Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Dr. Indera, Mar 18, 2010.

  1. Dr. Indera

    Dr. Indera Guest

    hello,

    this update tried to install when i logged off of my computer. apparently it
    failed.
    now, some other software that relies on the .net framework will not work.
    i tried to reinstall it from windows update, but i get the message below
    saying it was not installed

    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family
    Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86--

    i searched for kb951847 which i did not find anything that was helpful

    i have windows xp pro sp3 installed.

    i have no clue what to do.

    any help would be greatly appreciated.
    thank you

    Tracy
    * * * * * * * * * *

    Dr. Indera, Mar 18, 2010

  2. Dr. Indera

    LD55ZRA Guest

    You need to download the full package from here:

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/e/20e90413-712f-438c-988e-fdaa79a8ac3d/dotnetfx35.exe

    Please also switch off your Automatic Updates because Microsoft has started
    pedalling useless updates that will only wreck your system not secure it.

    hth

    LD55ZRA, Mar 18, 2010

  3. Long time, no see!

    When installing updates using Windows update or Microsoft Update you may
    receive Error 0x643 or 0x80070643 (23 Oct-09)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982

    Step #1 => Before doing anything else, write down what .NET Framework
    versions are currently installed:

    How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
    whether service packs have been applied
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/kb00318785.aspx

    Step #2 => Now see Resolution Method 2 in this related KB article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100

    After running the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool (not the Windows Installer
    Cleanup utility), reinstall all .NET Framework versions (but only the ones
    you wrote down in #1 above) manually using the download links on the page
    then run Windows Update manually to install security updates for same.

    NB: If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) using the tool, reinstalling .NET
    Framework 3.5 will also install .Net Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2; then
    Windows Update will offer .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

    IMPORTANT! => If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1), reinstall your .NET
    Framework versions in the following order:

    1. .Net Framework 3.5, then...
    2. .Net Framework 1.1, then...
    3. .Net Framework 1.1 SP1

    NB: KB923100 references this page:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx. Please read
    ALL of it as well as the related page
    http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx before using the .NET
    Framework Cleanup Tool.

    Step #3 => Check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security
    updates offered.

    PA Bear [MS MVP], Mar 18, 2010
  4. Dr. Indera

    Tracy Guest

    hello,

    i'm downloading the full package now.

    should automatic updates be set to "manual" or "disabled"?
    i currently have it set to disabled, but want to make sure that i understand
    what you are saying.
    thank you
    --

    Tracy
    * * * * * * * * * *

    "LD55ZRA" <> wrote in message
    : You need to download the full package from here:
    :
    :
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/e/20e90413-712f-438c-988e-fdaa79a8ac3d/dotnetfx35.exe
    :
    : Please also switch off your Automatic Updates because Microsoft has
    started
    : pedalling useless updates that will only wreck your system not secure it.
    :
    : hth
    :
    : "Dr. Indera" <> wrote in message
    : news:%...
    : > hello,
    : >
[...]
    : > * * * * * * * * * *
    : >
    : >
    : >
    : >
    :
    :

    Tracy, Mar 18, 2010
  5. Dr. Indera

    Tracy Guest

    Re: errors during install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86

    hello,

    i ran the file on the link below.

    it did not install.
    i got the following error messages in the log file

    [03/18/10,09:53:58] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 x86: [2] Error:
    Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 x86. MSI
    returned error code 1603
    [03/18/10,09:54:08] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework
    3.0 SP2 x86 is not installed.

    i searched for the ".NET Framework 3.0 SP2 x86 " update file, but could not
    find it.
    why can't there be ONE page called "net framework files", that has links to
    all installation files for all versions?

    i am no expert, but this seems messy to me.
    i'm going to see if there is a way to blow all of this away and start over
    from version 1.

    --

    Tracy
    * * * * * * * * * *

    "LD55ZRA" <> wrote in message
    : You need to download the full package from here:
    :
    :
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/e/20e90413-712f-438c-988e-fdaa79a8ac3d/dotnetfx35.exe
    :
    : Please also switch off your Automatic Updates because Microsoft has
    started
    : pedalling useless updates that will only wreck your system not secure it.
    :
    : hth
    :
    : "Dr. Indera" <> wrote in message
    : news:%...
    : > hello,
    : >

    Tracy, Mar 18, 2010
  6. Re: errors during install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5(KB951847) x86

    Start by making sure that the required file and registry permissions are
    properly set:

    http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/09/04/739820.aspx
    Solving setup errors by using the SubInACL tool to repair file and
    registry permissions

    John

    John John - MVP, Mar 18, 2010
  7. "Dr. Indera" <> wrote in message
    > hello,
    >
    > this update tried to install when i logged off of my computer. apparently
    > it
    > failed.
    > now, some other software that relies on the .net framework will not work.
    > i tried to reinstall it from windows update, but i get the message below
    > saying it was not installed
    >
    > Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family
    > Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86--
    >

    > i searched for kb951847 which i did not find anything that was helpful
    >
    > i have windows xp pro sp3 installed.
    >
    > i have no clue what to do.
    >
    > any help would be greatly appreciated.
    > thank you

    If all else fails, you might try uninstalling .NET Framework and then
    re-installing .NET Framework.

    Uninstalling .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
    http://blogs.msdn.com/dougste/archive/2008/08/19/uninstalling-net-framework-3-5-sp1.aspx

    Installing .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on a Windows XP machine is currently a
    three step process. I just installed it on two Windows XP Home Edition
    machines recently that have never had .NET Framework installed on them, and
    the following is the procedure I used to get it installed and working on
    those two machines:

    Step 1
    Download the Full Package Installer and save it to your Desktop.

