Memory replacement ?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
When I built me sisters pc I used some PC3200 ram and it worked fine . After finishing the build I decided to install some PC2700 and this worked fine in the pc . I decided to replace the PC2700 with the original PC3200 but when I tried to do this the pc failed to boot up , the screen showed "NO SIGNAL" . Replaced the PC2700 and everything worked ok .
Do I need to reset the coms to get the PC3200 to work or am I missing something else .

:blush:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Do I need to reset the coms to get the PC3200 to work or am I missing something else ...
No, you should not need to reset the BIOS, however, if you ain't getting it to boot then the only option I can suggest IS to reset the BIOS ... make sure you go in the BIOS on first boot and check all settings.

Did you make sure the Ram was pushed in firmly ... at worst, the thing should Beep at you.

I take it as read, that the 3200 can work with the MB and you ain't mixing the two ?

:user:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Only trying one type of memory at a time . Tried the PC3200 in both slots and checked for correct seating . Never heard no beeps but that could be a dodgy speaker . The screen is blank apart from " NO SIGNAL" will I be able to get into bios under theses conditions by pressing "DELETE" ? I'm a bit flumoxed as this ram worked when I built the pc . Thanks for your help . :blush:

muckshifter

Reaction score
If you think 3200 is going to make that much of a difference, then this is one of the FEW occasions I would suggest resetting the BIOS

The PC ain't booting with the 3200 installed, plain & simple, either go back to the 2700 or reset the BIOS.

user.gif

Reaction score
Well, if it worked before you changed it out with the 2700, and you try resetting the bios and it still doesn't work, you might have shorted out that stick of 3200 somehow, remember to always ground yourself when working on your PC!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
No Signal?

Monitor lead aint plugged in properly at back!!!

Cable fine , put PC2700 in and it works so its not the cable . Thanks .
happywave.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
DigitalDoctorTech01 said:
Well, if it worked before you changed it out with the 2700, and you try resetting the bios and it still doesn't work, you might have shorted out that stick of 3200 somehow, remember to always ground yourself when working on your PC!

As if I'd work on a pc without a grounding strap . Barbarian i may be but I'm a cautious one . Thanks .
happywave.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
If you think 3200 is going to make that much of a difference, then this is one of the FEW occasions I would suggest resetting the BIOS

The PC ain't booting with the 3200 installed, plain & simple, either go back to the 2700 or reset the BIOS.

user.gif

See post 3 . I'm not sure what you mean by going into the bios and re-setting them . Can I get into the bios if the screen is blank ? The pc is in York and I'm in Kendal so I can't try out anything until next time I visit .
bowdown.gif

muckshifter

Reaction score
Nope, I never said "go to the BIOS" ... I said reset it ... do you have the MB manual?

Have a look on page 2-3 for CLRTC ... it is the 'jumper' that resets the CMOS (another word for BIOS) ... or try page 3-17 ... on the way, have a look at page 2-12 :thumb:

My manual is ... First Edition 2004 ... let me know if yours is different. ;)

:user:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Thanks muckshifter , I have the same manual and read all the relevent parts . Have re-set coms before so am sure that I can . Will see how it goes next time I'm in York . :D

Ask a Question