Memory Update Ibm Laptop

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi

Quad's not around at the moment so I hope one of you guys can help me.

Last year, I bought an IBM Thinkpad R52 laptop and when I bought it, I thought the memory (512 MB RAM) was more than enough.

I use the laptop for work stuff: wordprocessing, spreadsheets, internet searching etc... - nothing fancy.

However, it seems as slow as a snail and I am wondering whether to upgrade the memory. There's not that much on the hard drive to be honest and nothing that would slow it down appreciably.

My questions are:

Add more memory: yes or no
If so - how much memory
Approximate cost to add more memory

Thanks guys :)

Love as always

Gabriella x

Last edited:
Reaction score
Go to Crucial.com and they have a tool which lets you put in the computer details and it will tell you what type of memory you need.

Reaction score
yes sunflower queen how r u?!!!

please add some more memory stick in there another 512mb card
crucial are really good
they got my vote too! :)

itll def speed it up

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Has it always been that slow, or has it just got slower since you bought it? If it's always been like that, another 512MB ram will be of great help (if you have a spare slot). I'd recommend crucial.com/uk too.

If it has slowed down over time then it may be time for a spring clean to smooth out the system :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I brand new system will "slow down" over time, nothing to do with nasties, though you should still keep an eye on that, but more to do with you and how you use the system.

XP's "sweet spot" for memory is 1.5Gb, whereby having less means Windows is trying to catch its breath all the time and has to resort to using the hard drive as an overflow, more than 1.5gm ram is/can be a bit of a waste ... however, with dual-channel motherboards, it is better to use two sticks, that will equate to, 1gb or 2 gb ... you really only need more than 2gb for XP if you are in to high end graphics 3d rendering. And no, even games do not need more than 2gb ram

Simple answer from me ... add another 512 ... I'll second Crucial as a source. ;)

user.gif

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Another 512 mb it is.

There's no nasties and it has become slower since it was networked. Works perfectly well but just not fast enough.

Thanks alot - I'm fine thanks PSD :)

Love

Gabs xx

Reaction score
gabriella said:
Thanks guys. Another 512 mb it is.

There's no nasties and it has become slower since it was networked. Works perfectly well but just not fast enough.

Thanks alot - I'm fine thanks PSD :)

Love

Gabs xx

good to hear

well sunflowers are dead now
the garden is dead

21st november today
i make it three full months till the start of spring
yikes its going to be a long winter!!! :(

spring is my favourate time of year
the birds begin to sing
the trees blossom
the days get longer
and most importantly the growing season of the sunflowers starts!!!

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
We had some beauties this year (sunflowers) in my part of the UK PSD :)

Gabs xx

Ask a Question