Microsoft Office 2003

I give up! My Windows XP simply cannot stomach Service Pack 2 -- which, in
turn, is required to download and install Microsoft Office (Student/Home)
2007.

So, question: Is there a place on the web where I can download Microsoft
Office (Student/Home) in its 2003 version? And does the latter version also
require SP2?

Thanks very much!

Ron Roizen
Wallace, Idaho

DL

No MS Office products are a free download, nor is Office2003 obtainable
other than from retailers who may still have stocks

Perhaps post your problem details as why sp2 fails

Bob Harris

XP pre-SP2 can also run Office 97, except for OUTLOOK 97, which won't work
under XP. However, you may need Office 97 SP-2 (distinct from XP SP-2) for
it to work correctly. Office 97 might be available on eBay, or from someone
tossing an win98/ME generation computer.

An alternative to Microsoft Office is Open Office. Open Office is free, and
available at:

http://www.openoffice.org/

Open Office can run under many operating systems, including older versions
of Windows.

It can read/write DOC, XLS, etc, and feels a lot like Miscosoft Office.

And, it can be installed on a computer that already has (or might some day
have) Microsoft Office, without interferring with Microsoft Office.

Thank you for this reply, DL. I did not mean a "free download" -- I'm happy
to pay for the product. I'm looking for a trail-period download to see if
Office 2003 will work on my Windows XP -- in other words, so I don't buy 2003
outright and then find that it cannot work.

I used to own Office (Student/Home) 2003 but that was before my computer
experienced some problem that required me to use the "restore" utility. Now,
post-restore, I'm not sure what my Windows XP will and will not do.

Ron

Bob, thanks for your reply! I checked out "Open Office" but I'm reluctant to
use it because of the needs of sending text files and other kinds of files to
others -- i.e., who will be using Microsoft Office elements. Do you happen
to know if:

1. There is a web place where I can trail-download Office (Student/Home)
2003?
2. Whether Office 2003 requires the SP2 program, which my Windows XP cannot
use?

Thanks again!

Ron

i inadverdently sent you
to downloads to MSO07.

but wouldn't hurt to give
them a go if you are trying
to do a little analysis and testing.

however, you will have to overcome
and resolve the issues with SP-2.

what most do not know is that
each windows has 2 free technical
support tickets for assistance
from a microsoft technician.

however, any issues regarding
updates are always free from
microsoft as well.

what happens when you install
SP-2?

what is the configuraton of your
computer in regards to type, cpu,
ram size, hard drive size and
free hard disk space?

--

db ·´¯`·.¸. said:
<)))º>·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><)))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

..

Thanks for your reply, db!

I take it from your comment that I'll need SP2 to run even Office 2003.
This is perplexing because my computer used to run Office (Home/Student) 2003
before the Great Crash and my need to invoke the "restore" utility.

My SP2 fails by seemingly jamming on the stage where it is reviewing my
computer's software. I've let that stage run for hours, but it never ends.

I wish I were computer-savvy enough to know what sort of Windows XP I'm
running -- i.e., beyond that my "properties" pulldown says "Windows XP Home
Edition 2002."

Thanks for your time!

Ron

not sure if you need
sp2 to run regular ol'
MSO03.

but due to SP2 having
major renovations, it
is heavily relied upon
by many of todays programs.

to get some idea about
your computer you can click on
START then RUN and
enter the following
command:

msinfo32

--

db ·´¯`·.¸. said:
<)))º>·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><)))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

..

Here are the reports from msinfo32, below. Hope they mean something to you
-- they're greek to me. Thanks!

P.S. What is a "ticket"?:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name YOUR-46E94OWX6A
System Manufacturer HP Pavilion 061
System Model PC109A-ABA A630N
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2800 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2800 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 3.04, 7/5/2004
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\System32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)"
User Name YOUR-46E94OWX6A\Owner
Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 149.22 MB
Total Virtual Memory 1.69 GB
Available Virtual Memory 974.45 MB
Page File Space 1.20 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name YOUR-46E94OWX6A
System Manufacturer HP Pavilion 061
System Model PC109A-ABA A630N
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2800 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2800 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 3.04, 7/5/2004
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\System32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)"
User Name YOUR-46E94OWX6A\Owner
Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 141.54 MB
Total Virtual Memory 1.69 GB
Available Virtual Memory 954.46 MB
Page File Space 1.20 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Patrick Keenan

roninwallace said:
Thanks for your reply, db!

I take it from your comment that I'll need SP2 to run even Office 2003.

Apparently not.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822129

This lists the requirements as Windows 2000 SP3 or XP, no service pack
listed.
This is perplexing because my computer used to run Office (Home/Student)
2003
before the Great Crash and my need to invoke the "restore" utility.

My SP2 fails by seemingly jamming on the stage where it is reviewing my
computer's software. I've let that stage run for hours, but it never
ends.

How are you installing SP2? From Windows Update or from a local copy of
the (266meg) complete installer?

Detach non-essential hardware, like printers and scanners and external
drives. Clear out temp files. And it's always a good idea to back up
your data before major system changes.

Would suggest perhaps that you download the file and install locally, or
slipstream your XP CD (not all CDs can be slipstreamed) with Autostreamer
and do a repair install. This will update the system to SP2. Yes, you
will then need to apply all the post-SP2 updates that you probably can't get
now anyway.

Get the full version here:
http://tinyurl.com/5bobl
which is
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...BE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Autostreamer:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Autostreamer.shtml

Autostreamer is the easiest way to update your XP CD (actually, to make an
updated copy of it). Not all XP CDs can be slipstreamed; if an OEM, say..
..Dell - added other updates, the slipstream will fail. But it's cheap to
try and if it works, you're far ahead.

I wish I were computer-savvy enough to know what sort of Windows XP I'm
running -- i.e., beyond that my "properties" pulldown says "Windows XP
Edition 2002."

You're running XP Home, probably SP1. The label on the original CD, if
it's not a "restore" CD, will tell you what SP level it is.

HTH
-pk

Hi again, db.

I tried the "ticket" you supplied. They said I should call a phone number
for a "Public Information Team."

Is it only me, or is web and other online assistance always so completely
hopeless?

I have been trying for more than three days to find out what the problem is
and I'm hardly any closer to the solution than I was when I started.

Fhhwew!

Ron

that's odd.
can you please copy and paste
that email with their response in the

Here is the exchange so far. Read from bottom up. I have received no reply
(at least not yet) to my second email.

Thank you for your reply. May I infer that you do not offer technical
support? I mentioned in my first email that I was also attempting to
download and use Office 2007, but I could not get my Windows XP to accept
Service Pack 2. Do you have any advice in this regard?