Menus use: "All Users"vs. a specific user

Bob

Goal: set up win2k multi user system so that all users have the same
initial menus, but as (power) users can install their own application
software and have it affect only their menus / desktop.

So far: I've set up a system with multi user (stand alone, no domain)
accounts. To make sure that everyone has all the same menus and
desktop to start with, I moved all those entries to the
"all users" from the installing user (admins). The individual users
have no entries on their start menus except for MS-IE since it really
wants to do its own thing. So, far, so good.

What next?: Everything looks good right now. However, I don't know
what will happen when a user installs software. Will it go to
"all users" or to that specific user? Would I be better off physically
copying the desktop & start menu from the "all users" area to each
individual user ? I'm a little worried since when I made a change for
one user while logged in under a user account (not admin), I got a
message about the change affecting all users on the system - which
leads me to believe it is changing "all users" even though the users
is just a power user, not an admin. Advice?

Thanks.

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: Bob <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
Subject: Menus use: "All Users"vs. a specific user
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 00:00:57 GMT

--

Bob,

You might want to make a backup of the All Users profile just in case. The rest unfortunately depends on the program
being installed. Some will ask if you want to make it available to only the user doing the installing or all users and
depending on the response it decided to add entries to that user's profile or the All Users profile. Some will automatically
install only for the installing user while others will automatically install for all users. It really depends on the program being
installed.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.