Microsoft Image Composite Editor

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
I guess... this here thingy works like a train toilet! Urmas likes!

:D

One more screenshot... the above panorama, in "Fast Preview", right after having been stiched together. NOT very pretty. At that point.

happywave.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Afotografer's pics one and two were taken on a different day to pic three. That is why Huggin was complaining. ;)
Be nice to see a side by side comparison of the two programs results. Can you DB me your two or will that be three pics. :D

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Afotografer's pics one and two were taken on a different day to pic three. That is why Huggin was complaining. ;)
Be nice to see a side by side comparison of the two programs results. Can you DB me your two or will that be three pics. :D
Yeah... one of the six pics I used [the... ahem... rightmost one] above was "too weird"... I had to enter stitch points manually. Easy-peasy, really.

Anyway... one .tiff file being Dropboxed as I type (it's huge, sorry! Should've converterted it first to .jpg, but...)

(Deleted the full reso image of that first panorama... again, sorry.)

Reaction score
yes it can

floppybootstomp said:
Can Hugin do vertical stitches as well as horizontal?

I ask as I'm trying to piece together several different scanned pix of a 12" vinyl album, the double inner pic, and Canon's Photo-Stitch just won't hack it. The Canon software was supplied with my camera.

Same question applies to the MS ICE thingie.

I was going to ask for links to suitable free software, this subject prompted me.

you have to go to the images tab, look down where it says orientation, go to roll options and mess arounr with it, depending on how you want your image to be seen if its in horizontal, use 90 or 180 degrees to see how it works

Reaction score
Urmas said:
Um. I installed Hugin from Ubuntu repos (Version 2009.2.0.4461, the "2010 version" isn't in official repos yet).

Opened it:

Assistant... hmmm... all right. I fed it three of Afotografer's pics... I aimed for realism, so I included some laundry into the mix:

"1. Load images..."

img0282dj.jpg

img0283rn.jpg

img0326uvf.jpg

Three photos in, what next? Um... time to hit the "2. Align..." button? OK... a small terminal window opens, computing computing computing (took a minute or so with this old 1 GHz lappy with 1 GB RAM), then, output:

Images are connected by 26 control points.
Mean error after optimization: 3.2 pixel, max: 17.2
Bad fit, some control points might be bad, or there are parallax or movement errors

Aha... wonder what that means in real life... "3. Create panorama..."

Whaddayaknow... a wee cropping job, and:

(It seems that Huggin – at least the "2009 version" wants to save the end result as .tif.)

So... 1-2-3... no rocket science needed. Which is good, because I am not a rocket scientist.

:p

Can't comment on that (I couldn't find a .deb package in manufacturer's pages). But no paracetamols were hurt during this quick test... and coffee consumption stayed within accepted limits – 2-3 liters per day.

happywave.gif
its not true, with hugin you can save as .tf, .png or .jpgs...did you ever go to the stitcher tab???

and about the parallax or movement errors, they are inherent to the pictures...it was probally an involuntary error made by the photographer, did you ever took a closer look to the last and second pic??noted something wrong with the flowers?theres your error...that error is common in stitching software..the only way to get arount it is to edit the picture where there are flowers at the bottom and apply masks to it...But then again, the picture presents movement and a slight change in colors.

im currently using hugin last build, 2010 one, theres one coming soon right now due to the fact that libpano got a new release...and it adds new projections.

Just a quick tip, whenever you are done aigning images, go to the optimiser tab and optimize the final image to get better looking panoramas..You can manuall edit control points in the picture also.

Hugin saves .tif default...if you dont change the picture savings option tab in stitcher tab that is...

Reaction score
Urmas said:
I guess... this here thingy works like a train toilet! Urmas likes!

:D

One more screenshot... the above panorama, in "Fast Preview", right after having been stiched together. NOT very pretty. At that point.

happywave.gif

did you tried cropping?you can crop the pano or individual images.

Reaction score
this is a single row panorama made from 7 images with hugin, the most complex one i ever made was 110 images...

panoramicacilindricadee.png

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
That is some serious picture Huginuser :bow:

thank you buddy,,,Hugin is not that hard to learn, its actually a GUI for panorama tools...im currently making some panroamic videos with HUGIN and FFMPEG..

ill post later some other pictures ive made with it...the action in HUGIN lies in the fast preview window and preview window and in the stitcher tab...

You have to learn from your mistakes and errors in photography to learn how to use the program and take better pictures.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
huginuser said:
this is a single row panorama made from 7 images with hugin, the most complex one i ever made was 110 images...

panoramicacilindricadee.png

Is it me or is that image fisheyed?