    ..NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (Full Package)
    Filename: dotnetfx35.exe
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/e/20e90413-712f-438c-988e-fdaa79a8ac3d/dotnetfx35.exe

    Step 2
    After running the Full Package Installer for .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 from
    your Desktop, visit the following site and download and install the three
    patches offer there:

    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...450b0212565&amp;displaylang=en&displaylang=en

    NOTE: These Patches must be installed in the following order:
    Install the update for the .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 -
    NDP20SP2-KB958481-x86.exe
    Install the update for the .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 -
    NDP30SP2-KB958483-x86.exe
    Install the update for the .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 -
    NDP35SP1-KB958484-x86.exe

    Step 3
    After completing steps 1 and 2, visit Microsoft Updates and install the the
    following three patches:

    First............KB961118
    Second........KB963707
    Third...........KB974417

    Good luck,

    Donald Anadell

    Donald Anadell, Mar 18, 2010
  8. Dr. Indera

    Unknown Guest

    You'll have to learn to ignore ANONYMOUS alias LD55ZRA. Microsoft does NOT
    pedall useless updates. Common sense. Why would they destroy their own
    business. LD55ZRA is a local troll and a prankster college student in
    London.

    Unknown, Mar 18, 2010
  9. See
    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/0239e1b2536154db

    Tracy wrote:
    > hello,
    >
    > i'm downloading the full package now.
    >
    > should automatic updates be set to "manual" or "disabled"?
    > i currently have it set to disabled, but want to make sure that i
    > understand
    > what you are saying.
    > thank you
    >
    > "LD55ZRA" <> wrote in message
    >> You need to download the full package from here:
    >>

    > http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/e/20e90413-712f-438c-988e-fdaa79a8ac3d/dotnetfx35.exe
    >>
    >> Please also switch off your Automatic Updates because Microsoft has
    >> started
    >> pedalling useless updates that will only wreck your system not secure it.
    >>
    >> hth
    >>
    >> "Dr. Indera" <> wrote in message
    >>> hello,
    >>>
    >>> this update tried to install when i logged off of my computer.
    >>> apparently
    >>> it

    PA Bear [MS MVP], Mar 18, 2010
  10. Dr. Indera

    Tracy Guest

    hey there!

    ye, it has been a while.
    i decided to start from scratch, because i was just too confused.
    i removed it with the tool you recommended and got all the way up to 3.5
    sp1, without any installation problems, so i stopped while i am ahead
    (smile).
    now, i have to figure out why i can't install the other software.

    i had hoped that because i had an image with all of this working, that i
    could restore parts of the image, but that didn't work either.

    is there any software that lets you do partial restores or restores on a
    software by software basis?

    thank you
    --

    Tracy
    * * * * * * * * * *

    "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <> wrote in message
    : Long time, no see!
    :
[...]
    : Dr. Indera wrote:
    : > hello,
    : >

    Tracy, Mar 18, 2010
  11. Dr. Indera

    Tracy Guest

    that is exactly what i did.
    blew it all away and started over.
    sadly that is often the best way to fix something that you don't know how it
    got messed up to begin with.

    thank you
    --

    Tracy
    * * * * * * * * * *

    "Donald Anadell" <> wrote in message
    :
    : "Dr. Indera" <> wrote in message
    : news:%...
    : > hello,
    : >

    Tracy, Mar 18, 2010
  12. "Tracy" <> wrote in message
    > that is exactly what i did.
    > blew it all away and started over.
    > sadly that is often the best way to fix something that you don't know how
    > it
    > got messed up to begin with.
    >
    > thank you

    You're welcome, glad you got it sorted out.

    Good luck,

    Donald Anadell

    Donald Anadell, Mar 19, 2010
  13. Dr. Indera

    LD55ZRA Guest

    Re: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86

    Tracy wrote:

    >hello,
    >
    >i'm downloading the full package now.
    >
    >should automatic updates be set to "manual" or "disabled"?
    >i currently have it set to disabled, but want to make sure that i understand
    >what you are saying.
    >thank you

    I would turn off Automatic Updates completely because there is no marked
    improvement to my enjoyment of using Windows XP nor there is any
    improvement in security of Windows XP. All the evidence point s to
    destabilization of Windows OS by these updates since September 2009 when
    Windows 7 was officially released. Microsoft's idea is to force
    everybody to move on to Windows 7 even if some people would have to buy
    a new machine altogether.

    hth

    LD55ZRA, Mar 19, 2010
  14. Dr. Indera

    aqua Guest

    aqua, Jul 5, 2010
  15. Dr. Indera

    Randem Guest

    Re: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5

    1 - Go to Add/Remove Programs and remove all .NET installations.
    2 - Download the .NET removal tool from MS to remove all evidence of the
    ..NET Installation
    3 - Download the .NET installations 1.1sp1, 2.0sp2, 3.0 and 3.5sp1
    4 - Install them in order.
    5 - If that fails you may need to install the VC++ 2005 and 2008 Runtime
    files then try again.

    This shoudl get you back to working order. If not then your system has been
    seriously compromised and you may need to re-install.

    --
    The Top Inno Setup Script Generator - http://www.randem.com/innoscript.html
    Free Utilities and Code - http://www.randem.com/freesoftutil.html

    Randem, Jul 5, 2010