote:

    >"Yousuf Khan" <> wrote in message
    >| The previously named Windows XP and 2003 "64-bit edition for 64-bit extended
    >| systems" has now just been shorted to "for X64". Eg. Windows XP Pro for X64
    >| or Windows Server 2003 for X64.
    >|
    >| Looks like Microsoft has decided on X64 as the universal moniker for all
    >| X86-64 marketing names.
    >|
    >| Yousuf Khan
    >|

    >How many staff meetings did it take for them to think up 'X64'
    >I wonder?

    Probably none. It sounds to me like the middle management was off
    having countless staff meetings to decide on "64-bit edition for
    64-bit extended systems" while everyone actually doing the work just
    ignored all that garbage and decided on 'X64'.

    Then, after the bean counters figured out that the staff-meeting name
    was going to require them to completely redesign the box, labels and
    all marketing material because it was just too long, someone figured
    on the bright idea of completely ignoring the morons who thought of
    this name in the first place and just using 'X64', which is what
    everyone was calling it in the first place.

    Ok... maybe that's just my version of the events without having
    actually been involved in any way :>

    -------------
    Tony Hill

    Tony Hill, Aug 21, 2004
  7. Ed Light wrote:

    > "Yousuf Khan" <> wrote
    > > shorted to "for X64". Eg. Windows XP Pro for X64
    > > or Windows Server 2003 for X64.

    > Will there be a Home edition?

    Since M$ used Rolling Stones 'Start me up' for promoting Win95,
    I suppose that this time they will use The Beatles 'When I'm 64'.

    Johannes H Andersen, Aug 21, 2004
  8. LOL!

    IIRC, "I can't get no satisfaction" was used for Win95?

    "Johannes H Andersen" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Alexander Grigoriev, Aug 21, 2004
  9. Yousuf Khan

    Lee Waun Guest

    "Alexander Grigoriev" <> wrote in message
    > LOL!
    >
    > IIRC, "I can't get no satisfaction" was used for Win95?

    Nope it was "Start me Up" for win95

    Lee Waun, Aug 21, 2004
  10. Yousuf Khan

    Ed Guest

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 19:26:50 GMT, "Lee Waun" <> wrote:

    >"Alexander Grigoriev" <> wrote in message
    >> LOL!
    >>
    >> IIRC, "I can't get no satisfaction" was used for Win95?
    >>

    >Nope it was "Start me Up" for win95

    Later it was changed to....
    (Try to) Start Me Up

    :p

    Ed, Aug 21, 2004
  11. Yousuf Khan

    Nick Roberts Guest

    >> Nope it was "Start me Up" for win95
    >>

    > Later it was changed to....
    > (Try to) Start Me Up

    Then to "Just Press Start" ...

    .... and then "Just Press Reset"

    ;-)

    --
    Nick Roberts

    Nick Roberts, Aug 21, 2004
  12. Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Lee Waun wrote:
    > "Alexander Grigoriev" <> wrote in message
    >> LOL!
    >>
    >> IIRC, "I can't get no satisfaction" was used for Win95?
    >>

    > Nope it was "Start me Up" for win95

    He was trying to be clever.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Aug 22, 2004
  13. Yousuf Khan

    David Magda Guest

    "Lee Waun" <> writes:

    > "Alexander Grigoriev" <> wrote in message
    > > LOL!
    > >
    > > IIRC, "I can't get no satisfaction" was used for Win95?
    > >

    > Nope it was "Start me Up" for win95

    Though they edited the song to removed the line "You make a grown
    man cry".

    --
    David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>, http://www.magda.ca/

    David Magda, Aug 23, 2004
  14. Yousuf Khan

    Lee Waun Guest

    >> Nope it was "Start me Up" for win95

    > Though they edited the song to removed the line "You make a grown
    > man cry".

    Good point.

    Lee Waun, Aug 24, 2004
  15. In <>, on 08/23/04
    at 04:46 PM, David Magda <> said:

    >Though they edited the song to removed the line "You make a grown man
    >cry".

    It would do them no good to plainly state the obvious! :cool:)))

    Nelson

    Nelson M. G. Santiago <>

    Today is Tue Aug 24, 2004.

    As of 11:08am this OS/2 Warp 4 system has been up for 0 days, 0 hours, and
    24 minutes. It's running 31 processes with 132 threads.

