Outlook Microsoft Outlook 2003 new message indicator

Reaction score
Hi

Apologies in advance for appalling lack of technical know-how :bow:

I have a HP laptop running Windows 2003 XP Professional. Normally when I get a new message, Outlook briefly indicates the sender, message title, accompanied by a pinging noise. My little staus indicator bar in the bottom right hand corner displays an envelope until the message is read.

Today, every time I recieve a new message, outlook pings and displays the item 3 times and 3 envelopes appear in my status bar. Only 1 envelope disappears when I read the message.

Could anyone please tell me what could be causing this??

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK, now my status indicator bar is filling up with envelopes

.....and I can't seem to get rid of them.......help! please?

Reaction score
...and my Send/Receive function won't work

If I haven't entered enough technical info, please tell me what you want to know

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure what to advise for this problem - you could try and detect and repair/diagnostics from the help menu, but that's a long shot :(

edit: a workaround might be to make the icon always hidden in the system tray properties page?

Reaction score
Thank you so much for replying. I tried that but Send/Receive still won't even run, let alone deliver. I can't seem to connect to our exchange server either....

Reaction score
More.....

Apparently, when I send an e-mail, the recipients are recieving the mail 3 times!

I tried to open Outlook today and this message came up,

"Outlook experienced a serious error the last time the add-in 'c:\programfiles\network associates\virusscan\scanemal.dll' was opened.

Would you like to disable this add-in?"

Could this have anything to do with it?

This is causing a massive problem and our IT guy is scratching his head....I'd be so so grateful for anything you can come up with.

Ask a Question