Windows 10 Microsoft might charge customers a monthly fee to manage Windows and Updates?

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
If Microsoft plans to start charging me for an OS that I downloaded for free, I will just stop using it to be honest :mad:
This just seals the deal when it comes to me switching to another OS :user:
But the thing is that a good Linux laptop with the specs that I want starts at 650 bucks :wall:
And I won't buy used, refurbished yes, but never used cause it might have problems :fool:
Have you guys seen the new Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 ??? :drool: It's amazing, it starts at 650 also :(

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
It will be a sad day

I'm not sure how sad I would be, I would probably get angry about it. Then I will joyfully try to switch to Linux again.
I'm definitely going to buy a Samsung computer running Android when I have the money. :drool::lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
This rumour comes round occasionally then usually quietly goes away again. I suppose it's one line of thought MS might take.

I wonder how they'd enforce it? What if I just used Windows for (offline) gaming and Linux for all online activity including downloading of patches for games that only run in Windows? Would MS still charge an initial fee for an OS?

I think if they still charged between 40 and 180 for Windows 10 as is the current situation (more or less) they'd have a hard job justifying a monthly fee.

When this rumour periodically rears its head lots of people shout 'I'll use Linux!' but in my experience if a user is used to Windows it's really quite difficult to switch 100% to Linux, even using a simple OS like Mint. I honestly don't think I could get on just using Linux as I like games too much and there are also other aspects of Windows that I'd miss. I'm ok using a hybrid of two OS's, fine, but completely using one or the other I'm not sure about.

Would I quit MS if they were to charge monthly? Maybe, and I'd also try and find a way round the problem 'illegally' probably. Do I like Windows? Not much, no, I hate their attitude, their slyness and their subterfuge and they're too damn intrusive but there are parts of Windows that I like, yes.

But I doubt if this will come to anything. No idle boasts here about eating my hat or suchlike though, just in case ;)

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
But I doubt if this will come to anything.

I hope this doesn't come true, cause I wouldn't pay monthly for an OS that is intrusive and breaks the PC whenever it updates.

You're right, I'm saying I'd switch to Linux, but I'm not sure how easy that would be. I've tried twice recently and ran into issues that I couldn't resolve. So it's more likely that I'll be switching to Chrome OS.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
AFAIK this rumour is in reference to 'Windows Managed Desktop' which I think will be aimed at businesses only

Windows 10 Leak Exposes Microsoft's New Monthly Charge

So what’s the good news? At this time, Foley believes Microsoft Managed Desktop will be targeted at businesses. But the obvious question, given the clear direction Microsoft is moving becomes: for how long?

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
which I think will be aimed at businesses only

OK, let's say that's it's only charging businesses, why should they pay repeatedly for an OS that they already payed a premium for? I guess they could justify the cost because Windows 10 for Business now has advanced threat protection software. But shouldn't an OS automatically protect itself from malware? Why are all these OS's so open to attack?

I heard a rumor that they put the holes in their OS on purpose because they government told them to. The intelligence agency wants an easy way to access your computer and spy on you.

That's just what I heard, I don't know if it's true. ;):user:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
OK, let's say that's it's only charging businesses, why should they pay repeatedly for an OS that they already payed a premium for?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's necessarily right. I guess businesses have different demands than private users though, and may need more support, so maybe it makes sense to charge them differently :confused:

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
I guess businesses have different demands than private users

Yes they do, I wonder if Microsoft will provide a warranty that states, "If our updates brick your computer, we will replace your hardware"

Then it wouldn't be so bad paying a monthly fee :cheers:

But I don't think they'll do that :mad:

Ask a Question