Merge two partitions

mdt

Subject: Merge two partitions

My hard drive is currently in two partitions. In one I have Windows XP. In the other I have Linux. How can I remove the Linux partition and make the space available for Windows?

David H. Lipman

From: "mdt" <[email protected]>

| Subject: Merge two partitions
|
| My hard drive is currently in two partitions. In one I have Windows XP. In the other I
| have Linux. How can I remove the Linux partition and make the space available for
| Windows?

Via the software Partition Magic.

Jon

mdt said:

My hard drive is currently in two partitions. In one I have Windows XP. In the other I have Linux. How can I remove the Linux partition and make the space available for Windows?
Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc

Right-click the partition and choose delete

Jon

you called it "Merge Partitions" but the way you describe it; is you just
want to make Linux HD space available for Windows to use instead.

Can do several ways:
1) You make HDD one big fat partition (ie merge). Using Partition Magic.
there be "may be" problems. I'm not familiar with Linux or Partition Magic.
Obviously Linux must have its own file system and format.
2) just delete second partiton and format with Windows. This way you have
first partion as Windows and second for backup. Probably could use Linux CD
or Windows CD to remove Linux partition.

Ken Blake, MVP

mdt said:

My hard drive is currently in two partitions. In one I have Windows
XP. In the other I have Linux. How can I remove the Linux partition
and make the space available for Windows?

Unfortunately, no version of Windows or DOS has ever had the ability to
change the partition structure of a drive without losing all the data on it.
To do so requires the use of a third-party program. Partition Magic is the
best-known such program, but there are shareware/freeware alternatives. One
shareware product that gets good reports from several MVPs (although I
haven't used it personally) is Bootit Next Generation.

jim

You CAN use XP to reformat the Linux partition and use Partition Majic to
resize the secnd partition however, there will have to be a minimal sized
2nd partition. I suppose you could also use what little of a 2nd partition
for your windows swap file. In my opinion XP runs better with a NTFS format,
I see better performance with the NTFS structure.

dreamtheater_142

Hello guys,
Merging partitions it meens that 2 partitions become 1 and if you have
a good software all data will be saved.
In your case you shouldn't merge, if you won't need linux anymore you
can just format this partition and than increase size of Windows
partition.
Or you can simple convert Linux partition (after deleting OS) to NTFS
or FAT32.
For doinig it I would use Acronis Disk Director
[http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/], as it
could easily do in Windows.
By the way with good-looking foolproof wizard.
Experienced method!