Microphone Settings Problem

Reaction score
Just a month ago, my mic would work with chat programs. Now, it won't. It works fine in Sound Recorder, so I know that the hardware is functioning, but it doesn't seem to want to work in any chat programs.

In my audio properties, the only option I have from the drop-down menus is my sound card for both playback and recording. Recording also has no advanced tab.

To add to that, the speaker portion of my headset doesn't work.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
wow, that sounds kinda bad :confused: !. muckshifter will probly know

edit - did your mic come with any discs or anythin?

Reaction score
Nah, it didn't come with anything, it's a 3.5 mm jack so it goes through the sound card. I got the mic to work on chat now, but now the headphone portion only works when I plug it into the speaker jack, and not the line-in jack.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
danny_flux said:
Nah, it didn't come with anything, it's a 3.5 mm jack so it goes through the sound card. I got the mic to work on chat now, but now the headphone portion only works when I plug it into the speaker jack, and not the line-in jack.

I'm not surprised, the line in jack is exactly that - a socket for taking sound signals IN, not to drive headphones.

If you want to stop the bother of disconnecting your speakers each time you use headphones, get a 'Y' splitter cable and plug both in. Or get a set of speakers with a headphone socket.

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Have you tried looking at the "Sound & Audio Devices Properties" in your Control Panel?

There should be a tab for VOICE in there, and inside that there are settings for your default voice recording and playback devices.

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, floppybootstomp. I figured it might be that. That's really peculiar, though, because the headphone plug shares the line-in jack's colour.

At least now I know why it's such a hassle. Think a USB headset might be easier to work with?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've used a USB headset, if you do go that route, make sure you get a good quality set, as the cheaper ones are a bit tinny.

You also have to access sound control panel each time you want to use them and switch.

If you're using a 2.1 loudspeaker system, it would probably be easier to buy a good 2.1 loudspeaker system with a headphone socket. Wouldn't cost you a great deal more either.

Logitech are good, their cheapest quality 2.1 system is about £55.00.

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I've used a USB headset, if you do go that route, make sure you get a good quality set, as the cheaper ones are a bit tinny.
I've tried jack and USB headsets, and I'd suggest you go USB everytime.

Plantronics are doing a very good pair of digital USB 'phones for around £35.00 on Amazon.co.uk if you're interested. The sound quality on these is brilliant!:thumb:

Ask a Question