    Nelson M. G. Santiago, Aug 24, 2004
  16. Yousuf Khan

    MyndPhlyp Guest

    "Nelson M. G. Santiago" <> wrote in message
    > In <>, on 08/23/04
    > at 04:46 PM, David Magda <> said:
    >

    > >Though they edited the song to removed the line "You make a grown man
    > >cry".

    > It would do them no good to plainly state the obvious! :cool:)))

    If that were true, McDonalds and Burger King would not have been sued by
    people spilling commonly known hot beverages in their laps. We might have a
    foundation here for a class action lawsuit. Hmmm.

    (I wonder ... if my kid burns his hand on the stove, who would I sue: the
    stove manufacturer, the electric company, the installer, the supplier, the
    interior designer, the landlord? After all, our (US) court system has pretty
    much accepted we are not responsible for our own actions these days.)

    MyndPhlyp, Aug 24, 2004
  17. Yousuf Khan

    Rob Stow Guest

    MyndPhlyp wrote:
    > "Nelson M. G. Santiago" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>In <>, on 08/23/04
    >> at 04:46 PM, David Magda <> said:
    >>

    >>>Though they edited the song to removed the line "You make a grown man
    >>>cry".

    >> It would do them no good to plainly state the obvious! :cool:)))

    > If that were true, McDonalds and Burger King would not have been sued by
    > people spilling commonly known hot beverages in their laps. We might have a
    > foundation here for a class action lawsuit. Hmmm.
    >
    > (I wonder ... if my kid burns his hand on the stove, who would I sue: the
    > stove manufacturer, the electric company, the installer, the supplier, the
    > interior designer, the landlord? After all, our (US) court system has pretty
    > much accepted we are not responsible for our own actions these days.)

    None of the above. Your wife was the one who
    left the stove unattended while the burner was
    hot. :-D

    --
    Reply to
    Do not remove anything.

    Rob Stow, Aug 24, 2004
  18. Yousuf Khan

    MyndPhlyp Guest

    "Rob Stow" <> wrote in message
    > MyndPhlyp wrote:
    > >
    > > (I wonder ... if my kid burns his hand on the stove, who would I sue:

    the
    > > stove manufacturer, the electric company, the installer, the supplier,

    the
    > > interior designer, the landlord? After all, our (US) court system has

    pretty
    > > much accepted we are not responsible for our own actions these days.)
    > >

    > None of the above. Your wife was the one who
    > left the stove unattended while the burner was
    > hot. :-D

    Ah - no good. She would have grounds for a countersuit since I (presumably)
    had something to do with the conception and there would undoubtedly be a
    jury out there willing to listen to a liar ... er, lawyer argue the kid
    wouldn't have burnt his hand if he hadn't been conceived in the first place.

    MyndPhlyp, Aug 24, 2004
  19. Yousuf Khan

    Lee Waun Guest

    >> None of the above. Your wife was the one who
    >> left the stove unattended while the burner was
    >> hot. :-D

    > Ah - no good. She would have grounds for a countersuit since I
    > (presumably)
    > had something to do with the conception and there would undoubtedly be a
    > jury out there willing to listen to a liar ... er, lawyer argue the kid
    > wouldn't have burnt his hand if he hadn't been conceived in the first
    > place.

    Well then your parents should be sued for concieving you as they made you
    etc.

    Why not just everyone sue everyone. Wait in America they do do that.

    Lee Waun, Aug 25, 2004
  20. Yousuf Khan

    Grumble Guest

    [OT] McDonald's coffee (was: Microsoft shortens Windows name)

    MyndPhlyp wrote:

    > If that were true, McDonalds and Burger King would not have been sued by
    > people spilling commonly known hot beverages in their laps. We might have a
    > foundation here for a class action lawsuit. Hmmm.
    >
    > (I wonder ... if my kid burns his hand on the stove, who would I sue: the
    > stove manufacturer, the electric company, the installer, the supplier, the
    > interior designer, the landlord? After all, our (US) court system has pretty
    > much accepted we are not responsible for our own actions these days.)

    The infamous "McDonald's coffee case" is definitely *NOT* an example of
    frivolous lawsuits.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald's_coffee_case

    --
    Regards, Grumble